Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
Need local vendor recommendations from Ontario people..

In a massive push to eliminate my debt, one of the things I did was forego credit cards. While in a few instances it's a mild inconvenience, being completely and utterly debt free has made it more than worth it.

A side effect though is not being able to order parts and such online, which is where the question comes in.. I'm in Toronto, and don't mind driving in the GTA and a little beyond to pick up parts I need. What are some good vendors that you guys use locally? Primarily, I'm looking for:

-hardware (travellers, blocks, sheaves, anchors, etc),
-electronics (VHF, sounders, knotmeters, etc)
-quality fastners (Home Depot et al don't cut it)
-rigging - standing, running, tuning
-mast parts (specifically spreaders)
-welders, machinists
-good sail lofts (more for sail maintenance than new purchase)
-hardwood supplies (teak, mahogany, marine and high grade exterior ply - again, the big box hardware stores don't cut it)

-Also of interest are local used or consignment chandleries..

Basically anything and everything boat related.. I've got a great local supplier for fiberglass and epoxy products, so that's covered. For the first two on the list, I know of Binnacle in Ottawa, Pride Marine, Fogh, and Mason's Chandelry. I have a contact that may be able to hook me up on the wood side. Any others?

I know there's a West Marine downtown, but we all know how reasonable those prices are I also know I'm probably going to end up paying a little more than ordering through, say, Defender, but I'm also all about building up the personal relationships that only comes with local shopping. For the standing rigging, I know there's a service in the states that absolutely stellar (can't remember the name off hand, but it's in my links) so I may suck it up and get it put on the girlfriend's CC, but I'd rather avoid that.

One of my primary reasons for going to the boat show in January is to size up what's around, but nothing beats a recommendation from a satisfied customer
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Holland Marine Products

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Can't help with the Ontario-based vendors, but the rigging company you're thinking of is probably RiggingOnly.com which is based in fairhaven, Mass., and about 10 minutes from my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

Thanks Dog.. yeah, that's the one. Heard nothing but good things from them so odds are I'll bite the bullet on that one.

QuickMick - have you actually heard of them or know someone that uses them or did you just google Chandleries in Ontario? Thanks for the link though, I missed that one on my searches At the very least it's another place to compare prices too.
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 12-13-2010

ive used them cause the stock a lot of grampian parts--so ive used them but only ordered stuff. you can get a free catalog cd if you want too.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-13-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

Awesome! Thanks QM! Didn't mean to get snarky with you btw.. just seemed a long way from Texas
Hull #37

Old 12-13-2010

TC, you know why all Canadians do it doggie style?
So they can both watch the hockey game...

no worries, didnt think you were being snarky at all....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture