Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
not that i am condoning it but almost every book is available on line for free normally in pdf form, which can be converted to ebook formats. you just need to do a little searching. i even found a web site that will let you read a book for 24 hours for free, but it is click and pasteable , takes about 15 mins a book.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I own a latest-generation Kindle and I think it is fantastic. If you plan on doing a lot of reading, I highly recommend you get a reader that has an e-ink display (such as the Kindle) because a traditional LCD (like an iPad) is basically staring into a light for hours on end and it will fatigue your eyes. Reading on the Kindle is almost like reading a book. It works in bright sunlight, unlike an LCD. I got a neat leather case with built in light that works great for reading in the dark (which is traditionally where LCDs win out). The new kindle is super small and thin and light, so much so that the leather cover increases the thickness by about 3X! The battery life with wireless off is nearly limitless. I read an entire book and used only about half the battery. For cruising, you'll probably want the version with 3G in addition to wifi so you don't have to pay for wifi access to download new books. You can also use the 3G for the simple web browser, which is fantastic for reading Wikipedia and works OK for checking email (and sailnet). You can also send files to it via email, so I have PDFs of the manuals to much of the equipment on my boat on my Kindle for easy reading. Up-thread, several people mention having two e-readers and sharing books between them. AFAIK, the Kindle does not currently support this, but Amazon has announced they will support it soon. Other e-readers do support it already. I picked a Kindle because 1) it has an e-ink screen, and 2) I believe Amazon is the only e-reader vendor with enough market presence to survive long-term. I don't want to be stuck with a reader whose company has gone bankrupt.
Old 11-05-2010

dmac001 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I've been experimenting with eBooks and the product landscape is changing very quickly. Amazon Kindle is probably the most popular, though Barnes & Noble's Nook is gaining popularity and marketshare. I compared the Kindle to the Nook and felt they were pretty much the same. With the Nook, you have access to Barnes & Noble store and they've created an online experience similar to the store. Likewise, the Kindle is tied to amazon.com. Both claim extensive collection of books, etc. And, there's an unlimited supply of free books on the Internet.

From a technical perspective, both use EInk screen, which is not backlit, does not consume batteries while displayed and tries to look like a printed page. In low light situations, we found the page to be a bit dim. Others have commented on having a reading light. I found that page turning on the Nook results in a page to black refresh, which takes a bit getting used to. I didn't like this. We also found the Nook to be somewhat unresponsive at times, probably due to the slow processing speed.

I think the Nook wins out with its support for multiple formats, epub, pdfs,... with the ability to share books and check-out from local libraries. Navigation on the Nook is through a color touchpad near the bottom, while the Kindle uses keys. Nook has support for microSD card. The Nook is based on the Android operating system and comes with Sudoko and Chess. I suspect there will be other games or crossword puzzles in the future. Nook also has a primitive web browser. Nook comes in wifi and 3G versions. Both Nook and Kindle are leap-frogging each other with new versions and updates.

I think they are the wave of the future and great devices. Having gone through all this, I purchased a Nook for my wife. The wifi version is $149 and the 3G/wifi is $199. Literally, the day after I bought this, Barnes & Noble announced their new color version, faster speed, more memory..... (aka poor man's iPad). This is a wifi device at $249. I just returned the Nook and I'm waiting for the launch of the color model. Both the Barnes & Noble online support and bookstore staff are impressed with the new color model and recommended that we wait for the color version.

The one drawback that I see is the Nook B&W claims 10 days on a charge. I don't think we saw that, as we've charged it several times in 2 weeks we had it. The color version is listed at 8 hours. This could be a problem, constantly having to charge the device.
Old 11-05-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I have been wanting an ereader for a while now. I am just waiting till after thanksgiving to see if they have some sales on them. The two that I like the most was the Kobo and the Kindle. Kobo is the easiest to use. It doesnt have a lot of features, but it is just easy to use, has a great screen and you can use epub document format so all books (even ones you check out of the library) will work on it. The kindle on the other hand has a lot of features, has a great screen, but doesn't support the epub document format. I downloaded the free Calibre ebook organizer. It will convert any document into amazon's format. I have been playing around with the software for a month or so now and cant find any issues with it. It will automatically search the web (daily, weekly, monthly) for free magazines you to download and put on your ereader. The only thing that I cant tell you is that since I dont yet own an ereader how it actually works in real life. With this being said I plan on taking a chance with it and buying the Kindle.
Old 11-05-2010

gbaratta is on a distinguished road
I personally would choose an ipad, you can read an amazing list of books, listen to audiobooks, watch youtube and any movie, but most of all use a good list of marine apps. To name a few: Navionics, iNavX, Chart & Tides, Windalert & Ship finder. I recently got one and loving it, one suggestion, purchase a waterproof sleeve with it, it will protect from the weather on your way.
Old 11-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all the input, folks.

Today was a funky kind of day, literature-wise- i sold an article to a magazine, selected a Sony Touch e-reader as part of my company incentive package (merry x-mas to me) and, while at the mall buying this weeks booze ration, stumbled over a used book sale in the mall supporting a local charity. It was too good to pass up- 3 paperbacks for $2, 3 hardcovers for $5. 30 books later, i'm out the door with a couple of months of reading and a bottle of sailor jerry's. I'm set for the weekend!
bigdogandy and bristol299bob like this.
Old 11-05-2010

Libramar is on a distinguished road
Still using my laptop but will get an e-reader soon ( I mean genuine one based on the e-ink tech).
Old 11-05-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Wife has a kindle. I looked at it to see if it worked for me. It does not.

My favorite sailing book O'brian or Forester were not available. The other books I like popular fiction are not cheap on kindle, like a dollar or less discount per book. I can usually find these books for less than a dollar at thrift stores where I usually go to stock up on fiction.

My wife claims to get here books for around $3 or less. If I get a kindle and want to read up on some vampire stories I am so set.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2010

ashmun is on a distinguished road
I have the new Kindle, older Sony and an iPad. The Kindle is the smallest and lightest and Kindle is the best for reading in the sun (as mentioned in an earlier post). I love my iPad which is great for surfing, games, typing notes and also has inventory, boat maintenance log and marine navigation software.
Old 11-06-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Thanks for all the input, folks.

Today was a funky kind of day, literature-wise- i sold an article to a magazine, selected a Sony Touch e-reader as part of my company incentive package (merry x-mas to me) and, while at the mall buying this weeks booze ration, stumbled over a used book sale in the mall supporting a local charity. It was too good to pass up- 3 paperbacks for $2, 3 hardcovers for $5. 30 books later, i'm out the door with a couple of months of reading and a bottle of sailor jerry's. I'm set for the weekend!

I have a feeling that between the library and the books that I borrow that if I get an ereader I wont use it nearly as much as what I should to justify owning it.