Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Bought my wife one of the new Kindle WiFis ($139). Great screen for use in the sun and even can check email and websurf.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
I have two.. a Kindle2 and the Sony PRS-505 (touch screen).

Both are great, and both are good at different kinds of books. I find PDF's don't work particularly well on either (the Sony sometimes tries to reformat it, and until recently the Kindle didn't allow zooming in and out - a problem with small txt)..

Also, the touch screen on the Sony is great, but introduces an element of glare - the kindle's screen doesn't suffer from this problem, but I find navigation can be cloogy..

If what you're reading is mostly text then they work really well. If what you're reading is diagram or picture heavy, you're probably better off with something like an ipad.

Just like everything else, there's a really good forum dedicated to e-readers - MobileRead Forums. The guys and gals there are sure to be able to answer any questions you may have..
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 11-05-2010

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
I have an iPad for book reading amnonst other task [not navigation]. I primarily bought it for the book function and now have significantly expanded use [email/work stuff]. I have four readers on it ibooks,kindle,B&M,Borders and good reader - all were free apps at the time. depending on the title one or the other maybe the best source. all in all no regrets however I still think they charge too much for ebooks.
Old 11-05-2010

CatalinaRob is on a distinguished road
I bought a Kindle and love it for reading in-general. This past summer, I used it on my boat on a few weekend-sleepovers. I subscribed to a newspaper and it automatically uploads the daily paper which is nice when your on the hook.

You can also check your email with the Kindle but its really not best suited for such use. The 3g (I think its 3g) access comes free with the unit.

- Rob
Old 11-05-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I have a Kindle and a droid phone . I have both the Kindle app and Audible.com app on the Droid. I like using audible books offshore so as to limit the chance of sea sickness. I use Bluetooth headphones with the Droid. On-island in Sint Maarten, I must download new books to my laptop and then transfer them to the Kindle as the 3G doesn't work there yet. I'm a big reader - more than one book/week.
Old 11-05-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Have Kindle and it is very prized. That thing will run forever without little charges. It is perfect for a boat - esp small boats.

That being said - I still maintain a collection of paperback (and leatherback) books that I cannot get rid of. Like was said above, I still enjoy holding a book and the Kindle cannot replace that. But be aware that you can get pretty much any book (some of the old classics for free or almost free), it has a dictionary that id's words fo ryou when neccessary, has a bookmark function so you always find your place... it is the future. Paper books will die (IMHO). Also, you can easily read it in the cockpit or bright daylight whereas others do not have that option (like a laptop or some other screens).

THey have a sale going on right now for like $139 IIRC. We paid $189ish for ours... wish we would have waited!!

Brian

PS As I recall, Kindle also keeps track of the book syou buy so that if you lose your Kindle, you can get them back I think for free from their database. But that is hear-say. We keep a close eye on ours, when my son is not stealing it away to his V berth (no kidding).

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-05-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Also, in regards to Kindle, Amazon has a free version for your PC. So if you already have a laptop, you can down load the Kindle reader application to your laptop and then get your books as you would if you had a Kindle.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 11-05-2010

GEO42 is on a distinguished road
Books

When the wife and I where cruising most stops visited by cruisers had book
swaps but that was befor Kindle. My wile is an avid reader and loved browsing the book swaps in every port.
Old 11-05-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEO42 View Post
When the wife and I where cruising most stops visited by cruisers had book
swaps but that was befor Kindle. My wile is an avid reader and loved browsing the book swaps in every port.
Agreed. Have the same thing here.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-05-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
@Larry and Suzi - Many thanx for the links - there are 642 (!!!) books in the "nautical" category and Dan is reading one on our netbook right now.

@Brian - Nothing will ever replace for me the curiosity of looking at what is for exchange at bookswaps. Especially when you find, for example, a cache of books in another language, like German, in an English-speaking place and wonder about the journey those books came on.