Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
It's a good thing....

that I have Sailnet, AS, my sailing books, etc.. as we got 17.1" of snow yesterday and the temp is going to get up to a balmy 6 today with windchills around -25 as it is blowing nicely too.... Though I will be forced to watch the Packer game instead of the Vikes & Giants as the Giants are still in Kansas City as our airport was closed yesterday and now the Metrodome's roof has also deflated & colapsed. Still working that little issue out. I just keep telling myself, only 4 more months....

Not complainin', just sayin'....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ouch, dude, you have my deepest sympathies. With weather that cold, I bet even Favre will keep his junk in his pants!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-12-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
smack ---- you live in the tropics. up here in duluth on the western end of lake superior (150 miles north of minneapolis) it is colder. tonight i think it will be 20 below zero with a wind chill of -45 or -50. we didn't get any of the snow this time, which i was happy about. yesterday i broke up the hard snow with a shovel & then was able to use the snow blower to clean it out by the boat. i put the ladder up under the cover & was able to crawl under the cover on my hands & knees and push up with my back to break up the hard snow. then i measured the rudder shaft . 2" solid stainless. I need a new tiller 2 1/8 " wide at the but. i also measured the solar vent opening . i am going to get a new nicro ss solar powered vent. then i put the ladder on the outside & shoveled off the snow, so i was glad we didn't get any more.
Old 12-12-2010
Lake Sailor

CaptBill - You do have it colder up there and usually you get that nice lake effect snow.... So glad my son & I cleared the driveway last night instead of waiting until today. Though the plow came through again this morning and put a nice foot or so across the entrance so I will be heading back out. 4WD is a good thing too...

Old 12-12-2010
Lake Sailor

This is up on youtube now, Fox had cameras rolling inside the dome when the roof came down...

Video

Old 12-12-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
I feel for you guys , thats the reason I left Pontiac Mich. My first winter there I tried to heat the house with wood ended up burning the furniture LOL needless to say next day I went out and got a #1 fuel oil stove winter of 84 IIRC...

Really nice here today but in Phoenix Az. now ...
Old 12-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
smack ---- you live in the tropics. up here in duluth on the western end of lake superior (150 miles north of minneapolis) it is colder. tonight i think it will be 20 below zero with a wind chill of -45 or -50. we didn't get any of the snow this time, which i was happy about. yesterday i broke up the hard snow with a shovel & then was able to use the snow blower to clean it out by the boat. i put the ladder up under the cover & was able to crawl under the cover on my hands & knees and push up with my back to break up the hard snow. then i measured the rudder shaft . 2" solid stainless. I need a new tiller 2 1/8 " wide at the but. i also measured the solar vent opening . i am going to get a new nicro ss solar powered vent. then i put the ladder on the outside & shoveled off the snow, so i was glad we didn't get any more.
I think we have some room left in Texas. You guys really need to head south. You're killin' me here.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-12-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
smack ---- you live in the tropics. up here in duluth on the western end of lake superior (150 miles north of minneapolis) it is colder. tonight i think it will be 20 below zero with a wind chill of -45 or -50...
OMG, and we're talking about moving south because NJ is too cold!

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 12-12-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I've said it before - I cannot comprehend what real cold is - (& its not on the bucket list)

Good luck to you. The coldest night we've had for months is about 22 celsius

Mind you, the weather's been to crappy to go for a quiet, dry sail so its frustrating all teh same.

Old 12-12-2010
Lake Sailor

Just came in from running the snowblower, again. This time so there is a path from my driveway to the front door, which I now can open. Also, the mailman can now get to my mailbox. Only the deck, patio and the taunting hot tub to dig out. That can wait though.... I think I have earned a beer or teen.