Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
and as a matter of course, sailors tend to be pretty fourthright/stand up guys and gals...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Dan Nardo is an honest broker I would recommend over there.
Dan was our broker. He was on the boat during the survey but kept quiet and only spoke up when I had a minor meltdown when we found out about a delaminated bulkhead. There was a problem with a sticky shifter and he called a mechanic on the spot to fix it. He's an amazing guy who anticipated our needs and went one step further. Brokers can definitely earn their keep.
Old 11-04-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Dan was our broker. He was on the boat during the survey but kept quiet and only spoke up when I had a minor meltdown when we found out about a delaminated bulkhead. There was a problem with a sticky shifter and he called a mechanic on the spot to fix it. He's an amazing guy who anticipated our needs and went one step further. Brokers can definitely earn their keep.
interesting you mentioned that... kinda made me think about the notion that when buying a boat (or an labor of love) the decision is as emotional as it is financial. how bad was the meltdown? just curious as ive had a few myself.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-04-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Some of the boats I am looking at online are listed as dealer boats, some are listed as private seller...
I read your post as referring to boats OWNED by a dealer..not to be confused with boats listed by a broker. Which is it?

If you are asking about boats OWNED by a dealer, especially boats taken in trade, you have an extremely eager seller, and you can deal in a manner unlike any other buying circumstance.

From my experience, dealers with a trade-in just want to get rid of it, they don't want to store it, fix it up, or even see it..if they can avoid doing so. No warrantee, no repairs, no anything, except a seller who wants the boat gone in the worst way.
Old 11-04-2010
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Nice, glad to hear it.
Old 11-04-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
No clear answer. If you have a particular make of boat that interest you, you may want to contact your local dealer and see if they have a used boat representative. The dealer's used boat rep should be familiar with the product line and you would have a relationship with the dealer after you own. Goodness knows, you will need advice on how to deal with issues on any boat, new or used. The dealer of your make boat should be the best resource. There are exceptions. YMMV
Old 11-04-2010

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Buying a used sailboat

You may be putting the cart before the horse. Select or narrow the search to the boat[s] you want FIRST....
Then select with whom you wish to do business.
SURVEY !!!!
Old 11-04-2010

sroberts is on a distinguished road
I used a broker when selling my last sailboat, simply because they could show the boat 7 days a week and it would take me a two hour round trip to get to the boat to meet a prospect. The broker is a sailing marina with a reputable boat yard, so I knew they'd be fully capable to answer questions about condition and maintenance and repair costs.

However I took my own pictures and posted ads on craigslist and Sailing Texas, and ended selling the boat myself. So I could have saved 10% this time but in general I think the use of the broker will pay off. Also they handle the bill of sale, notary, titling, and can arrange for transport or whatever else is needed to complete the transaction. They made it clear up front that they would not broker the boat unless I had the necessary docs to transfer title - apparently that's quite a common problem. So the use of a broker can be a benefit to purchasers as well as sellers.
Old 11-04-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
how bad was the meltdown?
Not bad. I'm a pretty easy guy with a very long fuse, so I don't go off easily. We were in the middle of the survey and the surveyor was down below in the head tapping away at everything looking for hollows. I heard "Uh Oh" and raced below. The surveyor (Gail Browning) found a totally delaminated port bulkhead caused by a leaky chainplate. A partially delaminated bulkhead was on the starboard side.

At that point I was ready to stop the survey. Combined with a litany of non functional stuff, I felt that the boat was beyond what I wanted to tackle and that no insurance company would cover it. Both Dan and Gail strongly recommended proceeding with the sea trial and completing the survey, which we did. What I did not tell either of them is that I am very experienced in boat work, am an advanced woodworker, and that repairing the bulkhead was not a huge deal.

The meltdown consisted mostly of me insisting on stopping the survey. About 50% was for effect and 50% was real. Fortunately, I listened to them, the purchase price was adjusted, BoatUS covered the boat (provided that I repair the bulkhead, which I did), and Victoria has been ours for 5 years. The punch list is nearly (ever??) complete and the entire experience was very positive. Moral of the story: Listen, think, and get a good surveyor.

Links to Victoria and the Bulkhead repairs follow:

VICTORIA (and her mistress)
S/V Victoria Head Reconstruction
VICTORIA Starboard Bulkhead Repair

Last edited by Sabreman; 11-04-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2010

paul323 is on a distinguished road
I think Sabreman was spot on in his initial post
"My recommendation is to find the boat that fits your needs regardless of who's selling it. If it's brokered, don't sweat the difference in price. After a couple of years, it won't matter."
I was looking to buy private, thinking it would save me money; but the boat I fell in love with was with a broker. I probably paid slightly more because of that, but I found the boat I wanted.
As in most things (I have discovered) the boat comes first....(just don't tell the Admiral)