Boating Quotes - Page 4 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 11-20-2010

You can teach someone how to sail, but can't teach them why.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-20-2010

Aircraft pilots saying: there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots. The same could be said for sailors because mother nature has a way of giving a good slap when one gets careless from too much ego.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-20-2010

daily grog ceremony

The first evening in port after the race the crew was hanging out in the cockpit. The captain came on deck and said a few words about how hard his crew worked, how well we did, how much fun things were, etc, and how we had earned our daily ration. Then he unwrapped the bottle and a few shot glasses and distributed the ration!

The funny thing was that during the race he had hinted that we better work hard in order to earn our grog. We noticed the hints, but didn't really think he was serious about grog. So, it was really cool when he brought out the bottle.

After that, each day of the return trip we anticipated the "ceremony". And, each night in port, the skipper awarded his crew with a ration. In fact, we actually had to resupply before returning to our home port.

If you have anyone aboard that is not of age or avoids alcohol, you can have some other suitable "treat" beverage. My 7 year old son joined us for the last leg of the return trip. Unaccustomed to soda, his ration was one can of root beer. In fact, his ticket aboard was a six pack of root beer.

Fun times. . . .I cannot wait until spring.
post #34 of 36 Old 11-21-2010

Though perhaps a bit well worn here are a couple of my favorites:

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?"

Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

The sea teaches you little you need not how much.

Robin Lee Graham, Then Dove
post #35 of 36 Old 11-21-2010
Wish I never found SN!

Fron the Head: "Ahhh Ohhh............................DAD"

Simon
Ericson 39B.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitsundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
post #36 of 36 Old 11-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Fron the Head: "Ahhh Ohhh............................DAD"
Which can only be followed by...

"Cruising is the art of fixing your boat in exotic places."

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.