SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   URGENT: ***Beware: Fake Camaraderie E-mails*** (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/70546-urgent-%2A%2A%2Abeware-fake-camaraderie-e-mails%2A%2A%2A.html)

labatt 12-10-2010 10:11 AM

URGENT: ***Beware: Fake Camaraderie E-mails***

Well, I received this e-mail which I think is false in my messagebox this morning. I'm pretty sure it's fake as the reply-to address has two a's where there should only be one. I mistakenly replied to it this morning before I really checked it out and he came back and said to wire him $2,500 to help out - which is what made me look closer. Anyway, the fact that when I replied it went to the slightly altered address and I got a reply back is what tipped me off. Someone must have hacked his yahoo account and is pretending to be him using information from his mailbox.

Slight update: found the exact wording of the e-mail on this scam site:

Travel Scam Alert – Your friend was not mugged

Quote:

Hi,

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to (London,England), for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit cards and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We have been to the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves pretty soon from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. your contribution will go along way here. Please be so kind to reply back so i can tell you what to do and how to get some cash to us...

George & Janet xxxx (edit: was proper last name)
s/v Camaraderie
xxxxcaamaraderie@xxxx.com

Between the dream and the deed lie the doldrums - sail on!

labatt 12-10-2010 10:13 AM

Now that I have the hacker's attention, and have already (stupidly) made contact with him, how should I play with him?

Here's the response I had received back:

Quote:

Hello Chris,

I'm so glad to read from you am sorry i don't inform you about the trip all i need from you is unrgent help now becasue i need to get back to the state today,Thanks so much for your concern,Its been a terrible situation i find myself in ..I'm literally stranded out here and need your help to get back home.. I had my credit card canceled since i have lost it to the muggers. I need you to loan me some cash,I need 2,500 to get things fixed out here(settle my hotel bills and also get my ticket straightened out)so i can get back home,i will definitely refund the money back to you when i am back home, Your contribution will go a long way and i will surely show gratitude towards you when i am back home.You can have the money wired to me via Western Union.Have it wired to my name and present location, here are the details you need to have it wired to me..

Name: George & Janet xxxx (edit: was proper last name)

City: Buckingham shire.

Postal Code: HP11 2JZ

Amount:2,500 USD

I still have my passport here with me to claim the funds.Once you are done with the transfer at the western union e-mail me the Confirmation details(MTCN) for the pickup of funds.Thanks

George.

Cruisingdad 12-10-2010 10:31 AM

Wow! Thanks Chris! BTW, I replied to your post on your web site. Hope you guys are doing well.

Brian

smackdaddy 12-10-2010 11:24 AM

Heh-heh. So that's how Cam's paying for his RV trip! Pretty impressive that he got that thing all the way over to London. Is Giu writing his emails for him?

Actually, Knothead got one of these same email scams a few months ago.

labatt 12-10-2010 11:54 AM

By the way - I have contacted ic3 - the government Internet fraud group. I'm not expecting that I'll receive a quick response... in the meantime...

Quote:

Chris,

Our filght leave in the next few minte and just try and help.. so that i get back out this mess,What time are u going to be out of the office i will wait for you..Just let me know that time u will be out of the office...

I will wait for you so that you can send the money..And as soon as you back form the westrn union outlet get back to me with the western union MTCN Number so that we can pay for the bills and get back to the state..I promise to refund the money back to you...

George..

--- On Fri, 12/10/10, Chris Labatt-Simon <labatt@dandd.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: i know you live at xxxx
To: "'George xxx'" <xxxx@ccc.com>
Date: Friday, December 10, 2010, 3:53 PM
I can’t leave my office right away and don’t have access to a web browser. How long until your flight is supposed to leave? Have you tried contacting the American embassy?

Bene505 12-10-2010 11:55 AM

I say we get some guys together and bring him the money.. ..in person.

Regards,
Brad

labatt 12-10-2010 11:56 AM

CD - we're doing OK... sad to be putting Pelican away for a Winter after living on her for several years. Living in a house is no longer like living at home. I got your e-mail but been a bit crazy with work and such.

HDChopper 12-10-2010 11:57 AM

LOL got em on the hook , fire sale him (with code) on our next e-mail ought to ruin all his fake ID's....

labatt 12-10-2010 11:57 AM

What I'd like to do (but won't) is something along the lines of:

Well, I figured out a way to get you money, sort of. I have a cash advance limit on my credit card of $3,000 but owe a payment of $522 that's preventing me from accessing it. If you can get me the $522 to pay it off, I'll send you $3,022 to cover your costs.

HDChopper 12-10-2010 11:59 AM

LOL a rework of the drop....