Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
West Marine/General Tether Caution

HI Everyone. We bought the WM (not made by them, of course) Tethers a while back very similar to this product:

WEST MARINE Standard Safety Tether at West Marine

Except with the Wichard clips on the Jackline side. For those who do not know (or those that do) they are not cheap (as in inexpensive). If you look closely, you will see that the lanyard for the PFD side is connected via a small ring. The point of this is that if you fall overboard, you can easily find the lanyard and pull (even when under strain) and it will release you from the boat versus drowning.

On BOTH of the tethers we have purchased, these have failed. The first, when pulling on the lanyard, the lanyard pulled off the ring and the ring stayed attached making it difficult to disconnect from the Tether. The second failed but the ring came off and the damn pin took off in the cockpit at night (but luckily we found it).

I am writing this caution because either incident could be a serious safety issue - especially the lanyard that did not come loose when pulled. I suspect that if that had happened while being dragged by the boat, a person could have drowned.

I am not dogging the product. It is heavy made and should be a part of every offshore sailors inventory. But please check and or replace the rings to something more sturdy that will take use. I am afraid that those of you that have this product or similar and do not use them much might not notice the failure until too late.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Brian, this is excellent information. The tethers on my boat came with the boat, and I do not know what brand. I have looked them over for other possible issues, wear, broken stitching, corrosion, etc, but never really looked at the rings for the shackle pull. You bet I will now.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
lubricating the pin will help prevent problems.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-30-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I believe those tethers have been recalled. I will try to find my recall notice.

I have an older tether from WM on which the rings were welded.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 11-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Some previous postings

Product Recalls Safety Tethers

PS Letter Prompts West Marine to Recall Safety Tether
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-30-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That's them... at least close. I never heard the recall.

However, my issue is that the rings fail because they are undersized and not really made to handle that type of load. A solid, welded ring would be the answer, as mentioned above.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-30-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
lubricating the pin will help prevent problems.
Hey Dog -

Lubricating the pin will not fix this problem. The action is smooth and believe me, that is one piece of equipment I keep nicely protected when not in use. The problem is the rings are undersized and really not the right use for that load.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-30-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

I correct myself. The recall mentioned in the PS is EXACTLY what my problem is. It is a ring malfunction.

Thanks Jack!!!! They're going back.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-30-2010

CruisingWolf88 is on a distinguished road
I worked for west marine for about five years. I'm in an out of the store from time to time now seeing as I still work in the boating industry, namely with sailboats. I know there was a mass recall of one of their particular brands of tethers. I've done a lot of single handed cruising on my boat and always use jack-lines and a tether but have been disappointed with the quality of some of the tethers out there, not to mention the price they cost. In regards to the Westmarine tether I would check with your local store, I'm almost positive it's been recalled, and if I missed that comment from someone above already stating so, I apologize for reposting it.

As for tethers though I got sick and tired of looking for a reliable one, so I made one myself using some rock climbing shackles I had and high strength double brade line. I spliced the two ends with the shackles and now have had the tether for almost 5 years, with no problems at all. I only did this because I've been splicing lines professionally, if you're not sure you can do a good job, get a local rigger to do it for you. Just some food for thought...

~Good sailing~
Old 11-30-2010

nodee is on a distinguished road
We have 5 of these - 4 singles and 1 double. 3 of the singles have been replaced under the recall. I have made 4 trips to WM to exchange the double and last single. They never have any doubles in stock and always promise to have them in next month. This has been going on since August.
Yesterday there were no tethers in stock at all. So may have to work this through the mail.
Kirk
L440 Ainulindale