SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anybody have an e-reader? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69648-anybody-have-e-reader.html)

bljones 11-04-2010 07:34 PM

Anybody have an e-reader?

I read. A lot. Some people have home theatres, we have a library. I am starting to warm to the idea of getting an e-reader for the boat. Anybody have one? Throw me your input, please.

RTB 11-04-2010 09:00 PM

The wife had a huge library because she reads all of the time. We are selling the home and everything inside so we can move aboard and go cruising. There is not much extra room on a 36' boat, so she has been selling her books to the local 1/2 price books. She bought a Kindle and loves it. I have read one book on it, and it's da bomb! Not saying it is the best one, but suits us well. It certainly makes sense if you want to read while cruising. Check em out.

eryka 11-04-2010 09:06 PM

Don't have one, but its been on my list. I read some of the public domain books on my netbook and understand a Kindle or Nook is even more convenient, and offers more choices. Dan & I are both voracious readers, though, and we'd have to buy two e-readers so we could share books.

RogerD 11-04-2010 09:09 PM

I have a kindle, and it's the best for reading in the sun. Overall though I love, love, love my iPad. I have iBooks and the kindle reader on it and use both, and of course it can do a lot more, like typing this note!

jackdale 11-04-2010 09:21 PM

I still really like books. Of course, I also like paper charts.

But in my working life, I was a geek.

bljones 11-04-2010 09:38 PM

I love the feel of a book in my hands, but just from a storage standpoint, i am beginning to see the value of an e-reader. i am leaning toward a sony touch, for the simple fact that is open-source, so i am not tied to amazon or indigo or whatever for my book fix.

scottyt 11-04-2010 10:35 PM

I bought my wife an android tablet, k mart had one that was real cheap ( anniversary gift ). I loaded it with an ebook read app, the battery does not last as long as a real ebook but she likes it. it does do other things like web too so it works well for her. she gets about 6 hours with the wifi turned off, but it is also smaller than a kindle i think, as it is all screen no key board. I also loaded a bunch of games and stuff so it is really multi use.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 11-05-2010 06:08 AM

I agree that a book in your hand has a wonderful tactile feel (and on a boat, sometimes an odd smell about it.) Much as a fireplace with real logs has a much better feel to it than a fake log, gas fireplace.

However, on a boat, the practicality of an e-reader may take precedence. We have on our boat probably about ten or twelve feet of shelf space taken up by books. We're both readers and both have a love of books. Certain books on a boat are important and necessary, your Chapmans, and Calders, engine manuals, instruction manuals. But your Steinbecks, and Hemingways, and Tolkiens for the vast majority of the time only take up space which could be used to store wine, rum and other essentials.

We will get one (or more likely two) for each other this Christmas. We already have downloaded many free books (books which are out of copyright). And then we'll be putting most of our books on the 'giveaway' shelf.

One of the 'free book' sites is Free Books : Download & Streaming : Ebook and Texts Archive : Internet Archive.

Another is ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader

Now if I could just find a free Kindle...

DulceSuerna 11-05-2010 06:37 AM

I use an e reader and I do like it though it took some geting used to. The one thing I didnt like was that the books seem almost as expensive ass a regular book. Yes there are fre books out there (1000's of them) if yo uwan to read about someones aunt from 1890 or so / sigh I paid premium $$ for mine and would go cheaper now unless the price has dropped.

sck5 11-05-2010 07:11 AM

kindles will still download books in most foreign countries - nooks wont or at least theywouldnt a few months ago