Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Anybody have an e-reader?

Having spent the morning looking at options I'll probably go Nexus 7. Slightly bigger screen plus it is more computer than the Kobo. Twice the price, less battery life. I can also download and do crossword puzzles which is nice. Nothing wrong with the Kobo just that the Nexus offers that little bit more. Twice the price of a Kobo is not a hell of a lot of money lets face it and battery life is not really an issue on board.

In reality I'd like a Nexus 10 but you cannot buy one of those in Oz for love or money.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7") that I sometimes read ebooks on. It is a much better size for the purpose than the ipad. (3 years later Apple finally has something the size of my tab!) The great thing about e-books is that now our public library system loans them out. I really have a problem with paying the same price for an e-book as I would for a paper copy. the production costs for e-books is nil, so there should be a significant price difference, but there isn't. So now I can just borrow my e-books!
Hull#101
Old 12-13-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

two years on, SWMBO and I still like the sony Ereader. The platformm compatibility (epub, pdf, etc.,) is great as well as the SD card port, making it flexible as far as downloading media (photos, music, etc.) Daylight usability is great, the choice of font size is a bonus, and the ability to take notes, and draw with the included stylus has come in handy sometimes. I like being able to put in an SD card of music, listen through headphones and read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 12-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

I've been using a Kindle Fire for almost a year and am very happy with it. Use it as a reader, internet browser (built-in Wi-Fi), and music (headphones or computer speakers). My wife has an I-pad and is an avid reader, but I don't find her using it for that function much. Kindle is much more "book sized" than I-Pad and seems to be more user-friendly as a reader.
Mobnets

1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Old 12-14-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I have a Kindle-keyboard. I find the "E-Ink" screen to be much easier on the eyes than a more "conventional" back-lit screen. It's very light-weight, seems pretty durable, and the battery seems to last forever on a single charge (at least a month or so, depending on use). It has a sorta-kinda web browser, so I could check e-mail, et cetera, it I really had to. But it's basically a single-function machine. In other words, it's a pretty good e-reader --- but that's all it is. It won't do nearly as much as a full-fleged tablet, but I personally think it functions as an e-reader better than would a tablet. And, if one gets it wet, or drops it overboard, or steps on it, or whatever, it's not nearly as big a loss as it would be to trash an iPad (or iPad equivalent). however, I have heard of very bummed cruisers who took e-readers as their "library" on passages, only to have the reader fail at some point, leaving them "library-less" for the rest of the trip.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 12-14-2012
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road

Bljones - I have the sony ereader as well. One of the OLD ones, pre wi-fi connection. After 4 plus years still love it, for just the reasons you stated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

After four years and seriously diminished battery life, I upgraded my original Nook and bought the Nook with Glowlight a week or so ago. The new Nook seems to have much better battery life than the original even when it was new (not surprising). I like the compact design although the feel of it took a bit of time to get used to. I also read books on my iPad with the Nook app as well as the Kobo app. iPad also has an iBook app through iTunes and books from other sources can be added.

Barnes and Noble's Nook no longer supports Google's free digitized out of copyright books.

All that said, I still buy a huge amount of traditional books.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-14-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

When we moved onto our boat, I got a a Kindle Fire, which is great for reading, and for watching a movie or getting magazine subscriptions, checking email, etc. It's relatively inexpensive, so if something happened to it, I'd only be out a couple hundred dollars (as opposed to an iPad). I love it, and even though we have a few books on our boat, we just couldn't bring our entire library. The Fire isn't good for reading in the sun (but you can get a regular Kindle for that for less than $100). I think they're great. Practical and they don't take up much space, which is always good on a boat!

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Old 12-14-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Sony E-reader. I've had two so far, I really like them. Far better than reading on a tablet if I want to relax. For work I use a tablet or laptop to see wiring and parts diagrams, but nothing beats a good dedicated e-reader for a novel.
Old 12-14-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

i have a kindle fire and love it for the boat i can watch videos, read, and when i have wifi i can go on the internet. It's color its touch screen it works great for me.