Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
What I'd like to do (but won't) is something along the lines of:

Well, I figured out a way to get you money, sort of. I have a cash advance limit on my credit card of $3,000 but owe a payment of $522 that's preventing me from accessing it. If you can get me the $522 to pay it off, I'll send you $3,022 to cover your costs.
Oh you're good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
We got the exact same (well, nearly) email about a month ago from a friend of my wife's in the Philippines. Same sad story. I alerted hotmail or yahoo or whoever it was that had the email account and they eventually came back and said they investigating. I later learned from the friend's sister that she had lost control of her email account. Someone had hacked her computer and taken control of the account.

Looks like the Nigerian banker scheme has become too widely known and they have moved on to other tricks.
Old 12-10-2010
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I am breaking my silence here for a moment to say sorry to everyone who received an email from "me" this morning.
My e-mail was hacked through the cootmail address I had established for Cardiac Paul which is NOW canceled. Please contact Paul via his facebook page instead. (Paul Reynolds).
They deleted ALL of my email contacts and inbox so I am not able to write anyone personally but if you DO have my old email address, please note that I am now the same name but at gmail dot com.
Again sorry for the trouble & thanks for your good wishes and Merry Christmas to all.

P.S. I am also reachable through PM here.
Old 12-10-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Knothead received an almost identical message allegedly from another SN member last year sometime... nearly word for word.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-10-2010

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened to my wifes account at yahoo. Her friends received the exact same e-mail. Fortunately everyone though to call her first so I don't think they got anything. Moral Yahoo accounts are under attact. Particularly if you have a common name or post E-mail publically, (like on this board). Use a long and complex password not containing any personal information like name, address, ssn, family members name, etc...This stuff can be obtained by a simple google search. Do use a hard password like IUHh*h*&^h32453. Avoid repeating numbers or letters mix caps and small letters and symbols, AND change password often. As an added precaution avoid keeping a long list of E-mail addresses in your account in case it is hacked, delete old E-mails especially any that contain personal information or passwords. Its a bad world out there be carefull. PS its best not to bait these guys, they are often members of organized crime, AND HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR.
Old 12-10-2010
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Another e-mail from him...

Quote:
Hello Dear,

What is going on???As soon as you back from thr western union outlet..

George.
I sent back

Quote:
I'm trying but you know Jackie! Just have a coffee and I will know what we can do soon.
He sent

Quote:
Chris,

okay..Just try and make it fast so that i can pay for the bills and get back to the state..

As soon as you send the money just get back to me with the western union Mtcn so that i can pick the money here..

Gorge.
I sent back

Quote:
How is Janet holding up?
And then

Quote:
Here is what is going on. The only place I can get that cash from is an advance from our credit card. We owe money on our credit card and until I make the monthly payment they will not let me take the cash advance. I’m trying to come up with the money to make the payment and I will let you know soon.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-10-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Cam!!!, ya old fart, nice to see you're still around.....

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-10-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Another e-mail from him...

I sent back

He sent

I sent back

And then
Heh-heh. This is hilarious.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-10-2010
I'd rather be sailing

I wonder if I spooked him by trying to scam him back. I just sent this to show my urgency level:

Quote:
Jackie is still working on figuring out a way to pay off the credit card quickly. She also said that she will need the address of the Western Union, and is wondering if she can use Paypal instead?
By the way - Jackie is a fictitious name.
Old 12-10-2010
I'd rather be sailing

Just got back...

Quote:
Chris,

All you need is my name and the location

Name: George & Janet xxxx

City: Buckingham shire.

Postal Code: HP11 2JZ

Amount:2,500 USD

As soon as you send the money get back to me with the details..Am going to the Bed now..

Waiting to Hear from you as soon as you send the money..

George.
And sent back...

Quote:
Are you staying at your hotel? Perhaps I can send the money there? You've really helped me out a lot and I hate to hear about what's going on. Call me from the hotel later. What about PayPal? And what am I supposed to tell jackie about the address?

Also, I think I know someone at the American Embassy there. I can contact them if you'd like.

Chris
My guess is I won't hear back until tomorrow when he can get back to the Internet cafe.