Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Kanberra gel

We stopped shrinkwrapping our boat and installed a solar vent because of the mold. Vent helps tremendously. When we did have mold I wiped everything with a diluted bleach and water solution (VERY diluted) and it was fine after that.

I plan to try the Kanberra this season because I've heard it's works wonders on odors. I don't think it prevents mold, just odors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I loaded up the cabin over the winter, no mold, no odor this spring. It does claim to kill mold and bacteria, IIRC. It evaporates and supposedly penetrates the pores of wood, plastics, whatever.

I suspect it is a better prophylactic than a remediator, but it may get to places you can't reach. For it to work, I find you need to keep things closed up so the evaporated tea tree oils get around. The growth may outpace it in that case.

I buy it directly from the manufacturer and am waiting for a Spring sale to load up for the summer.

Kanberra Gel - Nature's Activated Protection

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Shawn,

Yuk....I have used th Kanaberra since Minnie recommended a year ago with great results. The boat always smells fresh and clean ( no artifical smells when we open it up even after many days closed in the heat. I never have had a mold problem...not sure if the Gel helps that or not, but it couldnt hurt. The trick is to not make the boat a solarium or a petrie dish I thnk. I dont ever wrap her up too tight.

Problem with mold is it gets in places you cant wipe. Only sure fire way to rid yourself of it is to ionize the air I have heard and have it penetrate everything..

Sorry for this.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-20-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

When our boat arrived from San Diego a year and a half ago it was a moldy stinky mess. I added a solar vent and we have been using the Kanberra for about 9 months. I have a container in the foreward and aft cabins. No more mold and no more stink. I don't care what it costs. I will continue to use it.
Jim
Old 03-20-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Thanks folks, I will be getting some Kanberra, in the meantime I think I may hook up a dehumidifier?
Old 03-20-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

As you all know I'm a bit of a skeptic. But I'm ready to say the Kanberra gel works. I put two containers in my boat when I covered her this year. One in the center of the salon and a small one in the head.

It's the first time I've used the boat cover so I was concerned about mold/mildew because the solar fan isn't moving air around.

Every time I go to the boat I'm amazed at how she smells. The only mild odor is from the RV antifreeze.

The stuff isn't cheap but I'm a believer.
chef2sail likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-20-2012

Jim...I was also a skeptic...but Minniewaska convinced me with his endorsement and I have seen the light as well as the proof. One of the great things about the commradiere of Sailnet.

dave
JimMcGee likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-20-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
jim...i was also a skeptic...but minniewaska convinced me with his endorsement and i have seen the light as well as the proof. One of the great things about the commradiere of sailnet.

Dave
+1

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-20-2012

BTW I was able to order a 32 oz refill for $119 from marine discounters.com....comes in a pastry bag like device so easy to refill the original containers.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-21-2012

Quote:
I bought the 16 Oz of Purafy for $59 and got free shipping, then I refilled the 2 smaller containers on the boat and 1 in the house.-Sail.34away
Quote:
BTW I was able to order a 32 oz refill for $119 from marine discounters.com....comes in a pastry bag like device so easy to refill the original containers-chef2sail

I dont have a problem with the Kanaberra Gel smell and the Pur-A- FY-AIR cost exactly the same as what I paid for the Kanaberra. Since I have used the Kanaberra Gel and I am satisfied with it there is no reason for me to using it.

Also, and take this with a LARGE grain of or whole salt lick, the manuafacturer of the Kanaberra Gel says has stated that when independent tests ( whose ) are done that the evaporation rate of the other products are much greater than the Gel therfore you will replace it more quickly therefore it costs more....just saying. I would go back through the posts and read what the CEO of Kanaberra gel said in one of Minnewaskas posts.

Lastly, Just like many of the people here have vilianized Craig Smith ( possibly rightly so) for his posts concerning ROCNA as not beining on the up and up, It was obvious that one of the owners of the PURA-F-AIR-GEL was purposely deceptive in his postings here by not identifying himself and making it appear that he was just a sailor ( Sailnetter). Companies which deal unethically in one respect probably do in others.

Would be prudent to look at all the varibles here.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.