Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010
Fireriders

Cottonmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cottonmouth
Pearson Wanderer Centerboard Cable

Need to replace mine. Anyone have an idea of the length and size of the cable I need. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend you post over on the Pearson Owners website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-18-2010
Fireriders

Thanks

did just that and waiting for a reply.
Old 12-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good enuf... keep us posted since that might help a future Wanderer owner.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-20-2010
Fireriders

No replies yet

Not heard a peep from any pearson wanderer owners on the Peason site. Will continue to research on my own. There is a small piece of cable still visible and if I can get it out I will know what size to order. Will without a doubt go with stainless the rotted one is not stainless. Thanks and if I hear anything or approach it on my own will keep you all updated. Maybe even photo as I go and post it.
Old 01-03-2011

keyman17 is on a distinguished road
centerboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
Not heard a peep from any pearson wanderer owners on the Peason site. Will continue to research on my own. There is a small piece of cable still visible and if I can get it out I will know what size to order. Will without a doubt go with stainless the rotted one is not stainless. Thanks and if I hear anything or approach it on my own will keep you all updated. Maybe even photo as I go and post it.
Have you had any luck getting info about this? I replaced my Wanderer's cable in '08, so I might be able to help.
Old 01-06-2011

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
I don't know the length of my cable but have changed it.

twice now. I don't know if this will help but until you get other info,..

I have a longer than needed cable cut and have the rigger fix an eye on one end. That connects to the lifting screw on the cabin top.

With the boat in the travel lift slings in the yard, we drop the board to the full depth(visible by growth, wear, can be marked too), then fix the board there with blocking on the ground. (at this depth in the slings).

Next we snip the cable at the nicro press loop and thimble that attaches to the fitting on the board in the photo, 2 rivets and bronze plates.

Disconnecting the other end at the lifting screw on the cabintop, we pull the old cable up through the centerboard trunk and piping chase to the screw.

Next, we feed, in the reverse direction, the oversized cable from inside the cabin until it comes out the slot below. Then we bolt the new eye on the lifting screw and leave the screw to it's lowest depth/setting in the cabin.

Then it's a matter of putting then new thimble on the board connection, running the cable around it and a new nicro press, get it set to the right height, and clamp.

Having done it a couple times, it goes quickly, 10-15 minutes or so.

You boats linkage will be entirely different but you may be able to do something similar if you can't get an exact measurement.
Old 01-07-2011
Fireriders

Thanks for the help and replies. Will do the repair in the spring if it ever stops snowing around here for crying out loud! lol
Old 01-11-2011

keyman17 is on a distinguished road
Pearson Wanderer cable

In 09 (not '08) I replaced my cb cable for the first time. In the water. I had nothing to pull the new cable through with, so I got some cheap wire cable from the hardware store, duct taped the end tapered, and it just shoved right through the entire pathway. This cable was slightly oversized for stiffness.

Next, I generously taped the upper end of this cable to some high tech rope ( might have been stay set) and pulled that through. I tied just a bowline around a thimble and bolted it to the cb. Attaching the upper end required removing the end cap of the roller and using a stopper knot where it passed through the hole in the drum.

I hope to replace it again this year when it gets a little warmer. Other than having to keep the cb trunk clear of barnacles, I've had no problem with the rope cable.

On a related topic, I learned recently that if a cb cable ever breaks on you, it can be wedged up with almost any wood. Wooden clothes pins work great. No need to use a rope bridle tied to the deck to hold it up. What a neat discovery.
Old 01-12-2011
Fireriders

Thanks for the response if it ever stops snowing here I will start the project

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.