Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Passages, Pics & Platitudes

I tried to start a thread like this back in May. BUT I don't think anyone was smart enough to figure out how to make it happen.

Then comes r1texas and the very cool app he showed me...EveryTrail! Ahm...he's another dude from Texas I might point out to those Easties couldn't work their GPSs!

Anyway, there is now a very easy, very cool way to share that very thing many of us newbs ask about all the time..."What route did you take from X to Y? And what was it like?"

So, this is the thread where I'd like to start collecting those routes and trip reports so that newbs can come here and see what SN sailors have done - and enjoy some of the yarns that go along with those trips.

I won't go into detail on the how-to's of EveryTrail but it's stupid simple to use. Either use the iPhone app they provide, or just upload a GPS export file, or upload directly from your Garmin.

Once that's done, you get the animated map you see below (r1texas' trip from Houston to Florida) - and you can add text telling the story, as well as pics along the way.

Then you just go down into the panel below right of your map and copy the code out of the "Flash map with photos for websites & blogs" window and post it here:

Gulf of Mexico - Houston to Florida

HERE'S A LINK TO R1TEXAS' THREAD ON THE TRIP

We can then see the route you took, and click on the link above the map to check out your pics and trip report.

Is this cool or what????

There are a few things I'm still trying to figure out (e.g. - how to convert speed to knots - I don't know if that is dependent on your GPS settings, or if EveryTrail can do it - and stuff like this).

So, if you've got gps data from your past passages, go over and upload it at EveryTrail. Or give me a shout and I'll help you out.

Now show us what you got!!!

(Thanks to r1texas for helping to start this thing off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-03-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Is this primarily for long-haul trips?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Is this primarily for long-haul trips?
It can be any trip as far as I'm concerned. Why make rules, right?

I've just been one of those newbs who has always wondered what a good route was from Houston to Florida, how long it took, what the scenery/seas were like, etc. Then along comes r1texas and BOOM!

This approach can give people like me all that information - for any passage in the world. I mean, how cool is that?

In the past guys CD, Valiente, CharlieCobra, Sequiter, etc. have put up descriptions and pics of their trips - but I always wondered what their route was. That would give me a sense of how to eventually make that trip myself and know what to expect.

But, I also think there's a lot of value in me knowing how to sail your boat from your marina to the nearest bar so when I come to the Chessie to sail with you, I can helm after you've fallen overboard and frozen to death. So get that trip up Bubble!

Old 12-03-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

You can do the same thing with SPOT Adventures:

Block Island Sailing Vacation - Sailing - Spot

Barry

Old 12-03-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
The reason I ask, is because it can also be useful for analyzing race course tracks.

You can say "Ah, at this point there was a wind shift and we should have tacked." or "We could have held this tack longer, because the water doesnt' shoal for a while yet."

But I didn't want to junk up the archives with a bunch of 'round the cans tracks without knowing the intent of the thread.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-03-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

You can do the same thing with SPOT Adventures:

Block Island Sailing Vacation - Sailing - Spot

Barry
Very cool Barry. Thanks! Can you embed the map here?

That 30 knot squall put your rail in the water dude! What's not to like?

Old 12-03-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
The reason I ask, is because it can also be useful for analyzing race course tracks.

You can say "Ah, at this point there was a wind shift and we should have tacked." or "We could have held this tack longer, because the water doesnt' shoal for a while yet."

But I didn't want to junk up the archives with a bunch of 'round the cans tracks without knowing the intent of the thread.
That's a good idea. Start a thread like this in the Racing forum and let's do it. Of course, the only course I typically race is the GR course - and there's no way in hell I'm ever going to catch Kriz until I get new sails.

PS - I think I'll start using EveryTrail for the GR race results. Really cool app.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2010

r1texas is on a distinguished road
Oanez: Gulf of Mexico crossing

Hi guys!!

As suggested by SmackDaddy I upgraded my trip in Everytrail and here is the link:

Oanez Gulf of Mexico crossing

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Houston, Texas<****** type="text/javascript" src="http://www.everytrail.com/trip/widgetimpression?trip_id=899043">
Old 12-03-2010
Last Man Standing

Sweet! Thanks r1.

Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-12-2011
Last Man Standing

I had forgotten about this thread - and how brilliant the idea was. So, here is the route for our return sail during the 2011 Race To The Border:

Gulf of Mexico: Galveston to South Padre Island (and return)

The duration was 37 hours on a single tack! We were sailing a Pacific Seacraft 37 Crealock Cutter.

And here is the full write up with pics along the way:

Big Freakin' Sails

Who else has a GPS route and pics to show off?