Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Question Trailer-Sailer or Keel Boat

Wanting to get a little advice for the medium term future (i.e. to be implemented towards the end of next year).

I've successfully managed to get everyone in the family excited or at least ambivalent about the idea of sailing weekly. We're learning the ropes (quite literally) in Corsairs, but we all like the idea of "just sailing" so we're also looking ahead to when we've learnt enough (hence end of next year goal), of getting a larger boat we can relax a bit more when on the water.

I have four boys of various ages and a wife we need to fit aboard whilst weekend sailing. With this in mind, is a trailer-sailer going to be enough or should I be looking at a keel boat we need to moor at the lake marina?

Any advice would be appreciated up to & including particulars on the style/manufacturer of the boats we should be looking at.

We're Aussie and would be looking at sailing this on Lake Macquarie if this is of any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
It takes time to get the trailer-sailer mast up, sails on, equipment onboad, tow vehicle and trailer back to parking. With a keel boat, take the sail covers off and hoist the sail. Also, centerboard boats are more complex with the moveable part that sticks down in the water, more maintenance, and also more likely to put everyone in the water.
Old 11-28-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
If there are six of you a 26 footer would be the minimum size boat that i would buy. Even that would be crowded. Probably a keek boat would be more suited to what you want to do.

I dont know about whats available down under but as far as trailer sailors go in this size range in the states usually people go with a hunter, catalina, macgregor, or seaward.

On the plus size with four sons you should have enough help to rig a boat this size fairly quickly
Old 11-28-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
With that many in your family I'd look at 25-27 foot boats but IMHO keelboat or c/b are both fine in the big picture....if c/b (centerboard swing keel etc. ) then just check capsize ratio and find something around 2.00 or less....2.00 or under are considered safer...don't spend alot... get on the water in something you can afford...try to learn to know a good weather window and stay in protected bays,waters etc. while you hone your skills on the bigger boats...thats alot of crew to worry about while you are just learning a new boat...though Markck is correct that such a large crew should help alot with things...

Last edited by souljour2000; 11-28-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
FWIW... For that area and what you want to do, I'd suggets a trailer-sailer would be the way to go, then look to upgrade to a keel-boat once everyone is "on board" so to speak. A trailer-sailer will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and will allow you to run in close to the beach and/or go aground on one of them sandbars without stressing anyone overly.

There are a few larger trailables that come to mind that would be great fun on Lake Macquarie.. Noelex 25, Magnum 8.5 or a Sonata come to mind... but all require a 4WD to tow them.

Check out Boatpoint for something close to home and go have a look.

Good luck!

Last edited by Classic30; 11-28-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What is your budget?

I'd think a Farrier or similar design of sport trimaran might be a good choice if you have the budget for it. They're a lot of fun to sail, and have a lot of room during nice weather for you and your kids to spread out on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2010

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
The budget is slightly variable depending on how far I can make my wife (Admiral & guardian of the purse-strings ) fall in love with the boat. At the moment, I am looking at options to work out how much I need to put aside (preventing it being spent on other stuff) and to sort out how much grovelling will be required when we start shopping

I will confess a preference to monohull boats, but am open to the idea of a multihull if it is better for the family. I'm not the competitive type on the water, currently only participating in races for the experience it provides. So the speed advantage of multihulls just doesn't grab me. That said, with four boys - I'm sure they'd outvote me if given a chance!
Old 11-29-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Multihulls are a lot of fun. Unfortunately they are usually they are fewer and farther between. You can normally find a used monohull thats cheap and readily available.
Old 11-29-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Buy More Than One

You could buy several small centerboard boats and race each other
Old 11-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, from what I've seen, there are a lot of mulithulls down in Oz and NZ. In some ways, more so than up in the USA. A lot of the better multihull designers are from that area, including Ian Farrier, who helped found Corsair Marine so many years ago...

The Farrier Eagle/Tramp was a lot of fun as a 19' folding trimaran daysailer, but a bit small for six people weekending.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.