Sinking of Rule 62 - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboat View Post
Pretty unusual to have 2 full moons 8 days apart, since around here the moon is full tomorrow, Nov. 21. Just sayin'.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Yes, Bob. Exactly.

On Saturday the 13th of November 2010 the moon was in it's first quarter, meaning that about half of the moon was visible.

From the position of Latitude 62 at the time of the grounding, the moon would have been near it's transit time of 7:18PM AST and would have been 53 degrees 34 minutes above the horizon in a due south direction. So they would have had the moon off their port beam most of the way in towards Lynyard Cay.

Bill
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmidas@aol.com View Post

The family wants to hire a local captain and powerboat in the area for the search – preferably 24 feet or larger due to the conditions (center console is fine). Any recommendations?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a pilot/plane, etc. ?
You may want to contact the local FBO, which is one of the only professional FBOs in the out islands. They may know a private pilot willing to help. Welcome to Cherokee Air and Cherokee Aviation

I also seem to recall that the Abaco Beach Resort rents center console boats of that size.

The local community will probably be willing to help.
post #123 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclimbusa View Post
Thanks, Ditto me, my desire is not hampered.

I want to add that although it was fully night when the vessel hit the reef and swamped, there was a nearly full moon, no clouds, according to reports from other vessels at Marsh Harbor at the time.

The foundered but unsunk yacht awash on the reef would be visible to a swimmer in the water, in my opinion.

Prayers for Laura Zekoll and her family.
I guess the locals haven't a clue bill....
post #124 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Hi there - thank you for the posts so far - I will forward them tonight.

The family's flight from Miami to Marsh Harbour was cancelled, so they are having to overnight in Miami. They will immediately be going to the site once they arrive around 9am in the morning.

The biggest need at this point is to see if there are any locals who know the waters well and can help in the search.

Likewise, other cruisers willing to be a part of the search would be much appreciated.

Please continue with your thoughts and recommendations. I love sailors and this site - it is very reassuring to be a part of this community.

Thanks again to all.
Lyn
post #125 of 636 Old 11-20-2010
Last Man Standing

xxuxx, you and trout need to get a room. Maybe with a little extra padding.

It's one thing to ask questions about what happened and think it through. It's another to blather on about conspiracies and unsubstantiated crap.

Go to your backyard...or, better yet, FightClub to vent. We'll be happy to help you through your rage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #126 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Thought you might be interested:

Posted on the Facebook page "Bring Laura Zekoll Home" by Zorrest Millman before their flight was cancelled:

Angie just called me from Miami during her lay over on her way to the Bahamas in her search for Laura. She asked me to post this update. They're leaving Miami at 3:30 pm & will arrive at 4:43 pm on Marsh Island today, Sat., Nov. 20th. Everything is on schedule as planned. They'll meet Brent Bass, a Waden/Volunteer upon arrival on Marsh Island. She was directed to him by the US Embassy. He has lived on Marsh Island his entire life, is a diver, & knows the island & area very well! **Angie asked that everyone pray that he'll be able to get off work Sun. & Mon. to assist in their recovery efforts to find Laura!!** She'll keep us updated! Praying!
post #127 of 636 Old 11-20-2010
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Come on good people...we have a probable tragedy here. There will be plenty of time to apportion blame when it all becomes clearer. For now I urge you all to keep it civil. A bit of consideration for the feelings of those directly effected by this is not too much to ask for, is it now ?

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #128 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The closest 'safe entrance' during such a blow would be to round the north side of Eleuthera Is. and then enter from the west into the lee-sheltered waters near Spanish Wells or Royal Island .... about another ~8-10 hours south from Lynyard Cay.

Useful. Thanks.
post #129 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

By the way, is S/Y Nancy Ellen really still out there, about half way, tabbing along at just over 2 kts, or is that a transponder glitch?
post #130 of 636 Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermizu View Post
By the way, is S/Y Nancy Ellen really still out there, about half way, tabbing along at just over 2 kts, or is that a transponder glitch?
Good question.

Looks to me like she's out there all right. She went down the ditch and left from Moorhead City about a week ago.

Winds in her area look to be very light and variable, and are likely to remain so for the next few days. The Nancy Ellen is a Catalina 34.

From her track, it appears that she's following a more traditional route, i.e., getting her easting done as far as 65W and is likely to hang a right on I65 and head due south for the islands. But she needs to make considerable southing before picking up the easterly trades, if the predictions are correct.

Bill

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.