Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Well done Webmaster SD ........... to bad the prescient was set with a boofer now ther is fair reason ;(
Old 12-06-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sully from stuffers is jack-booted thug himself and probably deserved it...He's also a lying, unethical, sack of $h1t. If you want to know why I say this, read this and this.
I'm missing the relevance of this post to this thread???
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
I'm missing the relevance of this post to this thread???
Paul
People of questionable character (read where SD was threatened with a baseball bat by this guy) being treated aggressively while the police are executing their mission is very different than the way many have painted this picture.
Old 12-06-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
... (read where SD was threatened with a baseball bat by this guy) ...
Old stuff!
Old 12-06-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Maybe there's another possibility that no one has posted about or thought of... I don't know, but I'm not going to read through 4 pages of anti-this and that ranting.

A boat tooling up and down the ICW would make a great rolling meth lab, and who knows, maybe that's what they're looking for. Gulf Star 50, 2 guys topside, one moves toward the cabin, then there's a clatter of drawers, stove operation, etc.... Having not been there, I have no idea about the general 'tone' of the initial boarding. None of us where there, so it's pretty impossible to do any more than arm chair quarter back.
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Old stuff!
Still seems relevant to the conversation. Police acting aggressively in response to someone who may have acted like a real putz, is much more understandable anyway.

To read some of these posts, you would believe they were pushing innocent old ladies to the ground and stealing their social security checks to fund the Third Reich.

So far, I find both sides of the story to be suspicious. Those that claim to have been offended tell less than straight forward stories and it wouldn't surprise me if some local elected official does think this is a good way to raise fine revenue.
Old 12-06-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Still seems relevant to the conversation. Police acting aggressively in response to someone who may have acted like a real putz, is much more understandable anyway.

To read some of these posts, you would believe they were pushing innocent old ladies to the ground and stealing their social security checks to fund the Third Reich.

So far, I find both sides of the story to be suspicious. Those that claim to have been offended tell less than straight forward stories and it wouldn't surprise me if some local elected official does think this is a good way to raise fine revenue.
Way I see it, there is absolutely NO excuse for an unrequested boarding with weapons drawn short of a drug raid with a warrant. Then to dye the tanks on top of that is just over the top. This was a revenue grab.
Old 12-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Way I see it, there is absolutely NO excuse for an unrequested boarding with weapons drawn short of a drug raid with a warrant. Then to dye the tanks on top of that is just over the top. This was a revenue grab.
That's your prerogative, but....... methinks thou dost protest too much ?!

I think there can be some valid excuses (your word) beyond a drug raid. Those circumstances should require some reasonable expectation to have to defend themselves. A person below decks and hasn't complied with a request to surface would qualify, IMHO.
Old 12-06-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Minewaska, have you had any formal firearms training?

"there is absolutely NO excuse for an unrequested boarding with weapons drawn short of a drug raid with a warrant. "

The usual advice about firearms is that YOU DON'T DRAW IT UNLESS YOU PLAN TO USE IT and if you follow that advice, you are less likely to have an expensive and embarassing unjustifiable shooting.

Honest, find your local PD's safety or training officer, ask them what the official policy is about drawing a weapon.

Now, if there's no want or warrant out for that boat, no direct observation of some criminal activity, there's no reason to draw weapons for a vessel safety check, is there? And as more than one cop has found out the hard way, if you surprise someone with your weapon drawn--you're likely to get shot if they can grab one first.

Those are just dumb cops, giving all the honest and professional ones a bad name.

If you're afraid of who or what might be below, you stop with the man on deck and say "Call your crew topside, now." And you don't draw and go below until you've been assured everyone is on deck--so you KNOW there are no innocents below.
Old 12-06-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Minnewaska -
.... you mention the THIRD REICH. I submit with your constant non-objective 'slant' on this issue that you would be perfectly happy living in the THIRD REICH or some other authoritarian state that constantly brushes-aside the 'rules' for the purpose of 'control'. and yes, some of my family were nazis and others suffered under the nazis .... nazi's like what I and others aboard my vessel personally observed and experienced and will testify such from my/our experience on the ICW with the Volusia County Sheriff's Department ... openly brandishing side arms, gross intimidation, etc. etc. etc. etc. ....
simply 'get over it' as your lopsided conjectural milquetoast whining isnt going to change anything.
The watercops in Volusia County are LEGAL THUGS and if in any 'honest' jurisdiction would most probably spend 'pokey time' for their actions.