Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010

KeltiC is on a distinguished road
charters??

Hi I am looking for a gift certificate for my boyfriend that will enable us to go aboard a sailboat for 1-3 days, depending on the price.
Does anyone know of any companies? I am getting tired of googling and not coming up with anything.
We live in the Vancouver area (BC/Canada). I am open to suggestions...but would rather depart from this area or the Sunshine Coast.
He has had such terrible luck with his own sailboats and thought he might actually like to sail and to enjoy it, rather than being towed!!

I wouldn't be looking at renting or chartering a boat ourselves but going with a company that takes people out. That way, I don't have to do anything and my boyfriend can, hopefully, do some actual sailing instead of trying to teach me.

By the way, this is an idea for a Christmas gift, so I'd need to know of some place asap.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by KeltiC; 12-09-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: want to add something
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if you dont want go too far ( the carb ) and would be happy with it try looking on the cheasepeak bay. lots of things to do for a few days, basicly days sails from one place to another.

just one i know of Chesapeake Bay Sailing Full Service Sailing Center In Baltimore MD Sailing Chesapeake Bay Sailing Programs but there are others
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What's your budget? That will determine what you can afford to do.

The fact that you want to have the company take you out on a boat, rather than renting or chartering the boat, yet want to be able to have your boyfriend sail the boat to some extent is kind of strange, since many companies that take people out on day charters with crew generally don't allow the passengers to sail the boat...and it might make more sense to find a sailing instructor with a boat that can take the two of you out.

However, the fact that you want to go along will make it more expensive, so I'd recommend you participate as much as possible if you do end up getting an instructor for a couple of days. A weekend learn-to-sail type course might be a good way to do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
.....A weekend learn-to-sail type course might be a good way to do this.
I think this is a good idea, as long as it doesn't come off as buying herself the present. I did this with my wife, who never learned how to sail, but I bought it for her and went with her. 10 days sailing in the Caribbean wasn't hard to take. We did three progressive courses back to back. I definitely learned a thing or two. In my case, I was really hoping she would take it up one day, so I would have been delighted if she thought of giving me this gift, even if it was predominantly for her. Again, the Caribbean might have made a difference.

Also beware that the instructor will probably get annoyed if your boyfriend tries to do some teaching while they are, so consider whether he is that type before you take lessons together. I was well behaved, because I learned this fact teaching scuba diving 25 years ago. It messes up the guided discovery process for the learning student when the skilled student blurts everything out or corrects everything their partner is doing wrong.

Still, if you have interest and think he would like the idea that you will learn more to enjoy his sport, this is a good idea.
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boyfriend has some sailing skills, getting an individualized instructor that might be able to go into more advanced sailing like flying a chute or such...that might be better than a "learn-to-sail" level course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think this is a good idea, as long as it doesn't come off as buying herself the present. I did this with my wife, who never learned how to sail, but I bought it for her and went with her. 10 days sailing in the Caribbean wasn't hard to take. We did three progressive courses back to back. I definitely learned a thing or two. In my case, I was really hoping she would take it up one day, so I would have been delighted if she thought of giving me this gift, even if it was predominantly for her. Again, the Caribbean might have made a difference.

Also beware that the instructor will probably get annoyed if your boyfriend tries to do some teaching while they are, so consider whether he is that type before you take lessons together. I was well behaved, because I learned this fact teaching scuba diving 25 years ago. It messes up the guided discovery process for the learning student when the skilled student blurts everything out or corrects everything their partner is doing wrong.

Still, if you have interest and think he would like the idea that you will learn more to enjoy his sport, this is a good idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Kelti.. have you tired the Cooper Boating center? They may offer week or weekend 'cruise and learn' type of programs. These are most often a full week costing around $700-1000, but since they obviously have access to qualified skippers they might arrange something shorter for you, esp off season.

There's also Bosun's and Island Charters on Vanc.Is.

