Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Why No Photos or Onsite Reports Yet?

I am in disbelief that nearly one week after the Rule 62 came to grief at the north end of Lynyard Cay we still have:

1. no photos at all;
2. no onsite reports at all; and
3. no explanation directly from the captain or crew.

A cruising boat passing the area yesterday enroute to Marsh Harbour reported NO VISIBLE ACTIVITY in the area of the incident.

What gives?????

BASRA?
BDF?
USCG?
Capt. Ross?
Dave?

Very strange, indeed!

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-19-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010

lynmidas@aol.com is on a distinguished road
I completely agree. Someone mentioned potential legal implications, but I am very frustrated and hate hearing that there was no visible activity in the area.
Old 11-19-2010

rainbowtroutaa is on a distinguished road
I was wondering just how long it would take you all to realize that something was not right with this situation. Maybe now, those of you with boats or who have the capability to go out to this location , will help Merideth Jorden and Laura Zekoll's family when they arrive on Saturday. Perhaps lynmidas you can post Merideth Jorden's contact information and anyone in the local area willing to volunteer and help Laura's family and frends can contact her. I think that any support from her fellow seamen would at least aleaviate the horrible pain of the unknown that must be embarking on these people and all those concerned I Atlanta Georgia and beyond. If anything, closure I this tragedy will help begin the process to heal.
Old 11-19-2010

Runaway07 is on a distinguished road
Tragedy

I was in the Bahamas Rally Class this year and my crew met the crew of Rule 62 at the docks with Debra giving one of our crew a hair cut before we left. I have done 3 Caribbean 1500's and 1 Atlantic Cup with The Cruising Rally Association. The staff that Steve Black has assembled over the years are some of the finest sailors and truly nice people you will ever meet. They will always take the time to provide advice and valuable insight. If they had been consulted as to Rule 62's plans they would have talked them into a safer course of action. It is a shame that this has any reflection on them.

Anyone who has been out to sea and been in bad weather knows the dangers we face. You have to expect the worst and then be pleasantly surprised if conditions turn out to be better. I have cruised the Abacos and Marsh Harbor and they are dangerous cuts if there is any north or east waves or swells. Wind against current is a deadly combination.

We need to learn as much as possible from events like these. My sincere condolences go out to the crew, family and friends of Laura Zekoll. With time we will come to understand what really happened. May this be a lesson to us all.

Bill
Old 11-19-2010

This was sent via email to Laura's family and friends:

November 19, 2010
fficeffice" />>>
Friends,
>>
It is with a heavy heart that I relay this information to you. On Saturday November 13, 2010 our ffice:smarttags" />Laura Zekoll was on a sailing trip that took a turn for the worst. While heading into the lace w:st="on">Bahamaslace> the 4 member sailboat encountered terrible weather, the boat was capsized and all 4 members were thrown overboard. 3 crew members made it safely to shore, our Laura Zekoll did not. We are in constant contact with the Coast Guard as well as the Bahamian government as there is currently an on-going search for Laura. In an effort to aid with rescue operations and bring Laura home, Angie Cushwa (Laura’s sister) as well as family and friends will journey to the lace w:st="on">Bahamaslace> on Saturday November 20, 2010. Donation and/or contributions are being asked to help fund the rescue mission.
>>
Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo Bank to account #1689977989/route #061000227 or Wells Fargo customers may donate online at www.wellsfargo.com.
>>
Please check facebook under: Laura Zekoll for status and daily updates.
>>
We appreciate each of your for your kind words, thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
>>
Warm Regards,
Angie Cushwa
Old 11-19-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
The conditions at North bar cut are still very rough. Following is from Barometer Bob:
Passage conditions: (Updated by 9 AM)
Friday, November 19, 2010

Sea of Abaco conditions: Troy at Dive Guana reports NE winds at 15, whitecapping in the middle
Whale Cay Passage: Nippers reports a 4’ swell and "plenty of chop"
North Man-O-War: Susan at Penrod Point reports 4-6’ seas, breaking, "rough"
South Man-O-War - Brother Moses reports: nothing heard
Tiloo Cut: Nothing heard.
Little Harbour or North Bar: "very rough"

Please remember that we are just trying to help out with these reports. You are the captain of your vessel so the decision will be yours alone.
Updates thanks to jill p

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2010

Thanks for the updates on the conditions, Rick and Jill. Not the best weather to be out there and certainly there is no need for additional risk to be taken in these treacherous waters.

If anyone wants to contact the family directly, it looks like Facebook might be the best way, but it doesn't look as if there is any activity on the page yet:

"Please check facebook under: Laura Zekoll for status and daily updates."
Old 11-19-2010

I am having trouble pasting in these fields today...

"Please check facebook under: Laura Zekoll for status and daily updates."
Old 11-19-2010

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
You may not have enough posts to put up a link, I'll try it

Facebook page; Bring Laura Zekoll Home

Facebook link | Bring Laura Zekoll Home

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 11-19-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I am in disbelief that nearly one week after the Rule 62 came to grief at the north end of Lynyard Cay we still have:

1. no photos at all;
2. no onsite reports at all; and
3. no explanation directly from the captain or crew.

A cruising boat passing the area yesterday enroute to Marsh Harbour reported NO VISIBLE ACTIVITY in the area of the incident.

What gives?????

BASRA?
BDF?
USCG?
Capt. Ross?
Dave?

Very strange, indeed!

Bill
Bill,

I think it’s unrealistic to expect BASRA, the BDF or the USCG to go take pictures of the lost boat, and post them on the internet to satisfy our curiosity. Who’s going to go out to do an “on site report” for us? As for explanations, my guess is that Capt. Ross is still in dealing with the loss and may awaiting to see what an official inquiry may require of him. Dave is grieving and recovering from his injuries. Ask youself, if you were in their shoes, what would you be doing this week? I doubt it would be posting on SailNet.

Respectfully,
Scott

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.