Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
At the unintended risk of getting everyone all flamed up again, is there any reference to this issue in a newspaper or lawsuit or anything other than a sailing blog? I tried to search.

Volusia County has a half million residents. Communities that large usually love to beat up their local officials, so I would expect something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
As a former Volusia County Sheriffs Deputy my self and have had experience with a US Coast Guard boarding while cruizing I find the situation explained a bit disturbing.. I sent this story to a friend who's still working for the County of Volusia...
Old 12-07-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
aa3jy,

The incident I described with the go fast boat, helicopter, and numerous squad cars for a boat tied to the dock was in Clay County at Reynolds Park Yacht Center. All over a couple of joints of pot.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
With all due respect, i2f, if there was a tip that there was an illegal substance onboard and there actually was, I don't think that is making the case against aggressive weapons drawn boardings to inspect holding tanks. They are quite different.

For a holding tank violation, the worst outcome is a fine. For a drug arrest, the worst outcome is jail, so one might expect the later to be more confrontational. I certainly understand the over reaction you describe, but if they were operating with a tip that this was a more significant drug dealer, I don't think I would just wander in unprepared either.

If your point is that a couple of joints of pot should not be a crime, you have to fault the lawmakers that wrote the laws like this. The police are expected to enforce them as written. That same principal applies to their right to board your boat when they please. For those about to flame on, please separate the reportedly inappropriate method they've used from the right they have to come aboard in the first place.

All this anger and frustration should be focused at those that wrote the laws this way.
Old 12-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said. Part of the problem is that too much of the law written today is not designed to be flexible. The idea of zero tolerance is pretty stupid in many ways, since different situations often SHOULD be handled in different ways. For instance, there's the grandmother who got put on the terrorist watch list for accidentally trying to carry a butter knife onto an airplane. Yes, a 57-year-old grandmother is definitely a terrorist... WTF.

Quote:
All this anger and frustration should be focused at those that wrote the laws this way.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Again?
Still!

Last edited by AE28; 12-07-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Still!
The alleged victim has a propensity to be a jerk, mouth off and exaggerate. That discredits the victim's claim that the police were aggressive without provocation.

Perhaps you're making a different point, but it seem pretty clear why SD is offering this point within this discussion.
Old 12-07-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The alleged victim has a propensity to be a jerk, mouth off and exaggerate. That discredits the victim's claim that the police were aggressive without provocation.

Perhaps you're making a different point, but it seem pretty clear why SD is offering this point within this discussion.
Maybe that's where I'm missing the boat (no pun intended)!!!

Is the "alleged victim" the guy in the original post, or was he introduced in a subsequent post in this thread?
Old 12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Maybe that's where I'm missing the boat (no pun intended)!!!

Is the "alleged victim" the guy in the original post, or was he introduced in a subsequent post in this thread?
i2f, introduced this victim as another example in post #74.
Old 12-07-2010

Rschattman is on a distinguished road
Clearly there is a better way

As I read the initial story, and then the responses, it is clear that the police created the circumstances that escalated the situation. There is a responsibility on the part of the police as the boarding party to accomplish their responsibilities in a manner that is safe, efficient and effective. The unannounced boarding, while legal, may have set the defensive posture of the crew in motion.... mistake number 1. The pulling of the gun was also premature by any standard and contributed to an escalation. The issuance of a ticket was also unnecessary in all ways other than to justify the other actions that were out of proportion to the situation. The manner in which the police proceeded put all at greater risk and danger - including themselves. Poor quality police work!