Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
In my humble opinion, an off shore boat should have a number of design attributes - 1) high stability - righting moment, 2) deep, not flat forefoot ahead of keel to ease entry, 3)Weight (tanks,etc.) centered over keel to limit hobby-horseing, 4) a narrow stern, 5) a deep cockpit with a high bridge deck, 6) all control lines in cockpit, 7) Solid hulls at least to the water line, 8) wide and flat decks. Unfortunately many newer boats have gone in other directions such as carrying the beam aft as far as possible, flattening the forefoot for speed, wide, open cockpits, cored hulls, fuel tanks under aft berth, no flat surfaces forward. Many of these design features are made to increase internal volume at rest and make the boats easier to sell not sail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
On my boat, the lee clothes are attached to fittings below the settee in the salon and attach to fittings, including the overhead handrail, overhead. Aft around the centerline berth the lee clothes go to fittings on the inside of the transom and on the overhead near the forward bulkhead of the aft cabin. Those work great. We also end up with people sleeping on the floor in the salon and the walkthrough. Those end up being the most popular places. Camping pads work great there.

I often end up on the floor somewhere on deliveries of boats that aren't necessarily fitted out well for sailing offshore for days on end.
Cool. Thanks ausp.

As for the fittings, did you install them? And, if so, what do they look like and how are they anchored/water-proofed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-21-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Take a look at the boats that today (not 20 or 30 years ago) win the Newport-Bermuda race. That's a good begining. They are very different from that one.
The 2010 winner was Carina, a McCurdy and Rhodes design. This was her second overall win, the first one coming 40 years earlier.

2008 and 2006 were won by Sinn Fein, a Cal 40 built some 45 years ago.

Not that the Bermuda Race is the definitive answer on any of this, but the old designs do pretty well at it.
Old 12-21-2010
Couch Explorer

Melantho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Paulo, haven’t you heard? The Sense 50 was the sensation of the Annapolis show this year, and Jeanneau is literally turning boating into “child’s play”…
One of my regular crew spent some time offshore in the Sense 50. His opinion was the boat is designed for a dockside party for 30, not offshore passages.
Old 12-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melantho View Post
One of my regular crew spent some time offshore in the Sense 50. His opinion was the boat is designed for a dockside party for 30, not offshore passages.
I'd hit it.

However, it definitely looks like a poodlefied-condo - not a tuffy. Look at the dude working from the leeward to windward wheel at about 1:30. Looks like he's climbing Everest. You want to do that in 10' seas? With a gimpy knee? And a poodle?

Fuggedaboudit.

(PS - What's with the up/down thing going on at about 0:42? Is this the whole freakin' house-top compressing? Or just a bad video angle of the tv/heavy-seas-backstop?)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Non - Sense!!
Old 12-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
High stability and righting moment are two totally different things. A cruising catamaran has high stability, but little righting moment once it gets knocked down. Many older narrower design monohulls have little initial stability, but stiffen up as they heel and will self-right just fine.

Solid hulls are not necessary, and may be weaker than properly constructed cored hulls.

A deep cockpit is a bad idea, unless it is fairly small. Too large a cockpit makes the danger of being pooped far greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald View Post
In my humble opinion, an off shore boat should have a number of design attributes - 1) high stability - righting moment, 2) deep, not flat forefoot ahead of keel to ease entry, 3)Weight (tanks,etc.) centered over keel to limit hobby-horseing, 4) a narrow stern, 5) a deep cockpit with a high bridge deck, 6) all control lines in cockpit, 7) Solid hulls at least to the water line, 8) wide and flat decks. Unfortunately many newer boats have gone in other directions such as carrying the beam aft as far as possible, flattening the forefoot for speed, wide, open cockpits, cored hulls, fuel tanks under aft berth, no flat surfaces forward. Many of these design features are made to increase internal volume at rest and make the boats easier to sell not sail.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-21-2010

IKena is on a distinguished road
I am not sure why so much distaste for the Jeanneaus.

They are definitely good boats, even though not my style. And I'm definetely conservative as most gents are here.

The boat has nothing to do with the incident. If the crew & captain were not experienced enough to sail that kind of boat offshore, then that's the problem here. A 45ft boat is a lot of a boat to handle if it was their first offshore passage. And if it was not their first offshore passage, they should know how the boat behave.
Old 12-21-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Am I the only one here who thinks that some of these posts are utterly inappropriate for this thread ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-21-2010

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks that some of these posts are utterly inappropriate for this thread ?

I'll 2nd that....

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.