Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011

Geor9ges is on a distinguished road
The scooters can be rented at all hotels but they are little 49cc's so they don't go much over 30 MPH. There are not that many traffic lights in Cuba, but vehicles tend to obey signs. Cuba, by the way, is a very safe country, lgical since ther are lots of police and military. Marinas have excellent security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2011

seanolsen is on a distinguished road
dont listen to all the sheeple go if you wish. probly best to go from somewhere else than key west or tortugas though. as big brother is watching that area
Old 02-13-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanolsen View Post
dont listen to all the sheeple go if you wish. probly best to go from somewhere else than key west or tortugas though. as big brother is watching that area
I think it’s extremely naïve for anyone visiting Cuba by yacht to assume they can avoid detection by heading to Puerto Vita through the Jumentos, for instance… The only realistic assumption to make is that someone working for Uncle Sam will know you’ve visited Cuba… the waters surrounding eastern Cuba and the Windward Passage are very closely watched, that’s the area any traffic from Jamaica or Haiti will be transiting, after all…

Years ago I heard an eye-opening story from a guy who worked drug interdiction for the Coast Guard, was the radar operator on an AWACS type aircraft… One night they were tracking a go-fast boat approaching the Caymans, but it was a squally night with heavy thunderstorms, and the guy lost contact… After a minute or so, he notified his pilot on the intercom that he had momentarily lost the guy, and was unable to re-acquire him…

After a brief interval, they heard what could only be described as “the voice of God” on their frequency: “Son, your target is at…” and read off the coordinates, speed and heading, etc…

The crew had no idea precisely where that transmission came from, though they had their hunches, of course…

The point being, our government’s surveillance and intelligence gathering capabilities in that region are astonishing, and it would be foolish for anyone approaching Cuba from the north to assume they might pass undetected… Now, what an observer will do with such information is an entirely different matter, and I obviously based on my personal experience, they simply either declined to pass the fact I had visited Cuba on to the appropriate agency, or the State Department declined to act upon it…
Old 02-13-2011
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I think it’s extremely naïve for anyone visiting Cuba by yacht to assume they can avoid detection by heading to Puerto Vita through the Jumentos, for instance… The only realistic assumption to make is that someone working for Uncle Sam will know you’ve visited Cuba… the waters surrounding eastern Cuba and the Windward Passage are very closely watched, that’s the area any traffic from Jamaica or Haiti will be transiting, after all…

Years ago I heard an eye-opening story from a guy who worked drug interdiction for the Coast Guard, was the radar operator on an AWACS type aircraft… One night they were tracking a go-fast boat approaching the Caymans, but it was a squally night with heavy thunderstorms, and the guy lost contact… After a minute or so, he notified his pilot on the intercom that he had momentarily lost the guy, and was unable to re-acquire him…

After a brief interval, they heard what could only be described as “the voice of God” on their frequency: “Son, your target is at…” and read off the coordinates, speed and heading, etc…

The crew had no idea precisely where that transmission came from, though they had their hunches, of course…

The point being, our government’s surveillance and intelligence gathering capabilities in that region are astonishing, and it would be foolish for anyone approaching Cuba from the north to assume they might pass undetected… Now, what an observer will do with such information is an entirely different matter, and I obviously based on my personal experience, they simply either declined to pass the fact I had visited Cuba on to the appropriate agency, or the State Department declined to act upon it…

I got to believe the eyes in the sky are looking right into Castro's windows. And if that's happening then they know exactly who is coming and going.
So that's why I was wanting to know about charitable organizations that might hitch a ride From Key West if I went.
Humanitarian aide is the best way in I think.
Old 04-24-2011

CapPolux is on a distinguished road
Cuba, no problem

We were in La Habana in Dic 2010, Marina Hemingway.
Our boat sail with EEUU flag, from Dry Tortuga directly to La Habana.
Of course we must do all the things with our passports and boat papers but nothing append. If you don have Visa you can have one in the marina when you arrive, US$ 14. each and you can stay with the boat there during two years.
You must have a new visa each 60 days.
The problem with Cuba, is the spears or something you need for the boat.
You cant find nothing. The cuban people are very kidness and they need help specially the kids, chocolates and pencils are welcome.
Don worry if you need to go to Cuba, do it.
Cayo Largo is a nice marina, I can recomended.
The tarifs are cheaper than USA.
Old 05-21-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Going to Cuba? Don't do it if you are a U.S. Citizen! Until relations are normalized and we have exchanged ambassadors, it will only end in tears.
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-22-2011

CapPolux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
As long as you aren't a US citizen.
We sailed on Dic 2010 from Dry Tortuga to Marina Hemingway-La Habana. our boat is a Jeanneau 38 Sunshine, with EEUU flag. Registered in
New Gulf Harbor Tampa.
We pay US$ 15 for a visa in the Marina Hemimgway when we
arrived, and another few US$ dolars for Inmigration and Health insurance.
The rates are cheaper and the boat can be there for two years, the crew only have only 60 days. The marina is old and you cant find anything there, no spares, only fuel.
When we asks about the problems with USA, they said " We dont have a
problem with USA, or the cityzents, USA has a problem with us..."
If you need to sail to Grand Cayman or Jamaica, Cayo Largo is the best place to stop, call my cuban friend " Pires" there, is a good man and very friendly. Pires is the commodore there.
They need Euros or US% dolars, dont worry, go and enjoy Cuba.
Cap Polux
Old 05-23-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I personnaly believe it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest that a US citizen should go to Cuba without proper authorization. Oh, you might get away with it but the consequences if you get caught are too dire. If US citizens really want to go to Cuba then do it right. Work on the government to lift travel restrictions.
Old 05-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
ebs001..... +1. I've said my peace above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-23-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanolsen View Post
You go first, tough guy. let us know how it turns out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.