Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Love it. That was grand. There are areas on this planet I'd love to cruise (the PNW being right up there) but ever since I first read Ring of Bright Water and later saw the film Local Hero I have had Scotland in my sights. Oh woe the tyranny of distance for one resident in the antipodes.

Wonderful pics and thanks for the map. There are many more canals than I had imagined, indeed I was under the impression that only the Caledonian actually crossed the island completely, though I'm thinking a six foot draft would have problems. ??

Thanks again Fascadale.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Falkirk Wheel

The name made me pause....how good is this ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Very cool... I've seen this somewhere before.. Canal cruise and carnival ride all in one!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-20-2010

Fascadale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
though I'm thinking a six foot draft would have problems. ??
The British Waterways state that the depth of the Forth Clyde Canal is 1.83ms or 6 ft.

This thread has a fairly full discussion about the Forth Cldye, including a photo of a submarine going through and this one has more info.

The main restriction on the canal at present is the Kerse Bridge on the River Carron. There is only 4.8ms (16ft) from the river bed to the bottom of the bridge, so if you have a water draught of 6 ft you can only have 10 ft air draught. To complicate matters further there can be a 4 m (12ft) tide on the river so you have to time your arrival at the bridge very carefully. There's a good photo of the problem on GoogleEarth

The Waterways Board do have a plan to divert the canal avoiding the bad bridges and tidal river. But with the economy being the way it is right now, maybe it will be a while before the work is done.
Old 11-20-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Great thing was that they moved mountains to reopen the Forth Clyde Canal which had been derelict for years-as well as building the wheel they raised up a four lane dual carraigway-the Great Western Road in Glasgow which had been built across the canal after it had fallen into disuse.
A picture of Sandaig Bay(Maxwells Camusfearna)http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3539/...f07ec0.jpg?v=0.
As for the beach on Local Hero just Google Arisaig.
Sandaig Bay looks far better from sea and lives up to Ring of Brightwater expectations.Again Google images.
Being single handed invariably the times I could get good pictures I am occupied.
Old 11-20-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Great photos, and sounds like a wonderful cruise. We encountered a sub while coming up the Firth of the Clyde. It went by, outbound, about 100 yards off as we eased along under spinnaker. What I noticed was that we were making more noise with our wake and fluttering sails than they were under power at twice our speed.