Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
How to stow a small sailboat onboard

Good morning all,

My daughter is enjoying sailing on her college sailing team and has asked if we could get a small sailboat this summer to use while we are at anchor. I was thinking about a sunfish or sailfish. This would give her some experience handling a small boat and would be fun for all of us.

My issue is how to stow this on our Beneteau 473. I sailed both sunfish and sailfish when I was in my teens and they seemed very small at the time. But in looking at them at the Annapolis Boat Show .. they are much bigger than I remembered.

I stow the inflatable between the dodger and mast and we have a baby stay that is foreward of the mast so the deck space is a bit limited.

Does anyone here have a way to haul around a small boat this size on your larger boat?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Hmm...That's a tricky situation if you're resolved to using a Sunfish/Sailfish and storing on deck. However, if you could easily tow or carry a sailing dinghy (Fatty Knees, Portland Pudgy, Walker Bay, etc.) on davits. I think you'd be better off with some something that is designed to travel because the rigs come apart and are easier to stow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Does it have to be a sailfish or sunfish??

There are a lot of small sailing dinghies that might be better suited to stowing aboard than those two. There are a few folding dinghy designs that have sail rigs. The K2 Stowaway, the Kontender, etc., are all possible designs, and take up far less space and are probably far lighter than either a sunfish or sailfish.

They also would serve as a decent tender to the mothership in a pinch, unlike the sunfish or sailfish, since they can be rowed or powered by a small outboard. Finally, they both use a standard marconi/bermudan sloop rig, which is more useful for the competitive sailor at her level, since most of the higher-end boats are sloop rigs, not lateen rigged, like the Sunfish or Sailfish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2010

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
Does not have to be a sunfish or sailfish. It looks like there are some other good options here that could fit the bill a lot better.
Old 11-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkenney View Post
Does not have to be a sunfish or sailfish. It looks like there are some other good options here that could fit the bill a lot better.
One other advantage of the K2 Stowaway and the Kontender is that it would also give your daughter her own dinghy to go around with, even if she didn't want to sail it....that is probably worth a fair bit to her as well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-29-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Here's a way to do it - Paul Allen's Tatoosh PHOTOS: Microsoft Co-Founder's Mega Yacht Goes On Sale (PICTURES)

Look at the pictures of Paul Allen's small boat Tatoosh. On the port side in davits is a 60 foot sailboat; on the stbd side - a 60 ft powerboat. I've seen it at St. Barts. It can be yours for about $160M. It comes with a helicopter and submarine as well. Don't feel bad for Mr Allen, the accidental Microsoft billionare, he has a new boat to replace it - Octopus -the world's largest privately owned yacht.
Old 11-29-2010
Telstar 28

I think he'd like to do this without incurring the debt of a third world country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald View Post
Here's a way to do it - Paul Allen's Tatoosh PHOTOS: Microsoft Co-Founder's Mega Yacht Goes On Sale (PICTURES)

Look at the pictures of Paul Allen's small boat Tatoosh. On the port side in davits is a 60 foot sailboat; on the stbd side - a 60 ft powerboat. I've seen it at St. Barts. It can be yours for about $160M. It comes with a helicopter and submarine as well. Don't feel bad for Mr Allen, the accidental Microsoft billionare, he has a new boat to replace it - Octopus -the world's largest privately owned yacht.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
something like this might work as they are collaspable w/their telescoping hull beams?

Windrider - Windrider 17

Windrider 10

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
There's also a triple nesting dinghy out there.

I love the idea of a nesting sailing dinghy. Moreso because our 11'6" Achellies RIB doesn't easily fit between the babystay and the windlass. It doesn't fit between the dodger and mast either.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

You obviously need a bigger boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
There's also a triple nesting dinghy out there.

I love the idea of a nesting sailing dinghy. Moreso because our 11'6" Achellies RIB doesn't easily fit between the babystay and the windlass. It doesn't fit between the dodger and mast either.

Regards,
Brad

Telstar 28
New England