SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Took the gals sailing yesterday

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  steveg353 
#1 ·
Yesterday was a great sailing day in Galveston Bay. Temps were in the 70s and the wind was 10-15 out of the south....just perfect.
The Admiral and I had the chance to take my Mom and her best friend out and we had a great day.
One picture we are making good way even with the 130 genoa still wrapped up a little. After accepting that the boat is supposed to "lean over", they both loved it.
The other pic, we are hove to, sun going down, and the girls are enjoying some liquid refreshments.
Keep in mind, these two are 80+ in years and were more fun out there than most of my buddies.
I just thought I would share this because it is so much fun when non sailors have a great time on a sailboat!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
This is completely irrelevent but looking at the picture made me think about how many people wear sunglasses now. Even in pictures. A lot of other countries think it is disrespectful to speak to someone while wearing sunglasses, not that I think it at all. I do think people are better looking without them.. I can't help but feeling like they are a sort of mask that takes away from a persons looks. Obviously the benefits are tremendous so far as exposure to UV rays and comfort.. Idk. Not really any solution and its not really a 'problem' so why would there be? I guess I just wonder if anyone else feels the same way..
I have never worn any glasses, sun or other. Some times I have wished I had some during extremely bright days but when ever I have ended up wearing them I just do not like it. Weird...

#8 ·
I am not really trying to focus on sailors because the suns reflection off the water and decks can be intense no question. I was more referring to just every day life. I walk around at night and see half the people in shades! I don't know if they're high, blind, or have really good night vision? Besides that I see them everywhere. Everyone wears them now in all manners of places. Anyway, it was just a tangent and I was not trying to take away anything from this topic or the pictures therein. I am glad the ladies had a good time out on the water.

#9 ·
This reminds me of when I took my parents sailing this summer. My dad actually knew how to sail and never bothered to share this tidbit with me. He'd done some deliveries in the past.

I can't get him to race with me though...

#11 ·
I only wish my dad could have gone. We lost him in July.
It has taken a while to get my mom out. Her only experience on a sailboat was not good (about 30 years ago).
My sister’s husband at the time, took us all out on his fathers 30'er....did an accidental jibe in about 20mph wind and put the boat over 90deg on its side.
Needless to say, she thought that was part of sailing and wanted nothing to do with it.....ever....until last week.
I am still smiling from the other day....just a great day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.