Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
...I don't know if stern-down can be much of a concern...
On my C250 it is a big concern. The gutter around the cabin hatch is designed to drain forward into the anchor locker, from which it drains out the bottom. If the waterline is elevated in the front the slightest bit, that water drains back and collects in the back of the gutter until it gets high enough to penetrate the gasket and drain into the cabin. YMMV, but beware of these hidden design issues that can flood your boat unexpectedly.

I picked up a laser level on sale for $5 at Radio Shack and mounted it on a camera tripod. After making sure the level was perfectly vertical (using the bubble on top of the level) I could pivot it to point the laser dot at the bow and then at the stern. This gives a very precise measure of level, without having to climb up and down on the boat repeatedly. The buckets of water are useful for a final test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
Suprised the number of boats with masts up in that pic.There is no way that my yard will allow a boat to stand the winter with mast up because of the windage effect of the mast in high winds and chance of it causing a boat to roll over.
In the yards around me, the vast majority of boats have their masts up while on the hard.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-04-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
may be a little confusing, as the requirement insn't so much the boat be "level" as that it's waterline be "level', which a condition which can be difficult to measure. The best test is to dump pails of water on the decks and cockpit and confirm that all water drains as expected. that way you know the boat is not bow-down and liekly to develop standing pools of water. I don't know if stern-down can be much of a concern...
Actually I believe the cradle being level is very much important to the OP's original concerns. If the cradle isn't level then you run the risk of putting more stress and weight on pads and stands that would otherwise be necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the yards around me, the vast majority of boats have their masts up while on the hard.
Same here. Any idea how often boats get blown over, or how strong the wind has to be? I store store mine with the mast up (as do most others around me). I think maybe I will take a closer look at the boats that would fall on mine to see if they are set up well.
Old 11-04-2010

serenespeed is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure that the cradle is level. I think it is close. Is the problem with an uneven boat just for water drainage? The boat itself, is leaning a bit back and to port. It was raining when she was hauled and the water pooled in the cockpit. I've mopped the water out and left a few flat pieces of foam on the cockpit floor with a brick on top - my thinking was that if water accumulated and froze, the foam would compress before the ice damaged the fiberglass. Along the toerail I tied short lengths of rope with one end laying on the deck and the other hanging a couple inches over the side in an attempt to 'siphon' any standing water. Also, She'll be tucked under a big farmer's tarp (hay bail tarp).

As for the masts being left up; I think 99% of the boats still have the masts up. Now I'm nervous about my boat becoming part of a very expensive game of dominoes!
Old 11-04-2010

serenespeed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Actually I believe the cradle being level is very much important to the OP's original concerns. If the cradle isn't level then you run the risk of putting more stress and weight on pads and stands that would otherwise be necessary.
It's close, I doubt more than 1/2 inch of water could accumulate on the cockpit floor before draining out of the scuppers. I think the cockpit floor is about 4 feet long. (Math is not a strength of mine, but) I believe that's less than 1 degree from level...

A small diference can't be that bad can it? (I hope)
Old 11-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but if that 1/2" of water freezes, and then you have a little more freezing, soon you're talking a fair amount of weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenespeed View Post
It's close, I doubt more than 1/2 inch of water could accumulate on the cockpit floor before draining out of the scuppers. I think the cockpit floor is about 4 feet long. (Math is not a strength of mine, but) I believe that's less than 1 degree from level...

A small diference can't be that bad can it? (I hope)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenespeed View Post
I'm not sure that the cradle is level. I think it is close. Is the problem with an uneven boat just for water drainage? The boat itself, is leaning a bit back and to port. It was raining when she was hauled and the water pooled in the cockpit. I've mopped the water out and left a few flat pieces of foam on the cockpit floor with a brick on top - my thinking was that if water accumulated and froze, the foam would compress before the ice damaged the fiberglass. Along the toerail I tied short lengths of rope with one end laying on the deck and the other hanging a couple inches over the side in an attempt to 'siphon' any standing water. Also, She'll be tucked under a big farmer's tarp (hay bail tarp).

As for the masts being left up; I think 99% of the boats still have the masts up. Now I'm nervous about my boat becoming part of a very expensive game of dominoes!
You should have the yard adjust the stands to get the water to drain...assuming that it drains when the boat is afloat...

Over recent years, the cost of yard insurance has gone up a lot so most yards have priced mast removal high so owners wont pay and instead leave the mast in, or the yard just refused to pull masts.

I would say most winters there is a local story about a row of sailboats falling over in a strong breeze...