Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Carib1500 shout outs

Despite the recent tragedy, I'd like to give some shout outs to the rest of the fleet and congratulate them on successful voyages. As recent events attest its not without risk.

Special credit to Sunsets from HHS for leading the fleet in to Tortola.

Special credit to Nancy Ellen (Catalina 34) for tenacity and both Nancy Ellen and Salubrious (Caliber 33) of Fleet 7 for showing us it can be done in moderately priced/sized boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
What I can't understand is the fact that the Carib 1500 web site has virtually shut down with one participant still only about half way... With already one tragedy on the books for this years Rally and their secret freqs so no outsiders can monitor..I question their policies and procedures...
Old 11-20-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
?????????????

I was wondering the same thing???????????????
Old 11-20-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Scared of lawsuits!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2010

mikebancroft is on a distinguished road
Totally agree on the congrats. I must admit, though, I once again question the "rally" idea. I just finished delivering a Tartan 4400 down to the Abacos. We were lucky and the owner had a flexible schedule, something I was important to me. We moved the boat down to Norfolk from Annapolis tracking weather and currents at least weeks before departure. When we got to Norfolk we were stuck on the back end of a huge low pressure system with rediculous south winds. So we went inside during the blow to Beaufort, just in time for a new high to roll through.

We went out in a fresh norther, knowing it would turn SWly by the time we got to our southern point where we wanted to cross the Stream. Worked like clockwork, if anything things were a wee light for a day and we had to motorsail.

The Rally folks departure date was planned for Nov 1 - we left Oct 28. Nov 1 they were stuck in horrrible weather for quite a while. We were sipping rum drinks on the beach by Nov 3. Amazing what a flexible schedule, watching the weather and knowing when to GO can do for making a trip good or bad.
Old 11-20-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
actually, we didnt leave nov. 1, we left nov 8. and the weather was OK if a bit rough for the first few days. But good wind the whole way down. If you question the rally concept then by all means go it alone, but I found it to be quite helpful the first time on this trip to have lots of experienced people to ask questions of. I didnt know the radio freqs were secret but really all you get from them that is useful is Commander's daily weather update. And you really should pay for that if you want it instead of trying to catch it for free since they are a real business, not a charity.

and yes, a 33 ft. boat is just fine to go on so long as you prepare right. I would say the biggest limit is that with a smaller boat you have less people on board (we had three) and so are spending more time on watch - You end up more tired but who cares? I am happy to be tired in the BVI's
Old 11-20-2010

rainbowtroutaa is on a distinguished road
For those of you who completed this years 1500 and personally know capt. Ross, his wife, davd s.and Laura z. please visit the 'sinking of rule 62' forum here on sailnet , report anything that you know or have heard. Please donate via BASRA or well fargo online in an effort to help keep the search for Laura Z. active. Her family and friends have arrived in the Bahamas today and they will continue the search and investigation until this mystery is solved.
Old 11-20-2010

rainbowtroutaa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Scared of lawsuits!!!
absolutely agree 100% thats why captain Ross paid to secure the ship from looters until the insurance adjusters investigated the wreck. a reliable source has reported that they have checked the boat and there was no sign of Laura on first review. Another check will begin today as the investigation continues and the boat has been moved. with all due respect it will be up to her family to report if she has been found once an identification has been made.
Old 11-27-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Tortola at last

Nancy Ellen finally made it.

Not sure if then had really light winds or what. They shouldn't have been a lot slower than the Caliber 33, but it sure looks like they took their sweet time.

Anyway its good to see they made the trip safely in a boat very much like mine. Gives me something to aspire to.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 11-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
What I can't understand is the fact that the Carib 1500 web site has virtually shut down with one participant still only about half way... With already one tragedy on the books for this years Rally and their secret freqs so no outsiders can monitor..I question their policies and procedures...
Hey Clay,

Some friends of mine sailed their Cabo Rico 38 in the Carib 1500 about 7 or 8 years ago and had some unkindly remarks about their policies. They were in the back of the pack with about 6 other boats some days away from the finish and it seems that the orginizers completely ignored them after the bulk of the fleet had finished. I don't remember their blog or if it's still up but it contained more detail about their impression of the rally.