Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010

luskin is on a distinguished road
Cool Fitting an A-Symetrical/code zero?

How do you fit a code zero if your roller furling genoa runs from the top of the mast to the bow?

The boat we're about to buy has a small bow-sprit with double bow anchor rollers. I was thinking some sort of extension off the bow sprit with a second roller furling in front of the genoa for the A-Symetrical. Then, when we tack the A-Symetrical, we'd have to roll it in, and then let it out on the other side. Sounds like a little bit of a pain though. And, I still can't figure out how to mount the A-symetrical at the top of the mast?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what boat you're buying, since someone may have experience with doing what you're trying to do. Also, does the forestay run to the tip of the bowsprit or is it at the end of the foredeck? Finally, what does the masthead truck on the boat look like? Does the forestay go to the top of the mast or is it attached to the end of the truck itself?

Since you're new to Sailnet, I'd also HIGHLY recommend you read the POST in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Is having the code zero on furling gear a must? You could always use a sock or equivolent.

Old 11-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A wireluff furler is a lot simpler to deal with than a sock or chutescoop.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A wireluff furler is a lot simpler to deal with than a sock or chutescoop.
I agree if you've got space and budget to add the furler but I mentioned the sock as an alternative.

Old 11-23-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Code zeros are also a pretty specific sail for a specific wind range and angle. Considering your boat even has an anchor roller, it's probably a waste. Here's a diagram that's pretty good.

And a boat that can really take advantage of a code zero
Old 11-23-2010

TAK is on a distinguished road
Rather than a wire have you looked at the Facnor's? I am thinking about one for my Gennaker .. As I understand the concept it remains wrapped when not in use, raised / lowered with the Spin halyard and stored in a turtle .. At least that is how I envision using it..

BTW,, I have a sock now and its effective but with th Facnor you can leave it up as long as you want and it wont interfer with the furling jib if located forward. r
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD

Last edited by TAK; 11-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2010

luskin is on a distinguished road
Thank you!

Sailnet is amazing! Thank you all so much for your support. The boat is a Pearson 422. They have a pretty low SA/D ratio. Our ultimate goal is to circumnavigate. We've heard that in a lot of the trip around the world at the equator, one has light trade winds on a rear quarter or or stern.

We're surveying the boat to purchase next Monday, so I don't know her really well. But, the forestay runs to the end of the fordeck, on a piece of metal that sticks up to between the dual bow rollers. The bow rollers go to the end of a short bow sprit. I'm embarassed to say I don't know what a masthead truck is. But, the boat does have in-mast furling. The forestay goes to the very top of the mast.

Sailnet is amazing! Forgive me if I am not doing it right yet. Sailindog mentioned I might look at the post on his signature. What is a signature? All insight is welcomed. And, I'll take some time to study the sight more.

Thank you so much!
Old 11-23-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
What is it that you want to accomplish? If you want a light air sail with reaching capability that can sail reasonably deep then a code zero may be a good solution. If you want to run then a sail cut much deeper will be better; even so, you may have to reef or strike your main.

Regardless you are going to want a spinnaker halyard on an overriding block to avoid fouling your forestay and foresail.

There are a number of spinnaker and spinnaker-variant rigs with furling systems of one kind or another. The rigging differences on the boat side (top and bottom) between a conventional a-sym, an a-sym with a sock, and a furling a-sym are inconsequential.

If you can possibly afford the time, find someone who races with a chute and volunteer for foredeck. One season racing foredeck and you won't have to ask questions - you'll answer them!
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-23-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
All kinds of people jumped in! I guess I don't type as fast as I used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luskin View Post
I'm embarassed to say I don't know what a masthead truck is.
The truck is just the metal casting at the top of the mast that holds the halyard sheaves and any halyard blocks you may have. It's just vocabulary - don't worry.

You may be interested in Jack Tyler's web site about his travels on Woosh, a Pearson 424. In particular, his Solent stay installation may be of interest to you.

The graphic posted by zz4gta is great and very helpful to keep everyone on the same page. Using the vocabulary there, I carry an asymmetric all-around sail. I fly it off a bowsprit from about 80T to 135(ish)T. Here is a picture of us reaching at about 90T in light air. Deeper than that I either dump the main or fly the chute off a spinnaker pole. I've been looking at a deep-running heavy-air symmetric to round out my inventory but have to do some juggling in my sail locker to make it fit. I may have to give up the sock on my a-sym to make room for the additional sail.

Good luck with the new boat!
beware "cut and paste" sailors.