Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Reading an article about this race/cruise in Yachting Monthly? any way a european mag. This race/cruise is a VERY safe way of doing what these folks were doing. Same with the ARC, some 250plus boats this year. So for minnewaska, why question it? other than you have a friend that was on a boat that perished. Now comes the "WHY?"

It appears like many of us, you are having some of the same questions, ie the "WHY?" as am I. Look back about 2 yrs ago to a boat doing a race to Mexico with a college crew that lost a keel, one death. The speculation went on for about a year, until the CG did a report, as did a few others.

If no answers do not come up in the next week to month, trust me, the speculation will be even more rampant than now. I doubt you will hear the real answer here, than in the news. Frankly, I have yet to see any news reports, which to me is rather strange. at least the other boat I talked about I did upon occasion.

If family and friends of Laura continue to read and post, make sure you have a stiff upper lip if you will, because there will be some speculation, from the other three's fault, to Laura's to who knows what. It will go in full circle until the facts are found out.

Marty
Old 11-20-2010

rainbowtroutaa is on a distinguished road
Speak your truth

Way to go xxuxx . Let this stream serve as a forum for all where it may be safe to say what you need to say and not be judged by doing so. Two days ago I spoke out with similar gestures and by a small few I was threatened with their ignorance to be silenced. What if Laura was your daughter or friend? There needs to be some forum to vent so let it be here and don't judge those doing so. May I also suggest that you all make a donation to Laura zekoll's family fund , perhaps all 71 sailboats that participated in the carribean1500 can donate $100 each and help support the rescue mission ( see previous message from lynmidas) as they charter a boat and seek additional volunteers today in the Bahamas. I did via their wells Fargo account.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Angry You’re out of line, lady!

XXUXX,

I think either you’re tired from losing sleep and aren’t thinking/writing clearly or you’re stepping over a line. What we have in your last post are rhetorical questions followed by what appear to be assertions of fact. Unless you have information that the rest of us do not (and I seriously doubt you do), what you have presented is speculation followed by uninformed opinion. To wit, with my comments in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
I am losing sleep and cannot help but thinking about Laura Zekoll! It doesn't matter if they lost their autopilot, if that even happened, it doesn't matter that they were seasick. Permit me a rhetorical question: How do you know that it doesn’t matter? How do you know what the condition of the crew may have been as they approached the coast? What matters is that they all were together after the vessel grounded on a reef. They were in that liferaft Together! Mr and Mrs Ross are OK, Dave Shepard is OK, Laura is Not ok!!! Speculation again What ever happened to the buddy system? Why didn't David look out for Laura? Do you know what happened the moments after the capsize? Do you know that Dave didn’t look after her? You do not! Ergo, speculation once again. The captain protected his wife, yet Laura was left to fen (sic) for herself. NOT KOOL! Speculation followed by opinion, shouted at that
Quote:
My point is, that the surf that night must have been horrndously hugeand the wave and the liferaft centered, resulting in a flip and discharge of its passengers. Speculation At this point Ross looks after himself and his wife but why didn't he or Dave, the other able bodied crewmate look after Laura? Speculation, followed by, given the state of your knowledge of the situation, an unkind insinuation. (And as an aside, let me add that from everything I’ve read here about Laura, she sounds like a woman very capable of taking care of hereself.)
Quote:
Instead the 3 grabbed for the liferaft and rode it in when the next set wave white water (which would be about 8 dfeet high) into the shore, about a mile away, thus leaving Laura to fen (sic) for herself. XXOXX, this is truly offensive speculation -- do you have a shed of evidence that this is true? Careful, this is a public forum and the insinuation you make here is bordering on libel. Why is the wife OK and Laura not OK? Laura was younger stronger and a better swimmer. Yes, it is now time to point fingers!! It's been a week. Seculation (on Laura’s condition at the time) followed by an opinion.
If it’s time to point fingers, permit me to point one in your direction: what you have said is uninformed by the facts, most probably extremely unkind to the people involved, and IMHO has no place in a forum like this. XXOXX, chill! Get some sleep. Come back when you have something better to offer.

Last edited by billyruffn; 11-20-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtroutaa View Post
There needs to be some forum to vent so let it be here
No, you don't need to vent, and no, it doens't have to be here. Please take your hysteria anywhere else but here. This thread is not a forum for juvenile anonymous venting, this is a thread to provide information and receive information and informed opinion.

Last edited by bljones; 11-20-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: the troll complained.
Old 11-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I agree that this is NOT the place (or the time) for fault finding in this tragic episode. None of us sitting at our PCs were there.. few of us likely have the experience and background to truly be able to understand the mindset of those involved, nor the actual conditions and/or reasons at the time of the incident.

It is disrespectful, speculative, and of no service to anyone involved to take this (blame) tack at this point. There's simply not enough information or evidence to make any meaningful conclusions about any of it.. the whys, or the whatifs.

I'd hate to muzzle anyone... so lets keep this civil, on topic, supportive and respectful of the people and families involved.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-20-2010

Belisana is on a distinguished road
I joined just to post in response to those putting down the captain and crew. The seas were bad enough to disable a sailboat and overturn a liferaft. When Laura was sadly separated from the crew, they probably could not even see her for waves (which were probably steep, short-period waves) or hear her for the sound of the water. In the dark, without knowing which direction to even go, letting go of the liferaft to search blindly would probably have been futile if not fatal. I have no doubt that if the captain (or another crew member) thought that they had even a remote chance of rescuing Laura, they would have done so.

Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, and the crew.
Old 11-20-2010

rainbowtroutaa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisana View Post
I joined just to post in response to those putting down the captain and crew. The seas were bad enough to disable a sailboat and overturn a liferaft. When Laura was sadly separated from the crew, they probably could not even see her for waves (which were probably steep, short-period waves) or hear her for the sound of the water. In the dark, without knowing which direction to even go, letting go of the liferaft to search blindly would probably have been futile if not fatal. I have no doubt that if the captain (or another crew member) thought that they had even a remote chance of rescuing Laura, they would have done so.

Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, and the crew.
local reports stated that there was a full moon and clear skies during the night of the incedent. most were hopeful that Laura would still be able to see the main boat and swim back to it if possible.
Old 11-20-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I have refrained from and will continue to refrain from making any comments regarding what happened on that boat as none of us knows the circumstances. I will say that trying to run that cut, or for that matter, most cuts in the Bahamas during a rage is just plain foolhardy. I cannot envision any circumstance which would fall on the side of running a cut during a rage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2010

Belisana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
local reports stated that there was a full moon and clear skies during the night of the incedent. most were hopeful that Laura would still be able to see the main boat and swim back to it if possible.
I read that. Even with a full moon, the sea at night is pitch black. Clear skies do not mean calm waters. In a sailboat at night, when a wave rises higher than you are, it is like a wall of blackness. I can only imagine the perspective from the water.
Old 11-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Put your money where your mouth is and make a donation. Perhaps you would get more out of this if you did read the informed information within my SPIRITED opinion. Obviously you rather result to name calling. We all can see who is the immature person here. I happen to know Laura personally so if anything, my opinion does matter more than yours ever will.
I call 'em as i see 'em. I have read your posts. Thank you for reaffirming my opinion.