Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Damn...-14C...now thats serious chill

Dawg, One way trip over? Wish I could have the free time from my job like you have. My wife would give me a hard time me taking off on expeditions for weeks at a time with responsibilites like home, kids and job.

I am envious and will have to live vicariously through you till I retire in a few years.

Good planning to have a plan B and C. this time. I have always checked the Captain out also with refernces when I have done what you are doing, as no need for a carzy man/ woman.

You have a 37 Jenneau on the Chesapeake correct?. Where do you keep her?

Keep posting..**:**)
Hahah... I am NOT so sure. Grass is always greener on the other side. You are doing good yourself, a boat, good kids, and the wife to put you out of the trouble .

I do have lot of freedom at work since I am the boss. But being a boss comes with a lot more responsible and heartache. My kids are pretty much out of the house. My son is the younger one who has one more semester to graduation. I was lucky he goes to the State University, so his tuition is dirt cheap. We weren't so lucky for my daughter education. Her 4 year BS degree and 1 year MS cost us just about half the cost of a brand new HR42.

Sorry, if I have misled you or others, I don't own a Jeanneau OS 37, can't afford the time and money now. I sail the jeanneau in the Bay, it is a time share boat. I will do this for another year (2011). I will start looking for a boat to sail away to the distant shore.

BTW, the Jeanneau is still in the water at Annapolis landing marina. they will haul her out in next May for a good washing before give her us.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2010

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
you NEED the dodge guide to abaco. excellent waypoints, and other good info...

probably available at blue water books in ft lauderdale (off 17th street). a long walk from lake sylvia.

White Sound Press
Old 12-20-2010

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
also might want to ask questions here:
Abaco Forum Home Page

a good source of info...
Old 12-20-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftldiver View Post

probably available at blue water books in ft lauderdale (off 17th street). a long walk from lake sylvia.

White Sound Press
Take the dink along 17th St Causeway (first cut north of the bridge) to Southport Raw Bar. Tie up dink. Short walk to Bluewater, Publix. Winn_Dixie and Total Wines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Update:

Checking flight to West Palm Beach from Philly is not a problem even if I book on the same day travel, less than $145. Now here is the shocker, the flight from Marsh Harbor to FLL is $400. This is absurd. Are there ferries to Mainland or to Nassau that I can hop on.

I wonder if I can catch one of those cargo ships carrying supplies or any SV that is heading back to U.S.

Suggestions? Bite the bullet and pay

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-21-2010

Yado is on a distinguished road
The Passage

In addition to the excellent info posted already, I found another site that details how to make this short passage. It's worth checking out:

Edited posting:
I dropped everything i was doing this morning to prove my loyalty to a fellow sailneter, to give credit where credit is due, to right a wrong! Actually, I was drinking my 27th cup of coffee, reading sail sites and ignoring my wife who was going on about how thrilled she is that I started taking salsa dance lessons with her...........what else are we going to do in Cuba?

I posted a link to a Bahamas crossing online article that was stolen from a posting written by our very own sailneter, Camaradarie.
I've deleted the original link and here is the link to the cruiserswiki article written by Camaraderie, and worth reading:

Passage Abacos1 - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Last edited by Yado; 12-22-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
rockDog -

If I understand correctly, you will be crew on a captained boat? If so, would you need to verify that the captain has the same ideas about when and where to cross?
Old 12-23-2010
with Robin Lee dreams

coreywoodworking is on a distinguished road
Bahamas / Caribbean: Is chain required?

Bahamas anchoring: Since there are knowledgeable sailors replying, I hope to get to there in about two years, but am modifying my anchor locker this winter (deeper, much stronger, bigger cleats with backing plates, anchor platform, possibly a vertical rope/chain windlass) and want to know if nylon rode will survive or if I must have chain in the Bahamas, Abacos and Caribbean.

Also, carrying a 25 Bruce, 25 CQR, 22 Spade. Are these the right choices for sand and coral heads for a 28' sailboat / 7200 displacement that sails on the mooring?

Have four good rodes totalling 600 ft, and would prefer to avoid both the cost and weight of chain, but will listen to those who have gone before me...
Old 12-26-2010

skipgundlach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreywoodworking View Post
Bahamas anchoring:

(clip)

Also, carrying a 25 Bruce, 25 CQR, 22 Spade. Are these the right choices for sand and coral heads for a 28' sailboat / 7200 displacement that sails on the mooring?

Have four good rodes totalling 600 ft, and would prefer to avoid both the cost and weight of chain, but will listen to those who have gone before me...
If you're going to be in coral, it will destroy your rope in a heartbeat. All chain other than a snubber which will never reach the coral is the answer.

Spade is great in the Bahamas, Bruce more in hard stuff (too easy to plow right through in sand) and CQR acceptable. Sounds like you have enough weight-to-anchor ratio, but at least one grade heavier is comforting in the blows which frequent the area...

HTH

L8R

Skip
Old 12-26-2010
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road
I leave my boat at Hopetown for up to a month at times, it's a $20 ferry ride from Marsh Harbor.
Yellow Air Taxi, is the way to go for cheap flights.

Mako 236
Shamrock 26
Schucker 44 Cutter
Dyer Dhow

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.