Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010

weephee is on a distinguished road
Canadian Sailor Gunned Down in Honduras

Canadian gunned down in Honduras was avid sailor
Published On Sat Dec 4 2010Email Print Share9Rss Article
Photos (3) Comments (4)

Christine Dobby
Staff Reporter

The daughter of an Ontario yachtsman murdered by bandits off the coast of Honduras survived the attack and is safe in nearby Belize, a relative says.

Myda Egrmajer saw a gang of thieves shoot her father, Milan Egrmajer, 55, as they were moored in a remote lagoon Thursday night, where they had sought shelter from bad weather out on the open seas.

Myda, 24, and her semi-retired engineer father had been travelling the region on his 35-foot yacht, the Adena, said her uncle, Kelly Wilson.

Wilson, reached by phone at his home in Mahone Bay, N.S., said his niece was later picked up by a passing yacht from Australia.

“She's physically okay,” Wilson said, adding she is now in Belize.

How she escaped the attack is still a mystery to the local investigators.

Leonel Sauceda of the Honduran Public Security department said the Adena was moored at a lagoon called El Diamanté, known to boaters in the area as a place to overnight. Sometime around 9 p.m. Thursday, a small boat apparently arrived at the lagoon, Sauceda said.

It's not clear what unfolded next, but Milan Egrmajer's body was found on the boat by authorities on Friday. His body had four bullet wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Sauceda said there is no clear information on how Myda got away.

Her cousin Eric van Riesen told CTV that Milan Egrmajer had a satellite phone on the boat, and “he sent about half a dozen 911 distress calls in those last hours,” which alerted local authorities.

An online report by La Prensa, the largest daily newspaper in Honduras, said Myda called for help after her father was killed and then she called Canadian authorities.

Her aunt, Merrillynn Wilson, speaking from Mahone Bay, told Canadian media she had heard that Myda “set off a flare and scared the pirates off” but acknowledged the family wasn't sure of any details.

The deadly attack occurred near the port of Tela, about 320 kilometres north of the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa.

Egrmajer started his “seabbatical,” as he called it, in July 2008 on Lake Ontario.

He planned to sail indefinitely, while operating his company, Egrmajer Consulting Inc., from his boat.

Kelly Wilson said he had helped Egrmajer sail his yacht part of the way down to Central America.

Myda Egrmajer, who Wilson said has a degree from Trent University in Peterborough, and lives in Ontario, had gone down to join her father for a few months.

Egrmajer maintained a website documenting his sailing trip aboard the Adena.

With files from The Canadian Press

Last edited by tdw; 12-05-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: edited out advertising links
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
This is very saddening.

My wife, who I try to keep away from these stories as she is already apprehensive enough, brought this to my attention.

We looked through Milan's blog (the sailing adventures of sv ADENA) and thought what a shame.

On the other hand, we had a friend pass away last week. He had an aneurism brought on by shoveling snow off his driveway. If Milan had stayed home he would not have enjoyed the adventure that he did - as evidenced by his beautiful photographs - and may have succumbed to a less dramatic, but equally fatal event.

My condolences to his daughter, his family and his friends, of which he appears to have many.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-05-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
This is really sad. I guess its getting to the point now where sailors too have to carry firearms onboard??? Was Milan someone who was part of these forums?
Old 12-05-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I'll be interested in hearing the details, and seeing this investigation unfold.