Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010

Dannyre is on a distinguished road
To me, it's just weird...

Some of the newer designed boats are coming out with sticks designed to be used with no back stay at all. I am sure they will work well, but to me, that's just plain weird....In heavy air I would be outright nerveous...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I get your point, however, many small boats have no back stays.
Old 12-04-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Freedom Yachts have NO STAYS AT ALL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on what you're using the boat for... for most people, the backstay-less rig that Hunter uses is fine, because they're mainly coastal cruising and daysailing in relatively good conditions...

I don't think I'd want to go offshore in the Southern Ocean with a lot of the new backstay-less rigs.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2010

Dannyre is on a distinguished road
I see all of your points, and it seems the Freedom was one of the originals, but it still seems weird, and if you are sailing in heavy wind and large seas, it would make me uncomfortable....but that's just me I guess....
Old 12-05-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It depends on what you're using the boat for... for most people, the backstay-less rig that Hunter uses is fine, because they're mainly coastal cruising and daysailing in relatively good conditions...

I don't think I'd want to go offshore in the Southern Ocean with a lot of the new backstay-less rigs.

I would hazzard a guess that 99% of the boats out there would ever see the Southern Ocean, so why build for the worst extreme. I can name several Hunter 49's, without a backstay, that are currently out cruising the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyre View Post
Some of the newer designed boats are coming out with sticks designed to be used with no back stay at all. I am sure they will work well, but to me, that's just plain weird....In heavy air I would be outright nerveous...
Here we go again.

Danny, the B&R rig has been discussed ad infinitum on many forums. They have been around for many years. They work. Do a search on B&R and you'll see all the fun. Hunter also had the Vision line that was keel stepped and no stays, same as the Freedom above.

Last edited by scottbr; 12-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Whether or not unstayed rigs or rigs without back stays are less than equal to fully stayed I cannot say but they seem to work in most conditions. Freedom 40s have crossed the Pacific without losing their rigs as have more than a couple of Hunters. Plenty of fully stayed rigs have been lost trying the same thing.

Would I want to take one into the Southern Ocean ? Probably not but then I have no plans at all of sailing into the Southern Ocean and I doubt there are very many cruising sailors who do. (Southern Ocean according to the International Hydrographic Organisation defines the Southern Ocean as being south of 60degrees, Australian and New Zealand reckon its 45-50 degrees. Either way it is one nasty horrible place to take a small cruising sailboat.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 12-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our boat has a Hunter-like swept spreader fractional rig, and since adding a roachier main we have gone to a dyneema backstay with a supporting whip to clear the sail in light breezes and DDW.

This allows the security/support of a backstay in the heavier going and a quick and easy way to avoid the leech of the main hanging up in light air tacks and gybes.

I think the BIG plus for properly engineered unstayed rigs is that they are meant to stand on their own, so there's none of that reliance on standing rigging (the failure of which, one way or another, must be the leading cause of mast breakages). However the downsides (windage, reduced sail shape control, marginalized headsails if any at all) would, for me, negate them for coastal cruising

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-05-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

There is also a lot of engineering ignorance out there, the larger Hunters are perfectly capable of going offshore in the southern oceans, yet people like you poo poo them because you don't understand how they are engineered.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 12-05-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
At least if you do lose a Freedom-type rig you don't have the panic of having to cut all the stays off before the rig trashes the hull.

But then again, it also limits the chances of salvaging the makings of a jury rig.

Pros and cons to everything.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke