Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011

phoxie is on a distinguished road
So, where can you buy it besides Brewers?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
this is there own site:

Duct Cleaning, Vent Cleaning, Air Filters, Buffalo, Rochester - Commercial

I put 2oz in the bilge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
I got a free 2 oz jar of it in the grab bag from my marina. I too will try it in the bilge and let everyone know.
Old 06-03-2011

frank31 is on a distinguished road
I have had a 2oz jar open in my car door for a month. I don't notice it.
Old 06-03-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its interesting because one of are products is a natural tee tree oil mouthwash and the raw stuff smells like turpentine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank31 View Post
I have had a 2oz jar open in my car door for a month. I don't notice it.
I did something similar at home and did not notice anything. I suspect the high exchange of air reduces its effectiveness. In the bilge or cabin, while away, is probably much more concentrated and effective (if its effective at all). Jury is still out here. I will be back to the boat in a few hours, after she sat for the past four days. We'll see.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2011

My "believe it" meter is rising. We arrived today after being closed up for four days. The salon was better than usual but not enough to be certain it wasn't cooler temps, although it was very hot earlier in the week.

Then we opened the heads. I had a single one oz container in two of our three heads. I chose the two that are usually the most in need of airing out. One has the macerator outlet under the counter and is always the toughest, as I'm sure it's impossible to fully clean that line out.

I stuck my nose in the one head that did not have any Kanberra gel (the one that is usually in the best shape). It had the standard back drop of odor, not horrible, but notable until you run some fresh water any get it aired out. Then I went to the one that usually gets your attention after being closed up (the one with the macerator outlet). Practically no odor at all. I said nothing and just asked my wife to check them out. She said the bad one only smelled like stale air, no sewage at all.

This may be the real deal. They make a refill container and I may be leaving these full in the bilge and heads all season.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 07-10-2011

We are in full heat season now and the two small units I had in the heads are empty. I decided to go for it and get three 4 oz containers. I have three air handlers for the separate A/C units, so I opened one inside of each intake on Fri. On Sat night, we went out for several hours, which is usually just enough time for your nose to "de-acclimate" and you again notice the subtle boat smell when you return. We walked down the companionway and were pleasantly surprised. It was like walking in the front door of the house. No boat odor and just the slightest hint of the fragrance.

Its pricey, but the larger containers last for two to three months and they sell refills now.

I can't say that it is actually killing bacteria, as it claims, but it feels better thinking it does than if you were just masking odors.

We will be closed up and away for three days and are anxious to see what it is like when we return. We have the A/C units on dehumidify when away, which only runs a few times per day, so we'll see if that is enough.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 07-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I just ordered some. Would be nice to get rid of head smells. On a more entertaining note about smells. I got to the boat Fri. afternoon as usual. Changed clothes into my swim trunks. Went about my buisness for the weekend departure. Everywhere I went something stunk. Mid day Sat. while installing a new battery combiner I go into my cargo pocket on my shorts for my knife and pull out a dead clam from last weekends claming. Source of smell found!
Jim
Old 07-11-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Lmao