Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Just read that on the Carib1500 site. Hope they've found her.

Anybody know why they diverted? I've been watching the progress of Cat 1 boat from our marina and a Catalina 34 in Cat 7, that went inside part of the way and is lagging the fleet, so I noticed over the weekend that Rule 62 had headed for the Bahamas rather than continuing toward Tortola.

I figured they'd be enjoying a nice rum drink within a few hours from the last time I checked. Unbelieveable how quick things become life and death.

Best wishes to everyone in the fleet for a safe completion of your journey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
First of all, all of our thoughts go out to them and their family. Hopefully the good Lord will be looking out for them/her.

THe VHF down here was reporting huge swells and rough seas in the Atlantic due to the frontal passages, etc. I was sitting there thinking to my self when I heard it how glad I wa not over there. No doubt those folks are getting a really hard time of it. Sure hope they can find the crew and in good health.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2010
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
I hope for a safe recovery of the missing lady. The pic of the swells was pretty sobering. Plenty of good boats have had their last moments above water on Bahamian reefs.
Old 11-15-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
No word, yet. I'm monitoring the radio nets.

The Caribbean 1500 was delayed in its departure from Hampton, VA due to threatening weather. Hurricane Tomas couldn't make up his mind which way to go. When after some time it finally moved off to the East of Eleuthra, the main event got started.

It was a judgment call and a short window. A friend of mine on a well-found 42' sloop (not in the event but headed the same way) holed up for 2 days due to equipment problems, then missed the window and decided not to go. Good call.

Those that did go followed a path close to the coast, well inside the Gulf Stream, since the prevailing strong winds were from the northerly quadrant, kicking up quite a sea. A few sought other ways and ports, but most of the fleet continued southwards, then southeast towards the Eastern Caribbean. There was a separate group which from the beginning headed to the Bahamas. Rule 62 was not one of these, but was in Cruising Class 7 headed for Tortola.

Despite the rough weather, most of the fleet seems to have done quite well, and they're nearing arrival in Tortola. To my knowledge, Rule 62's decision a few days back to divert to the Bahamas is unexplained. I guess we'll find out eventually.

For the record, Rule 62 is a Jeanneau 45DS built in 2008. She has a deep draft, I believe 7.5'. Her owners are Richard and Debra Ross of Atlanta. The missing crewmember, Laura Zekoll, is a successful founder and CEO of a computer company in Atlanta.

The maritime nets are still putting out the call for anyone in the area, but that's doubtful. Wish I could post the chart, but can't get pix to work on this Board...damn. The grounding site is 2/3 mile south of the North Bar Channel at the north end of Lynyard Cay in the Abacos -- not far south of Marsh Harbour. Nobody in their right mind would intentionally be sailing close to that coast in rough weather, so it's doubtful if anyone would by chance spot a MOB.

Let's hope that the Coast Guard and BASRA are on the job and doing all they can.

Bill

You can view the chart here: 2010 Caribbean 1500 Rally - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-15-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I'll try and post the chart.

Old 11-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Rick/Bill,

I am a bit confused: Were they aiming for N Bar Channel, missed it, and hit Lennard Key, or did they wreck north of the Key and the wreck drifted south? Or maybe you don't know?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Brian,

Don't really know, all I know is they were trying to get in. Along that stretch North Bar Channel is the widest and easiest approach. It is essentially straight in, no dekes or anything. It's 1/4 mile wide but again should not be attempted in a rage. The condition of the various cuts is always discussed in the morning cruisers net there. That's how important it is.

Old 11-15-2010

TAK is on a distinguished road
Looking at a close up of the tracking by Rule 62, it appears that they were headed due west for an inlet.. that as they approached perhaps (?) the swells pushed them off and in to the reef..

Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 11-15-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yeah, everything is pure speculation at this point. Their reported position on the reef some 4,400 ft (2/3 of a nautical mile) south of the middle of North Bar Channel is quite a ways off. Don't know how to explain that, really. Maybe a navigational error? GPS datum error? Don't know what charting system they were using.

The raster chart I posted agrees very well with the smaller scale but presumably more reliable NOAA raster chart of the area, and with all other charts of the area from the same provider.

Guess we'll find out some day. Still no news of Laura, and that's the important missing piece.

Bill
Old 11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Looking at a close up of the tracking by Rule 62, it appears that they were headed due west for an inlet.. that as they approached perhaps (?) the swells pushed them off and in to the reef..

TAK,

You're right. Their track clearly shows them headed for the North Bar Channel. Then, when they're still quite a ways out, they suddenly turn SW and head straight for the grounding point on Lynyard Cay. One might speculate that some catastrophic event occurred BEFORE they reached the channel, and the boat more or less became the playtoy of prevailing NE winds and heavy seas until she grounded 2/3 of a mile south of the Channel.

Again, I can't post the damned image...why is this Board so difficult?....but if you zoom in on the last position of Rule 62 on the Caribbean 1500 tracking website you'll see it.

Bill

Bill