Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010

RNGypsy03 is on a distinguished road
After much anguish over which eReader to buy, I ended up with the iPad. I know you miss out on the ability to read in the sun, but I do most of my reading in bed, in the dark. The booklights are just never bright enough for me, as my night vision is just not what it used to be. With that said, Kindle, Nook, and Stanza all had valuable features so it was difficult to decide. With the iPad I do not have to decide, because there is a Kindle app, a Nook app, and a Stanza app. I have all the benefits of Amazon, B&N, and iBooks, as well as all the other publishing houses with Stanza. I am a constant reader and before my life on the sailboat began, leaving my library was one of the things that pained me most. Now I have everything with me all the time. It's perfect for the boat. Plus with the iPad I can blog, check my email, etc. I really like the concept of Cloud computing, where I can leave everything that Im not using currently on my "cloud server" ( I use iDisk with Mobile Me). There, everything is archived, including my.pdf arcticles that I use for work, and is available to me in any country at any time. As long as I can find Wifi, or cell service, Im good to go.

My second choice was the Kindle with the next generation pearl vision e-Ink, but now that Nook just released its color-touch screen, I would probably have looked at it much closer. I just can't stand that B&N is always getting my bill wrong.

Hope this helps!

RNGypsy03

Check out our blog! Its written by our dogs!

Sailboat Dog Hahaha!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012
sailorladd

mainmast is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mainmast
Re: Anybody have an e-reader?

I have an ereader (Cheapest Kindle) and it is something really worthwhile onboard. It saves a terrific amount of book space, it is SO much lighter than the 100 or more books we used to have to store somewhere on board and it is maintenance free apart from some mild charging every week or two.... What could be nicer on a boat if you are a reader!!?? I am an author of a sailing adventure book and I bought the Kindle to proof read my first published book, now I could not do without it :0 Remember those early arguments about laptops........ I rest my case My book is on amazon, but I dare not mention it here as I could get torpedoed but I will mention it if you are curious. Two thumbs up for ereaders ...
Old 12-13-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

I love my Kindle. Got the cover with built-in light. Done a lot of reading in the cockpit in bright sunshine.

Only bought two books so far. Downloaded tons.
Old 12-13-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

After about two years of use my nook died on me. It may just need a new battery, but if I buy anything it will be the Kindle with the LED back light. But at this point I may just go back to ready paper books for now.
Old 12-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Where are we at today with E readers ? I'm very much a pager turning kind of guy but practicality must win out in the end.

I'm thinking to go with two gizmos .... Google Nexus 7 and 10. I figure the 10 is more useful overall but for reading the 7 should be more practical.

Thoughts ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-13-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Got my girlfriend a Kindle for Xmas last year. She used it for a month and went back to her Iphone. I don't really get it, but, she likes it better even though it's harder to read in sunlight. This year maybe I'll try the Ipad mini as the Ipad is hard to hold for long periods.

The selection is going to be better on an Iphone/pod/pad. There are so many applications that offer various ways to get books, news, articles, etc. If you prefer to read in a language other than English this will be even more relevant.
Old 12-13-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I bought a Kobo reader a couple of weeks ago.

I was a bit uncertain as I enjoy the feel of a good book.

I've read Cloud Atlas, 11/22/63, The Hobbit, Marine Batteries Made Simple or How To keep Batteries Charged and I'm working on Les Miserable.

I'm sold on the thing. With the cover it feels like a book, it looks like a book.

I went for the straight e-reader (as opposed to a tablet) based on power consumption. I'll probably wind up getting a tablet for my computer needs.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I bought a Kobo reader a couple of weeks ago.

I was a bit uncertain as I enjoy the feel of a good book.

I've read Cloud Atlas, 11/22/63, The Hobbit, Marine Batteries Made Simple or How To keep Batteries Charged and I'm working on Les Miserable.

I'm sold on the thing. With the cover it feels like a book, it looks like a book.

I went for the straight e-reader (as opposed to a tablet) based on power consumption. I'll probably wind up getting a tablet for my computer needs.
6" screen ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-13-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
6" screen ?
Yes 6" screen.

Kobo eReader Touch

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-13-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

I love reading, and the feel of a book in my hands. I also have a Nook, which does all it is supposed to do. The Nook is great for a small sail boat, as you can pre-load it with reading material and just carry/store that small item. Agree with previous posters that buying the e-books is not that much cheaper than buying a book. Yes, there are free/low cost books, but I find that they are not something I want to read, most times. The book I am excited about reading will cost 8.99 or something. However, the huge advantage is that Nook can be used to download tons of wonderful epub books from the local library! My library system is great, and I can browse and download from home and get very newly-published, well-written books. I can keep them on the Nook for 21 days and then they go "poof"... but, the library catalog is always available to me online, wherever I am. I find the font and screen of the Nook easy on the eyes. So, for now, I will combine reading "real" books and books on my e-reader... the best of both worlds. It doesn't have to be either/or, and for sailors, an e-reader makes a lot of sense.