Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yacht in Distress - Tasman Sea

"A man and a woman have been rescued from a sinking yacht in treacherous conditions off the New South Wales south coast.
Police say the couple, aged 65 and 56, were on their way to Fiji from Sydney when they ran into trouble about 170 nautical miles east of Wollongong.
They set off an emergency beacon at about 3:15pm on Sunday." ABC News

More here.....

Couple rescued from sinking yacht - ABC Sydney - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Another happy ending

Quote:
Skipper Dennis Smith says his wife Sarah has made it clear their ocean sailing days are over.
I wonder if Mrs Smith had been hitting her husband with the boat hook until the rescuers arrived.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-15-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Hmmm.. I wouldn't call that a happy ending.

My guess would be that Mrs Smith's sailing days are over and that Mr Smith will be lucky if Mrs Smith allows him anywhere near a boat again!
Old 11-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Another happy ending

I wonder if Mrs Smith had been hitting her husband with the boat hook until the rescuers arrived.
I really want more info. They were supposedly 300km east of Wollongong enroute to Fiji.....check that out on Google Earth.....the Tasman Sea is one of the nastiest stretches of water on the planet. I have no idea which port they sailed out of but SE NSW direct to Fiji is never going to be a good move.

Woud love to know what they were sailing. Probably some old timber clunker....(Hi Hartley, yes I saw you lurking....)

Interview I heard on Sydney radio this AM suggested he was now a harbour sailor, his offshore day's are over.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-15-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
My daughters farm looks out over the mouth of the Hokianga Harbour and into the Tasman Sea, Northland,NZ
A wild but beautifull piece of water!
I completely fell in love with it though not been out on it!
Old 11-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Don't know the type and no image files but the boat in question was 13m and built in 1985. The couple concerned had made eight trips to Fiji in recent years so plenty of experience.

The NSW coast is a dodgey place at the best of times. If you are not prepared to wait for your weather you will spend a lot of time motoring or in summer bashing into nor easterly winds with the occasional southerly to liven up your life. Most people would tend to coast hop north and then head out via New Caledonia. Would take a few days longer but you'd avoid the inevitable hiding the Tasman is bound to dish out at some stage on what would presumably be a ten - fifteen day passage.

I guess they figured they had the experience and a well found yacht. Seems like they lost their rudder by the sounds of things.

This is the rescue launch. NSW Water Police...we don't have a Coast Guard as such other than a volunteer CG than do inshore rescue work.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.