Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
SailaroundtheKeys,
See my message to you. Tread very carefully.

To users ...

SATK has been warned that his spruiking of this product is out of line and that further action will be taken if he does not provide a plausable explanation. In the meantime I suggest taking anything he/she says with a grain of salt.
jeffgauvin likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012

banjolove is on a distinguished road
Online Promotion

I came here after doing a search on Kanberra Gel; I bought the 2oz at the boat show today. I'm extremely critical of online reviews and don't put much stock in them. How does anyone know which products are best, or even work, without trying them ourselves or talking to a good real-life friend who has? If sailaroundthekeys were a little smarter he might have hid his info a little better or paid a senior member of this forum to promote his product. I'm not saying that I think that happens often, I'm just saying that You Never Really Know when it comes to online reviews. After reading this thread, I'm feeling good about my purchase, but the only real reviews are by Minnewaska and I wish more people had responded.

This is a hard product to review though; sure, it cleans up odors, but does it kill mold? I think the only way to test that is for several people to put them in chronically moldy areas of their boat and report back here. I wonder how much better this is compared to diluting tea tree oil and just spraying it around the boat every now and then.

Last edited by banjolove; 02-04-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: adding on.
Old 02-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
As previously reported in this thread, we have used the Gel through last years boating season and liked the results in terms of boat odors and smell. That was good enough for me to continue to purchase the product. As far as mold claims, I have no information. I have nothing to do with the company, just a user of the product.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If some gel (or liquid, or whatever) is killing mold simply by releasing something into the air, I would be more than little concerned about what I (and my family) might be inhaling.

Think about it for a moment. Molds, and fungi in general, are pretty tough. They often live in very challenging environments, and are resistant to many conditions and substances which normally kill just about anything else. That is why molds can be so difficult to completely exterminate. Sure, wiping a moldy surface down with a bit of bleach will do them in, but that would be equivalent to one of us swimming in bleach.

So, if something is toxic enough for its vapors to kill off mold, I would suspect that those same vapors wouldn't do humans much good either (promotional claims/promises/half-truths notwithstanding). My bet is that this stuff either doesn't do a whole lot (other than smell nice), OR it does "work" and isn't very good for us to breathe.
smurphny likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I used it all season and definitely noticed a difference. This winter, I bought refills and placed them all around the boat with the covers off. They began to evaporate, but stopped when they froze. I was aboard this past week and approx half is left since early November. In season they would be gone by now. My hope is that when they defrost, they will reactivate just as the boat needs them again.

When I was aboard last week, there were zero odors. The winter is usually fairly odor free anyway, but not quite zero.

I don't have a visible mold problem, but certainly used to get that moldy bilge odor that we've all just convinced ourselves is "boaty". I've knocked it down to the point that any trace gets my attention. I even put a dab of silicon on a rib above the bilge and glued a container to it.

When aboard, I don't notice odor at all. I do, however, pick it up in clothing that I bring home, but have to bury my nose in them to check. That's a huge difference. We've all become accustom to clothing left on the boat that can't really be worn in public...... I left clothes aboard all season.

As far as breathing it, my intuition is that tree oil isn't bad for you. Mold is. Breathing mold is a known health hazard. Is it being killed? I don't really know. But I do not notice the odor of the gel either.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-04-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Vinegar kills mold, but leaves buildings and people in place.
Old 02-04-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Vinegar kills mold, but leaves buildings and people in place.
Sure, if you apply it directly to the mold. Even then, it's mostly a mechanical cleaning action, rather than a chemical one. Not if you just open a bottle of vinegar and let the fumes do the "work".
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 02-04-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Funny I went down to the boat today to check on her as she is wintering in the water (slip) with her winter cover on. Absolutely no boat smell and llike Minnie notice no orders at all. I will say the stuff works and if nothing else absorbs the smell. we never had a mold problem. But had the normal smell. Now thats gone

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2012
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Chef2sail & Minnewaska,

What size tub are you using, and how long does it last? I had the 2oz, and never really paid attention to how fast it evaporated. I was hoping someone knows better how fast it goes.
Old 02-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
2oz in the heads. 4oz in each air conditioning air handler and a couple more distributed around. I took them out of the AC units for the winter. In season they last about two months. They claim the oils will have impregnated the boat and last another month or two, but I find that to be a stretch. Refills are less expensive.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.