Forespar Lightning Masterô(Static Dissipater) Who's been hit with one? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Has your boat ever been hit by lightning with a Forespar Lightning Masterô installed?
Yes 1 16.67%
No 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Having a boat nearby with a taller mast is not a solution. Ask Maine Sail. Basically, LIGHTNING DOES WHAT IT WANTS... anything you do to try and change its behavior is mainly wishful thinking and will make you feel better, but really not help at all.
Yep we have over 1200 boats in our mooring field and perhaps 90-95% of them are sailboats. Most are 30' or bigger. The same day my boat was hit a teeny tiny Cal 22 was also hit and had holes blown through it. It had one of the shortests masts in the mooring field and perhaps the most minimal or "systems" and was in a cluster of boats all over 30' whose masts were significantly taller. My boat neighbor to one side has a mast 8 feet taller than me and the other closest guy has one 10 feet taller. The guy behind me with the "lighning attractor" has a mast 2' shorter than me and was still hit. My spar is properly grounded yet my mast was not hit and my boat took and indirect hit through the ground side of the system.

My friend Kim's boat, a large racer with Carbon spar and fuzzy attractor, was also hit and the spar had to be sent out for a full inspection and repair (DO NOT GET HIT WITH A CARBON SPAR $$$$$$$$!). Lightning does what it wants to.

The only believers in "bottle brushes", "fuzzy disipators" or "lightning attractors" are those who have not YET been hit. They ALWAYS believe they have not been hit because of it UNTIL they get hit. At that point they may or may not realize it is junk science based in nothing but unproven theory.

Lightning will hit what it wants, when it wants to, snake oil devices or not..

Oh and NONE of my fuses blew. The lightning came though the ground side and the voltage is so high it often completely ignores fuses and jumps across them before blowing them. My boat was the fourth one it two weeks the surveyor had inspected due to lightning. All were different but most all had virtually no blown fuses. I have seen lightning blow a seacock off a thru-hull and vaporize bilge water enough to blow the cabin sole boards off the bilge.

The ONLY science that I see working for lightning strikes is the science of adequate INSURANCE coverage!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forespar
The "study" is the fact that since the early 1990's we have sold about10,000 units worldwide. Of these we have had reported strikes totaling 4. Not bad empirical data. Of these strikes damage was minimal. Isolated to EMP induced damage rather than direct strike damage.
Even with this said, Forespar does not claim that this device is 100%
effective. No one can make that claim.

Consider that the Boat US foundation puts your odds of getting hit at 1.2 per 1000 that make it 12 per 10,000 Forespar is claiming 4 per 10,000. This means the devices barely work if you even trust what Forespar is saying. We can also guess that there were also some hits on boats where they owner never knew who made the dissipator because it was on the boat when they bough it.. How could you report it to Forespar if you did not know who made it. Food for thought and more food for my opinion of them as "junk science"..!

From Boat US:
"You Can Run, But You Can’t Hide
Volumes have been written about methods to mitigate damage or even avert a lightning strike. Lightning, however, doesn’t seem to read them. As an example, one boat, fitted with a popular “fuzzy” static dissipater at the top of the mast was struck twice in one year; ironically, the second time the bolt hit the dissipater even though the VHF antenna right next to it was higher (claim #0308082)."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
For any nerds out there with the endurance to read it, here's a recent paper. My offer stands to put lightning rods on my neighbor's house. Works best in a tightly packed neighborhood .

http://www.bentham.org/open/jlr/articles/V001/1JLR.pdf
Old 11-03-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You guys are really screwing up my business idea. I already bought the tin foil. SD put a order in for the Reynolds-Undies. I hope he doesn read Maine's comments.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-03-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Cruisingdad,

Put my order in too! Never let science get in the way. I believe in covering all my er...bases.

Good stuff
Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
You guys are really screwing up my business idea. I already bought the tin foil. SD put a order in for the Reynolds-Undies. I hope he doesn read Maine's comments.
Trust me, we had little to do with your business ideas being screwed up...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2010
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road
I swear by my "bottle brush"
Between West End and Bimini, I had 3 strikes so close I could swear I could smell the electricity, I know that doesn't make sense, but for sure, it's how it seemed, but no direct hit.
Back at the dock in Miami, in the past four years, three other boats next to me, all with smaller masts, one a powerboat, have been struck and all electronics destroyed, the powerboat had half it's breakers welded shut.
It could be luck, bit I'll stick with what's working.
The chainplates and backstay are all grounded, and I have a fairly massive stainless centerboard, that's part of the grounding system

Mako 236
Shamrock 26
Schucker 44 Cutter
Dyer Dhow
Old 11-04-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
With all the years that I have sailed and all the boats & ships I have been on, I've only been struck once by lightening.
It hit the SSB antenna blew out the Antenna coupler and the SSB before it went to ground through the SSB's grounding strap. All that was worth saving was the carasses of those two elements.
This was a steel hulled boat so we weren't worried about anything. All the other electronics were operational and not harmed.
But all the time I have been out there and had lightening strikes all around and that was the only one.
But if you put a lightening rod or one of those bottle brushes on your mast. Be damn sure that it is well grounded to a solid grounding plate on the keel. That way you won't blow out your electronics. Unless the hit is on an antenna that is.
In fact have everything well grounded to that grounding plate
Note: a Steel or alunimum hull don't need that plate. But wood and Fiberglass hulls do....

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 11-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
delan:
We also have never been hit. But similar to your 'smelling' the lightning (ozone?) we have felt it - with our hair feeling like it's standing on end. I've heard some say that their fillings in their teeth hurt.

capecodda:
Attempted to read your link - it's more about buildings than boats. When I got to the part with the calculus, I poured myself a generous helping of rum and plodded on...whew! Don't remember the rest of it.

boasun:
Agree with grounding well to protect crew and passengers. However, with a direct hit, I doubt that grounding well will protect your electronics. While they are probably protected from a direct hit (a sure-fire electronics fryer) it's the EMP (electro magnetic pulse) which generates high amounts of voltages in the circuits of electronics which fry them. The only thing that will protect the electronics is avoiding the direct hit (with the grounding) accompanied by a Faraday cage to protect from the EMP. Though the effectiveness of the Faraday cage is still in question as well as the need for grounding and ferrous (not stainless or aluminum or the newly patented tinfoil scheme, er, business venture by cruisingdad.)

Lots of good information here, thanks! But the most convincing will be statistics. I have so far not come up with any hard information and I've looked at boat insurance companies, which aren't publishing if they have collected data. I need to contact them directly, but they don't seem to offer any way to contact them unless you want to buy insurance. (Boy, what a surprise.)

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 11-05-2010

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I don't pass this info along as my own...caveats apply, etc... this is foolproof:

Buy an expensive (the more expensive the better the result) #1 iron at a golf pro shop. Hoist it to the masthead on a halyard in such a way that it can be seen easily. that's all there is to it!
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Doesn't it have to be connected to a golfer?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.