Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Do roller-furling cruisers need a storm jib?

Red,

You could have a local loft possibly put some new cloth around it so you velcro it on to the furled genoa. I believe there is an actual name brand for this type of option.

Another option I did a few times to see how it worked......I used on of my halyards attached to the bow, tightened it as much as possible, hanked on the SJ to it. It did frankly bow a bit more than I wanted......so I had a local loft remove the hanks, and put a #6 luff tape in, and now use this way. I do ot have a furler, so to make this options wor, you would need to remove the genoa going into a storm, and put the SJ in a groove on the furler.

I would personally talk with a local sail repair loft to get your best option. You might also be able to attach it to a mini forestay which I believe your Gin Fizz may have, as a lot of late 70 to ealry 80 Jeanneau's had i mini forestays. For the halyard, you would use the spin pole line or something out of the same place on the mast, if you are rigged like my 85 Arcadia.

marty
Old 03-06-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Anna, I understand what u r talking about, except if u hav a furler genny, what do u hank the storm sail to? do u have an extra stay. That was my ? I have a small storm gib, with no stay to hank it to. I am trying to find a way to fly it off my existing furled headsail. I am trying to think how I can attach it loosely and fairly timely fashion. Red
Hi Redhead,

I have the 'modern' version of a wire luff - made of the line they say you can use for backstays etc.

I just winch the luff to death , it is hanked on just aft of the furler and the halyard goes to the top of the mast [ I can put it at the 2nd spreader, but stay wise, its better going to the top]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Hi

I have the 'modern' version of a wire luff - made of the line they say you can use for backstays etc.

I just winch the luff to death , it is hanked on just aft of the furler and the halyard goes to the top of the mast [ I can put it at the 2nd spreader, but stay wise, its better going to the top]
But doesn't this put quite a bit of load on the halyard masthead block?
Old 03-06-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Now I'm no expert on storm sails, so I offer only advice I've heard - namely that a storm jib should not be set on the forestay, but on an inner forestay. The stated reason being that a boat will face difficult lee helm with a storm jib and trysail/reefed main, both with CEs quite forward. They also will not work together. Just what I've been told...
Old 03-06-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I carry a storm jib, but haven't used it in my last 4 Pacific crossings. The deeply furled jib has worked fine for me.
Old 03-06-2012
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road

Marty, I agree I would like to get a closer look at the product called the "GAle sail" from what I can figure they have made a kind of loop with maybe velcro on the luff that after u remove the genny sheets it fits loosely around the furled sail. Taking my genny down from the track is not even close to an option, its enough of a pain in the ass job just doing it once in the spring at the dock...mybe some kind of lite line wf double ended loops to the hanks???? thank for the info Red
Old 03-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a storm jib which appears out of the locker when on passage. It is in its own bag with a velcro opening. A dedicated halyard and downhaul are attached as are the sheets.

If needed, the genoa would be furled and the storm jib halyard will 'pop' the jib out of its bag and it can be raised / or lowered from the cockpit.

As I dont expect to be offshore anytime in the next year or two, the storm jib will be stashed away.
I really like this idea. Have thought about doing something like it, using a sewn-in Dyneema boltrope/halyard. Do you have a separate halyard winch on the cabin top to tension it or do you run your lines back to the main headsail winches? Where did you place your upper and lower attachments? With a rig like this it would seem that there is no need for a low mast attachment point like an inner stay and that the block could be right at the mast top, eliminating the need to have removable backstays.
Old 03-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Redhead,

My boat has a removable stay but I have saw in others a storm sail that has integrated a wire luff. It comes like that from the shipyard, it is an option and If they use it I am sure it works.

But as you say it cannot be rigged more than about 20cm below the stay otherwise you need running backstays.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Marty, I agree I would like to get a closer look at the product called the "GAle sail" from what I can figure they have made a kind of loop with maybe velcro on the luff that after u remove the genny sheets it fits loosely around the furled sail. Taking my genny down from the track is not even close to an option, its enough of a pain in the ass job just doing it once in the spring at the dock...mybe some kind of lite line wf double ended loops to the hanks???? thank for the info Red
Maybe you want also to look at this one:

It is the one we use In Europe, the Storm Bag. I had one, never used it except for trying. It was not dificult to deploy but a pain in the ass to put again in the bag

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-24-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

I ended up consulting a local rigger about this question, and he installed a padeye about 1/4 of the way down from the masthead and a d-shackle on my mooring cleat, which is about 2' aft of my bow, so now I can hoist my wire-luffed storm jib using a halyard that runs through a block at the masthead, with the line leading down the face of the mast to the padeye, then to the head of the storm jib. The only semi technical part was making sure we located the padeye so that the halyard and luff of the storm jib were parallel to the forestay (of the roller furled jib). I haven't tried it out in heavy weather yet, but it does mimic the arrangement that Val Howells had on the folkboat he sailed across the Atlantic in. I can send pictures if anyone's interested.

Last edited by willyd; 03-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.