Need a gift idea for my dad who just bought a 42' Beneteau First.... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010

Enyar is on a distinguished road
Need a gift idea for my dad who just bought a 42' Beneteau First....

My Dad just bought a 42' Beneteau First he wants to use to cruise the Caribbean and for Atlantic crossings. I was trying to come up with gift ideas for him for Christmas and I was wondering if you all had suggestions for me. Do you all have anything that you really can't do without on your boat? Could be funny, useful, for safety, whatever! Preferably in the $10-$200 range. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Charts or things like sailing apperal would be a good start.( anything but a captins hat)
What is something he seems to need on land that he would need on the boat like a 12v coffee maker(I'd take one of those for Christmas) Or any other 12v item that he could use on the boat.

A few books or palm reader would also be a good thing, if hes not a reader he will become one soon.

Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A personal locator beacon says you care. SPOTs can be had for $150. Good ACRs are much more, but have no subscription.
Old 12-07-2010

Enyar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
Charts or things like sailing apperal would be a good start.( anything but a captins hat)
What is something he seems to need on land that he would need on the boat like a 12v coffee maker(I'd take one of those for Christmas) Or any other 12v item that he could use on the boat.

A few books or palm reader would also be a good thing, if hes not a reader he will become one soon.

Hope this helps

Charts are taken care of as he is a captain by trade. Any suggestions on a good 12v coffee maker? He loves his nice expresso machine at home but I wonder if something like that would require too much power/take too much room on the boat. I know he wouldnt use the common american coffee maker. Or maybe he would just use a stove top one.

Palm reader wouldn't last a day with this guy but thanks for the suggestion! He is an avid reader but he sticks with the good ol fashion book.

How much is an ACR?
Old 12-07-2010

boomvangdc is on a distinguished road
My husband and I like the stove-top espresso machines like this one: Bialetti 06799 Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker, 3 Cup..

I also second the SPOT idea. It's a nice way for family and friends to keep up with where he will be.

Is he a big music fan? A nice 12 volt iPod/iPhone charger/broadcaster would be nice.

Also some nice ideas here: NASailor 2010 Holiday Gift Guide for Sailors | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor. The waterproof camera case, multi-tool, or headlamp are all good. A lot of sailors have the last two already but it's nice to have spares when one invariably goes overboard.
Old 12-07-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
How much is an ACR?
Mid $400 range.
Old 12-07-2010

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
The Antique Sextant - R.M.S. Titanic, White Star Line Limited Release Serialized 4-inch Brass Sextant

Old 12-07-2010

Pretty, but just a paper weight. Not for nav.
Old 12-07-2010

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Cool

Doh...

This is one of the things I want to learn how to do one day, and if you are going across the Atlantic it would not be a bad idea to have and know how to use one...

Especially with all the missile technology available to take out satelites...

Try this one...

$188.95 The Mark 15 Sextant features a precision-machined slow travel gear and worm mechanism, along with an easy-to-read micrometer drum and vernier.
Availability: Usually ships within 24

Here is Davis mark 15 sextant on Craigslist like new for $100

Davis Mark 15 Sextant-Mark Davis

Don't know how accurate this one is, but it can be used both as a decorative as well as a navigational piece in case of an emergency...

Description:
Sextants were first used to assist ship navigation in the late 1700's. This beautiful sextant measures 8" across and comes and weighs 1.3 kg. It includes a movable radial arm, telescope, mirror, colored light filters, and handle. It is in working condition & can be used for navigational purposes.

Please note: this item is a fine reproduction.

This sextant will make an excellent display piece and would be the perfect gift for any maritime collector.

8 SEXTANT WORKING NEW NAUTICAL BRASS INSTRUMENT MARINE

sextant's and manuals

Last edited by JagsBch; 12-07-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hammock for the foredeck?

Sailboat Hammock

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse