Sailing journey timing question - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-10-2010
littlejohnw's Avatar
Theoretical Sailor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
littlejohnw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to littlejohnw Send a message via Skype™ to littlejohnw
Sailing journey timing question

I am trying to figure out approximately how long [total hours] it would take to sail a 31' Seafarer sloop (with Johnson 20 HP motor, outboard) from BARNEGAT, NJ, to Charleston, SC.
Using a map program that measures distances between points, I've the distance measured at approximately (using a combination of intercoastal waterway and offshore):
• 620 miles/539 nautical miles
• 206.23 (SA fore)
• 234 (SA/Main)
• TSA: 440.23
• Displacement: 8800
--- (don't know if other information is needed(?))
It is a heavy boat, and have been told it is slow, but I do not know that to be the case. Of course I cannot guess at wind conditions either....
I am looking for good estimates of total sailing/travel time based on your expertise. Thanks!
__________________
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: ... we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." O.W.H

s/v Estella
1963 Rhode's Meridian


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"... you got to tie yourself to the mast my friend and the storm will end..." coldplay

Last edited by littlejohnw; 12-10-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling grammatical
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 12-10-2010
Boasun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 3,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
With the unknowns of possible wind conditions and the average speed of your vessel... I would use the speed of five knots and plan on taking a day or two more in addition for possible delays of weax or whatevers.
540/5=108 hrs = 4.5 days. So figure about a full week or two pending on weax windows and whatevers.
__________________
1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 12-10-2010
Omatako's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 2,376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
With the unknowns of possible wind conditions and the average speed of your vessel... I would use the speed of five knots and plan on taking a day or two more in addition for possible delays of weax or whatevers.
540/5=108 hrs = 4.5 days. So figure about a full week or two pending on weax windows and whatevers.
Geez, jumping from 4.5 days to a possible 14? That's as good as saying "It'll take as long as it takes".

But I agree with 5 knots average speed unless the OP knows the boat to be incapable of that. A little weather planning to at least understand whether you'll be off the wind or beating will go a long way. Download some GRIBs or synoptic predictions and have a look.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 12-10-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 200
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
marianclaire is on a distinguished road
When do you plan to make the trip? Hrs of daylight and weather patterns make a difference. Single handed or crew? Anchoring out or stopping at marinas? South of Norfolk there wont be a whole lot of sailing but some motor sailing. On the ICW I use 35 to 40 statute miles a day as a base #. Thatís single handed, usually Nov or Feb/March, slow boat 5 MPH max average, bridges, tides, anchoring out every night, down days for weather included. I realize it can be done faster but this has been a safe # for me. Say 124 hrs of moving time. Itís up to you how you spread out the hrs. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 12-10-2010
souljour2000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 601
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I'd figure a little over 2 weeks ..maybe only 11-12 days if things go really well...this is solo and this is if the sea gods are in a good mood...afterall..it's probably a new boat you found on ebay right? If so..new boats especially new OLD boats...may have a few surprises in store...be careful and have fun...take a buddy if you can.

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-10-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 12-10-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
neoxaero is on a distinguished road
Just try not to be this guy...
Windtraveler: The Tale of the Panicked Mariner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 12-10-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,688
Thanks: 10
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
One delivery variable is whether you will have a minimum motor variable. In other words, is there a VMG that you won't go below before motoring or motor sailing. I've known that minimum to be 7 kts on boats that can make that and more under power. The often motor 50% or more of the time, as a result.

If you have all the time you need, this isn't an issue. If you're trying to get there, this is a common decision made before launch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 12-10-2010
tommays's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,227
Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 6
tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Geez, jumping from 4.5 days to a possible 14? That's as good as saying "It'll take as long as it takes".

But I agree with 5 knots average speed unless the OP knows the boat to be incapable of that. A little weather planning to at least understand whether you'll be off the wind or beating will go a long way. Download some GRIBs or synoptic predictions and have a look.

Well right now its (15 F -9 C) and windy as crap with good weather about one day out of 7 so bearing a weather miracle or your planing a future trip it could take a really long time
__________________
1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 12-10-2010
souljour2000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 601
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
In retrospect...I'd really have to figure on at least 3 weeks or so if I were gonna do it alone...anything less is just not rational given that it's winter and a new-to-you boat... personally I'd want a month...given the time of year again and the newness of everything...heck I'd probably take a month just to go over her systems first before you even leave port. There are probably a dozen very challenging short passages between Jersey and Charleston that don't involve the ICW...there's also a wreck or two in those areas...I have never done a trip up or down the east coast in a sailboat but there are alot of folks in here who have and can speak to the times and potential pitfalls of the journey far better than I could hope to.

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 12-10-2010
Omatako's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 2,376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
In retrospect...I'd really have to figure on at least 3 weeks or so if I were gonna do it alone...anything less is just not rational given that it's winter and a new-to-you boat... personally I'd want a month...given the time of year again and the newness of everything...heck I'd probably take a month just to go over her systems first before you even leave port. There are probably a dozen very challenging short passages between Jersey and Charleston that don't involve the ICW...there's also a wreck or two in those areas...I have never done a trip up or down the east coast in a sailboat but there are alot of folks in here who have and can speak to the times and potential pitfalls of the journey far better than I could hope to.
I'm not an especially good sailor by any standard and I sailed from San Diego to the Marquesas in 3 weeks (2900nm)!! In a boat that was new-to-me two weeks before I left. It's no wonder some folks never get to go sailing. Such doom-prophets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well right now its (15 F -9 C) and windy as crap with good weather about one day out of 7 so bearing a weather miracle or your planing a future trip it could take a really long time
If it's "windy as c**p" (sorry, I've been censored once today already) and it's going in the right direction . . . . . besides I don't believe the OP said he was leaving tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
When do you plan to make the trip? Hrs of daylight and weather patterns make a difference. Single handed or crew? Anchoring out or stopping at marinas? South of Norfolk there wont be a whole lot of sailing but some motor sailing. On the ICW I use 35 to 40 statute miles a day as a base #. Thatís single handed, usually Nov or Feb/March, slow boat 5 MPH max average, bridges, tides, anchoring out every night, down days for weather included.
My apologies, I never realised you guys only sail in the daylight hours (?). If you sail 24 hrs you should expect minimum 120nm per day not 35. Obviously there is something drastic about sailing around the North Carolina bump in the real sea that I know nothing of but with some decent weather planning . . . . . that stretch only represents 24 to maybe 30 hours of sailing on a good day.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timing the start mr31 Racing 2 02-01-2007 05:56 PM
Zimbabwe: Mandebvu Journey No Easy Sailing (AllAfrica.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-24-2007 09:15 AM
Mandebvu journey no easy sailing (The Herald) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-23-2007 05:15 PM
Journey home smooth sailing for most (MSNBC) NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-26-2006 07:15 PM
Jim Sharp shows 'A Sailing Journey to the Edge of Disaster' (Camden VillageSoup) NewsReader News Feeds 0 10-03-2006 03:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012