Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010

lzr170403 is on a distinguished road
UNCW sailing team

Hey guys my name is Cole and im one of the skippers for the UNCW (University of North Carolina Wilmington) sailing team. We are trying to think of some ideas for fundraising and decided to go around our local anchorage area and drop off some donation packs to transient sailors. These packs will include sever coupons and local tips from the area. Also included will be a donation slip should any of the sailors choose to make a donation to the team. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some feedback regarding what you personally would like to receive in a local "care package" such as the ones we are handing out. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2010

dub420sailor is on a distinguished road
Please give us some suggestions, we are pretty poor and need to raise some money, and we would like to do something to help other sailors at the same time.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by dub420sailor; 11-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Offer to wash and/or wax local boats. See if you can get a marina to cooperate or solicit boats to come to your boat house.
Old 10-05-2012

illica is on a distinguished road
Re: UNCW sailing team

Cole-I'm the guy in Oriental, NC who has been communicating with your about coming down to get info. Happened to run across your msg (below). Fund raising idea-- I belong to the ROTARY here. We have a couple of 'Nautical Flea Markets' here every year. Usually raise about $1500. We take 'boat stuff' on consignment, and for 20% fee, try to sell it. BUT, we also encourage folks to donate their boat stuff to ROTARY. On that stuff we make 100% profit. The key is a good location and GETTING THE WORD OUT!!. I can send you some of the flyers/consignment forms we use, if it would help. Let me know via email.

Good luck, Joe Mattea/Oriental, NC
Old 10-06-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: UNCW sailing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzr170403 View Post
We are trying to think of some ideas for fundraising and decided to go around our local anchorage area and drop off some donation packs to transient sailors.
This is kind of like going to the homeless shelter looking for someone with some spare food.

All cruisers have a limited funds, when it runs out they need to go home or get a job somewhere along the way. There might be some that are on a limited cruise and have some money to contribute. Most are trying to get as much out of every dollar and generally living frugally to avoid the next encounter with a job.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.