Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How long is your boat and Do you have a mortgage? (votes are private)
Boat 1 to 29 feet, no mortgage 26 30.23%
Boat 30 to 39 feet, no mortgage 32 37.21%
Boat 40 to 49 feet, no mortgage 9 10.47%
Boat 50 to 59 feet, no mortgage 0 0%
Boat 60+ feet, no mortgage 0 0%
Boat 1 to 29 feet, have a mortgage 4 4.65%
Boat 30 to 39 feet, have a mortgage 11 12.79%
Boat 40 to 49 feet, have a mortgage 2 2.33%
Boat 50 to 59 feet, have a mortgage 2 2.33%
Boat 60+ feet, have a mortgage 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Do you have a mortgage on the boat? (Tax deduction may be ending)

Do you have a mortgage on the boat? That is, a loan on the boat where the boat is the collateral on the loan? (If you don't pay, they take the boat.)

With the feds proposing an end to the mortgage tax deduction, this may affect us sailboat owners. You can deduct a sailboat if it has a stove, head and bed.

So how about it, do you have a mortgage on your boat?

(Also how long is it? -- since I'm curious about any correllations between the length of a boat and a mortgage.)

Regards,
Brad

[Edited: corrected the 3 requirements. They are: cooking facility, sleeping facility and a head.]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 11-11-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

8 votes already. Nice. That was quick.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 11-11-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i voted yes on the mortagage but then after reading your posts may have voted wrong. i have a boat paid for with a mortagage on the house
Old 11-11-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We bought our boat with the money from selling our house.

Old 11-11-2010
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
How do you get a mortagage on a boat besides a home equity line of credit?
Old 11-11-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I really don't believe there's an " elected" offical in D.C. that would have the political will to do this for Home Mortgages. I could see where they might try it for Boats and RV's.

The folks that recommended it are " retired". Any one who voted for eliminating deductions for Home Mortgage interest would be looking at retirement too!
( possibly to another country) :-)
Old 11-11-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I assume he means a boat loan with the boat as collateral.

When we first purchased our boat, we took a loan for about 1/2 the cost of the boat. At the time the interest rate was pretty low and I felt I could manage a better rate of return leaving my other assets where they were.

We did deduct the interest on the boat for a few years under that arrangement. After the economy tanked, we re-evaluated our situation and decided to do a cash out refi on our house. We took enough out to payoff the boat which was already deductable and another sizable loan that was not. The house payment is now $200/mo less than the combined payment for the 3 loans, all our interest payments are deductable and we have a 15 year loan on the house which effectively extended our payments only one year and best of all still have somewhere around $200k equity in the house, so we're in a pretty good place.

I voted 36' with no mortgage to reflect the current situation.
Old 11-11-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
i voted yes on the mortagage but then after reading your posts may have voted wrong. i have a boat paid for with a mortagage on the house
Yes, I changed the title and wording to say "on the boat". Should have been more clear on that. Also added the part about the boat being the collateral on the loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
A loan on the boat is a mortgage, as in borrowing money from a bank and using the boat as collateral on the loan. (If you don't pay, they take the boat.)

If that is the case, and the boat meets the 3 criteria, then it can be considered a second (or 1st) home and the interest on the loan is tax deductible. Quoting from this site:

Quote:
"For tax purposes, many boats qualify as second homes just like land-based vacation condos and mobile homes," said Elaine Dickinson of BoatU.S. Government Affairs. "If you have a secured loan on that vessel, the IRS allows a tax deduction on the interest paid on the loan."

The IRS defines a second home as having "basic living accommodations such as sleeping space, toilet and cooking facilities." A secured loan is one where a lending institution holds the boat as collateral for the loan.
Regards,
Brad
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 11-11-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I really don't believe there's an " elected" offical in D.C. that would have the political will to do this for Home Mortgages. I could see where they might try it for Boats and RV's.
The way I heard it on the "news" this morning is they're talking about eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction on homes valued in excess of $250k and on second homes.

This is all part of a first-draft proposed U.S. Federal deficit reduction plan. There's something in there to anger just about everybody. IIRC: Federal workforce reductions in size, compensation and benefits; increase in retirement age; decrease in Social Security benefits; decrease in spending on the military; reduction in or elimination of farm and other subsidies; elimination of tax "loopholes," and so-on and so-on.

People may not like it, but it has to be done. Americans, individually, and our government entities at all levels are spending way beyond our means. People can bury their heads in their... uh... in the sand and pretend it ain't so, but that isn't going to change the fact that it is so. The longer we put off addressing it the more painful will be the inevitable correction.

Jim
Old 11-11-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The way I heard it on the "news" this morning is they're talking about eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction on homes valued in excess of $250k and on second homes.

This is all part of a first-draft proposed U.S. Federal deficit reduction plan. There's something in there to anger just about everybody. IIRC: Federal workforce reductions in size, compensation and benefits; increase in retirement age; decrease in Social Security benefits; decrease in spending on the military; reduction in or elimination of farm and other subsidies; elimination of tax "loopholes," and so-on and so-on.

People may not like it, but it has to be done. Americans, individually, and our government entities at all levels are spending way beyond our means. People can bury their heads in their... uh... in the sand and pretend it ain't so, but that isn't going to change the fact that it is so. The longer we put off addressing it the more painful will be the inevitable correction.

Jim
Probably need to take this to another forum, but even though I depend on the Government for my paycheck (contractor) and I totally agree with you.