Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Kanberra gel

My Kanberra Gel came in today I ordered a 2 oz & 4 oz kit plus a 16 oz refill. I plan to put the 2 oz in the bilge and the 4 oz in the cabin.

Thankfully, I think we caught the mold before it got into everything. It seems it was mostly on the interior wood (teak), but just the exterior, the inside of cabinets, bilge, etc didn't seem to have any mold! The boat needed a good cleaning anyway. I replaced the batteries in the solar vents and have a had dehumidifier on board for the past week. I'll put the Kanberra on board and let it do its job.

Thanks all for the tips...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Kanberra gel

Sounds good. We use a 2 and 4 oz one also. 4 oz in the main salon...2 oz in the head. Keeping the dorade open and having the solor vent in the head help with air flow also.
When I went down and opened Haleakula up today all I got was a faint wiff of tree oils.
Havent had a stale smell since we got it and the cushions as well as our clothes dont smell "boaty" anymore. Never had the mold.

Good luck with it Shawn. Good to see your working on Windgesit

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I should soon be able to provide a subjective impression of my low buck Tea Tree Oil experiement.

After much effort, all my boat projects are finally successfully competed and I was able to start the tea tree oil experiment. This year for reasons unknown,our boat seemed to have a lot of mildew and/or mold in lots of areas.

We mixed a small bottle of tea tree oil ($6 at Wegman's) with water in a spray bottle using the ratio we found online. We used that in place of the normal products for out annual beginning of season cleaning wiping every reachable surface down with the concoction. Less assessable areas were spayed and left to dry.

Personally, while the scent of tea tree oil is strong, I don't find it unpleasant. A couple of weeks ago, I actually wiped down a few area's and my intial impression is that even this effort left the boat with very little boaty smell (and our older boat does usually smell boaty).

It will be very interesting to get the wifes impression next time we're at the boat.
Old 04-09-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Just received my Kanberra gel in the mail and am hoping to get over to the boat soon to try it out.

Old 04-15-2012

Ok, so as a refreseher for those that haven't read the whole thread the concensus is that Kanberra Gel is a worthwhile product and users are satisfied with the pricing considering the results.

Thing is, there are guys like me that balk at paying that much for essentially a Glade airfreshener with better ingedients.

So, I looked around the internet and found tea tree oil is commonly used as a cleaner to fight mold. To see if there was a cheaper way to achive the benefits the Kanberra users enjoy, I bought 2 small bottles of tea trea oil at my local grocer for $6/each and mixed water in a 28oz spray bottle and scrubbed the entire boat using it, then sprayed the bilges and storage areas that could not be reached and just let the product dry. (one bottle was mixed at a time and it took about a bottle and a half for our 36' boat.

After a week, my wife and I boarded the boat yesterday intent to see the results. What we agree on is that the boat smell is about 20% of what it was. Since our boat is older and was pretty "boaty" smelling we feel like its a vast improvement. I'm now moving on to "re-treating" old Glade stick ups with tea tree oil to see if we can get some more improvement and we'll continue to use the spray to wipe down surfaces.

Bottom line, if I was skeptical of the price of Kanberra before, I'd take a good deal more convincing now getting the results I got for one $12 treatment, but I do believe in the benefits of tea tree oil and am glad this thread brought the product to my attention.

For the benefit of other parsimonious sailors, I found the least expensive tea tree oil at the nearly ubiquitous Target store so it should be easy to find.
Old 04-15-2012

Glad it's working out for you. I will stick with the Kanaberra Gel. I know that it is principally tree oil also. Let me know how your results atr after a year and if they are sustainable. Then maybe I would consider switching

How are you keeping the tree oil out so the.vapors stay in the boat constantly so they can permeate the area you cannot spray and reach.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Glad it's working out for you. I will stick with the Kanaberra Gel. I know that it is principally tree oil also. Let me know how your results atr after a year and if they are sustainable. Then maybe I would consider switching

How are you keeping the tree oil out so the.vapors stay in the boat constantly so they can permeate the area you cannot spray and reach.
That may be the downfall of my technique.

I did soak a couple of old glade stick up disks with TTO in an attempt to keep the vapors going. My basic plan is just to use TTO every time we clean up the boat in hopes repeated use will be enough.

I doubt I'll remember to update a year from now but if you ping me, I'll be glad to give an update.
Old 04-15-2012

Mid...just keep me informed...I doubt I will rememebr in a year either

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 05-29-2012

jillmstar is on a distinguished road

I think we have all forgotten that the second ingredient in this product is Lemon oil, which is a natural killer of mold. Combine these two and you have an effective product. I am going to see if I can buy the lemon oil and combine it with tea tree oil in a bottle and use it to clean with and see what it does to my boat. Moonglider is 35 years old and we aquired her with 6 inches of water and mold everywhere. She still has a horrible smell inside the cabin. But hopefully after July when we rip out her insides and redo it, the smells will go away.