Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
Don't they make a furling head sail with a intermediate reef point for basic reefing. Yes a storm jib is needed but in a situation where you are just trying to reduce heel reefable headsail should do the job and keep shape. Kappa makes one they claim reefs to a storm jib.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011

SailingFireFighter123 is on a distinguished road
I think 'Minnewaska' says it all, in his last sentence.
Old 03-05-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
Re: Do roller-furling cruisers need a storm jib?

Is not having a separate storm jib less of an issue for smaller boats, where the loads would be less? My boat is 25' and 5,000 lbs and the PO installed a CVI flexible furler. I don't have an inner forestay, so this topic has me wondering. I don't see how it would be remotely possible to bring down my roller furling jib if the wind were blowing enough to warrant putting up a separate storm jib.
Old 03-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Is not having a separate storm jib less of an issue for smaller boats, where the loads would be less? My boat is 25' and 5,000 lbs and the PO installed a CVI flexible furler. I don't have an inner forestay, so this topic has me wondering. I don't see how it would be remotely possible to bring down my roller furling jib if the wind were blowing enough to warrant putting up a separate storm jib.
It depends on the use you give to your boat. On a 26ft probably you are not crosing the Atlatic so probably you are more than ok.

But let me point down that a removable stay for a storm jib it is not necessarily an inner-forestay. Some boats have the place for the removable forestay just a little bit aft the furling stay.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-05-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

We got caught for a brief time in winds that picked up to 45+kts sustained. We deep reefed the genoa and but only had a single reef in the main. Lost an 11' batten and shredded the telltales on a brand-new North sail that had the reef points improperly positioned.

This was in a short, 20 mile race, where the predicted 20-25 kts rapidly escalated. We didn't have time to go forward to hook the tack for the second reef (just my wife and I on the boat and we hadn't rigged jacklines) when it started blowing like stink. We were beating on an upwind leg to clear an island before heading into port and were getting the first set of life lines in the water on the roll.

Lessons learned: 1) have the sail loft that measured your boat verify when the sails are delivered 2) if you don't arrange for the sail loft to do so, check your reef points carefully and don't wait till you need to reef to do it. 3) a deep-reefed genoa doesn't have the best aerodynamics. 4) not being able to flatten your sail will not allow you to sail close to the wind, nor will a deep-reefed genoa.

Bottom line: If you need to go to weather in a blow, make sure your sails are appropriate. A deep-reefed genoa isn't appropriate, even if it doesn't overly stress your rig.

P.S. We have storm sails and removable inner forestay and running backstays, but they weren't on the boat at the time. If I were to attempt Bermuda, they would be aboard.
Old 03-05-2012
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road

hey guys I have a small storm gib, although it has hank on hardware I thinhk the PO used 1 of 2 spinnaker haylards to a bow eye halfway between the furl genny, and the main then hoisted on said line with spinnaker halyard 2 as kind of a cutter sail rig. I would like to use as a gale sail, tryig to figure out how to attach loosely to my furled sail. Maybe small line with loops on each end and small carabiners.....any thoughts???? Red
Old 03-06-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

I have a storm jib which appears out of the locker when on passage. It is in its own bag with a velcro opening. A dedicated halyard and downhaul are attached as are the sheets.

If needed, the genoa would be furled and the storm jib halyard will 'pop' the jib out of its bag and it can be raised / or lowered from the cockpit.

As I dont expect to be offshore anytime in the next year or two, the storm jib will be stashed away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Saw this mentioned on another thread and thought it worth asking about. And yes I see how crappy the shape is on a partially furled headsail, so maybe I know the answer already. My second question (below) stays relevant though....

1) We have a roller furled headsail (130%). One day I'd like to sail our boat to Bermuda. Is a storm jib necessary?

2) If so, how do you deploy it? Unless everyone is using the ATN storm jib that fastens over the rolled-up jib, I suppose everyone could be sliding their jib down the foil and putting it below. Is that the case? That seems like a challenge in any significant wind and seas.
Quote:
Good question I've wondered this myself, The experienced sailors that I have asked say you can use your furled headsail but it does put tremendous strain on your furling lines, and tackle etc. Just be sure its in good shape. We have a spare hank on style storm jib just as an emergency. Hope we never need half the stuff we "have in case" of an emergency.
Can you say "destroyed in 60 seconds"? The world is full of cliches; "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", or for the Boy-Girl Scout in you, "Always Prepared". Either way, a storm tri mounted on the main is a far safer approach to heavy weather sailing. Boats with "in boom or "in mast" main furling will have to add an external track to the main stick, but it's not a big deal. Putting all the load on the forestay is looking for a whole lot of trouble. If you're cruising and the weather is turning bad, it doesn't take but a few minutes to slide a main tri into it's track (it can be kept bagged under the boom till needed). A main mounted tri also gives better balance if you have to heave to, or perform an MOB. A head sail storm tri can also be added, but just end up in the way. Control is the key; if you think you can control a 130% Genoa in 50-70 knot winds (furled or not), go for it; if not, be prepared.
Old 03-06-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

A storm sail will outperform a partially-furled roller-furled sail any (stormy) day of the week.

A storm sail is wired around its perimeter, and is made from a very heavy fabric (typically orange).

A storm sail is vastly stronger than any conventional sail, partially furled or otherwise, and almost impossible to blow them out. Its centre of effort is very low and so it does not heel the boat much, and there is tremendous drive in high winds. I have seen a storm trysail pull the mainsail track out of the deck, such were the forces.

Make sure that the storm trysail has a separate track. The last thing you would want is to have to take the mainsail off before mounting the storm sail.

Storm sails for me, every time folks.

Last edited by Rockter; 03-06-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2012
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road

Anna, I understand what u r talking about, except if u hav a furler genny, what do u hank the storm sail to? do u have an extra stay. That was my ? I have a small storm gib, with no stay to hank it to. I am trying to find a way to fly it off my existing furled headsail. I am trying to think how I can attach it loosely and fairly timely fashion. Red