Failing all of that shoot me a PM and we can arrange a day here and there just for fun. (and for free)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-09-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltiC View Post
We live in the Vancouver area (BC/Canada). I am open to suggestions...but would rather depart from this area or the Sunshine Coast.

She lives about 120 miles north of Seattle Washington in Canada on the left coast of North America. There is a big island there called Vancouver Island (not to be confused with a big city on the mainland called Vancouver, BC) again (not to be confused with another city 300 miles farther south just across the river from Portland Oregon called Vancouver Washington).

So, she wants to sail out of Vancouver BC, in Canada or from somewhere close on the Sunshine Coast of BC in Canada - see Map of the Sunshine Coast, British Columbia

So, the Carib or the Chesapeake is probably a bit far for them.

But, a sailing trip in the Bahamas would make a fantastic Christmas present!

Rik (who grew up out there on the left coast of Canada and now lives near the right coast of Canada just east of Maine)

Last edited by rikhall; 12-09-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Failing all of that shoot me a PM and we can arrange a day here and there just for fun. (and for free)
Wow - KeltiC, there's your Christmas present! Pick up some special food for dinner at Granville Island and have a great time with Faster!

Good on ya, Faster!

(And KeltiC, if you and your guy get out east in the summer - the same offer is open from Linda and me for some sailing here.)

Rik

Last edited by rikhall; 12-09-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2010

KeltiC is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, everyone!!
A sailing trip in the Caribbean would be wonderful, IF I won the lottery and could afford it!

My bf has sailed a lot before but due to unforeseen circumstances hasn't been able to much lately and when we have been out, things always seem to go wrong. He was teaching me but with all the boat issues, we didn't get very far. It seems to be one thing after another with his boats and I can only imagine how 'beaten up' he must feel.

I thought this gift idea might be a good one, not knowing if there was such a thing out there. I've emailed a couple of places but have not received replies as of yet.
I though of the two of us going together so that I could get a sense of the passion he feels for sailing (when things go right!!), while staying out of the way. The trip would be for HIM...and I'd just be along for the ride (and to observe)...not wanting to get in the way of HIS fun!

Faster: Your offer is very generous!!! And I thank you for that!!! I would not want to impose...but will check out the Cooper site and the other one's you mentioned. Hope you're doing well and that you had a great summer vacation!

Rik: Thanks for clearing up where I am located on the map : ) and your offer, following Faster's was also much appreciated. Who knows, we may make it back east, as he is originally from the Toronto area.

Thanks again everyone!!! Your comments, suggestions and offers are appreciated and helpful!!
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltiC View Post
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, everyone!!
A sailing trip in the Caribbean would be wonderful, IF I won the lottery and could afford it!

My bf has sailed a lot before but due to unforeseen circumstances hasn't been able to much lately and when we have been out, things always seem to go wrong. He was teaching me but with all the boat issues, we didn't get very far. It seems to be one thing after another with his boats and I can only imagine how 'beaten up' he must feel.
I really recommend that you don't learn from your significant other... that way lies madness most of the time.

Quote:
I thought this gift idea might be a good one, not knowing if there was such a thing out there. I've emailed a couple of places but have not received replies as of yet.
I though of the two of us going together so that I could get a sense of the passion he feels for sailing (when things go right!!), while staying out of the way. The trip would be for HIM...and I'd just be along for the ride (and to observe)...not wanting to get in the way of HIS fun!

Faster: Your offer is very generous!!! And I thank you for that!!! I would not want to impose...but will check out the Cooper site and the other one's you mentioned. Hope you're doing well and that you had a great summer vacation!

Rik: Thanks for clearing up where I am located on the map : ) and your offer, following Faster's was also much appreciated. Who knows, we may make it back east, as he is originally from the Toronto area.

Thanks again everyone!!! Your comments, suggestions and offers are appreciated and helpful!!
These two are good eggs, and if you get a chance to sail with either, I'd recommend you take it...

Telstar 28
New England