What is the deepest depth you have anchored in and why? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Most boats here in Scotland carry several hundred feet of chain because there is a lot of seriously deep water.
Within 100 yards of my old mooring at about 30 feet the bottom used to drop off very quickly to over 500 feet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Curious why " there was no choice"...maybe you were adrift against a leeward reef? Maybe you were so tired you anchored and went below? All of the above? Details are half the fun here...could you be more specific Craig?
There are a couple of anchorages in the Pacific where the only place to anchor is in 100' plus depth. I'm guessing that is what Craig is talking about. Bora Bora maybe ?

Deepest I have ever anchored in is over 20metres (approx 65') in Cowan Creek NSW off Broken Bay. Reason to do so was overcrowding closer to shore and the need to get ashore. I was unbelievably thrilled when the windlass gave up the ghost as I started to haul back 35m chain, rope and anchor. Joy unbounded.

If 20 metres and the word Creek make you pause...Coal and Candle, Smiths and Cowan creeks are all mainly tidal offshoots of Broken Bay. Why Creeks ? I have no idea. During WWII, the US Navy kept a squadron of warships (cruiser I think was the biggest) anchored in this area.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-30-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
230' and I had to SCUBA dive the anchor to get it unstuck - neither tactic I recommend for anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanscapt View Post
230' and I had to SCUBA dive the anchor to get it unstuck - neither tactic I recommend for anyone.
If that was me it would be not so much anchoring as dangling the anchor over the side.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-30-2010

glassdad is on a distinguished road
125' Off Decanso Bay in Catalina Island. We had 30' chain and 250' of rope on a 25# danforth. This was in a Columbia 28. We had a 24 hour anchor watch. We did this a few times when we could not get a mooring in Avalon Harbor. It was not fun pulling up the anchor. That was my job, the young strong son.
Old 11-30-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
~100' is the deepest for me and it was something that we did intentionally on a calm night. When I worked commercially, we would regular anchor in Sommes Sound, ME in about 60-70' of water and outside of the mooring field in Isles of Shoals in about 50-70'. We anchored in Castine, ME once in a little over 80' of water to quickly run ashore. It was a rare night when we didn't have at least 30' of water under us at high tide.

The S/V Westward anchored on Stellwagen Bank two summers ago overnight. They said the noise of the whales made it difficult to sleep.
Old 11-30-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
The time I anchored in 40 feet or so of water was only a few weeks ago...I was nine miles out in the Gulf by myself and on a good weather window...enjoyed a nice quiet night at first...so much so that I had put a kind of bungee damper..theres a name for it...snubber..maybe that's it...on the anchor line like some people do at moorings. This was done to take the" yank" or slapback out of the 160 feet or so of anchor line/chain I had out that was making a bit of an uncomfortable motion in the 1-2 foot "seas".
Then..about 2 am...a sudden steady wind of about 15 knots came up off the land and lasted for about a half hour or so...this land breeze caught me a bit by surprise...but eventually equalized with the water temp but only after I had immediately got up and took off the bungee arrangement and tied off again as normal.

Last edited by souljour2000; 11-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
off subject but excellent hunting on south side of Tampa bay inlet
Old 11-30-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Exellent info in threads like this ! Thanks everyone
Old 12-01-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
40 feet. With 300 ft of rode and 30ft of chain, we could have gone deeper. The down side is that you have to eventually bring it up!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.