Ever considered "boat swapping" with someone in another country? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010

SierraCat is on a distinguished road
Ever considered "boat swapping" with someone in another country?

We own a 36' catamaran in SW Florida and since we both work, we don't have time to sail our cat around the world (yet!), so we've thought about taking a few weeks vacation in Greece, or maybe Sweden and bareboat chartering a similar size boat. Seems a little silly to pay for a charter when we have a boat sitting at home that we could "swap". There are several "swap sites" on the internet, which work much like home swapping. Has anyone every tried this? What were the results and would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Two Women Captains
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think house-swapping and boat-swapping are two very different scenarios.

Logical or not, most of we boaters have a much more personal/emotional connection to our boats than our homes. As such I believe we are much more protective of our floating assets, so to speak.

It would be difficult for me to 'lend' my boat to someone I didn't know. And how can the other person truly know if I'm competent to take his/her boat in kind?

In theory it should be workable, and perhaps often works out, but I'll bet there are a lot of horror stories on this topic too... it'll be interesting to see what comes up here in this thread....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2010

SierraCat is on a distinguished road
I agree that we all have the emotional connection with our boats and we keep ours in pristine condition- having a total love affair with our boat :-). But it wouldn't be like chartering out your boat as you'd only do this one or two times a year for a nice vacation. Apparently you make a connection with the other party interested in swapping and establish a sort-of friendship with them prior to making the vacation arrangements. And you're always free to be selective. I think it's an interesting concept and would love to hear from anyone who has actually done this.
Old 12-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that there are huge differences between house-swapping and boat swapping. People borrowing a house can't generally run it aground or sink it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-11-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Boat swap Yikes. I'd wife swap before I'd do that...at least she can look out for herself. They might hurt my boat.
Old 12-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Boat swap Yikes. I'd wife swap before I'd do that...at least she can look out for herself. They might hurt my boat.
I hope your wife doesn't read this...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2010

colasailormom is on a distinguished road
I'm with you!

Ya know, life is short and unless you're fairly wealthy, traveling to foreign destinations and THEN chartering a boat can get costly. My thoughts are...if you can actually make contact with someone in another country who wants to do the same thing you do (swap boats) with whom you can communicate with, it's worth exploring. Posters are correct that we have very emotional connections to our vessels, however, I'm not too emotionally connected that I wouldn't look into a boat swap for an amazing opportunity (ie, sailing Greece or Turkey!). Our boat is in Charleston which is known for swift currents which often makes docking a real challenge, however, we'd make arrangements to have "swappers" dock at the breakwater in order to have a smooth landing. I say definitely look into it...and my husband agrees! Let us know when you want to come to Charleston for a stay! We'll swap!
Old 12-23-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I would swap with the right people. Charleston sound like fun too!! (My insurance covers occasional use by another sailor.) Merkel insurance.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 12-23-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
I think this is a good idea. Of course this does not apply to everyone. I don't emotional attached any toys I own. We are grown up, make your decision who would you like to swap and have fun.

I would love to swap with others in Europe or Australia, Fuji etc. They can come to US and I can show them around and leave them alone for weeks. When i get their side, they do the same thing. I don't see the risk.

But that's just me. i am sure there are many like me.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.