Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Making plan for to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas

Making sail plan to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas

Once again I need to your wisdom and experiences to make safe passage to Marsh Harbour. I hope we can do it in a week, but I will clear my calendar for 2 weeks.

Here is the sail plan:

1. Wait at Lake Worth for the proper weather window to cross the Gulf Stream to Great Sale Cay
2. Going east through Abacco Islands and stop at Monjack Island and Green Turtle bay.
3. Eventually get to Marsh Harbour
4. Fly to Florida and then back home (freezing).

If you would kindly comment on our plan. Things that I should look out for beyond the obvious. I have not done my homework, so I don't have Plans B and C yet. Please provide suggestions, I will study them before the trip.

All mighty captains, I thank you.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 12-19-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Dawg,

Are you signing on with another Captain again. Hopefully this boat has been "shaken down" and you have better luck than your last trip.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-19-2010

Yes Chief, the kids decided to snowboarding with their friends instead of going with us. So my wife and I decide not to go this year.

At the same time, the sea is calling again. This is only way I can gain more sailing experience is to sail with other captains. Despite all the problems we had last time while crewing, I did learn a lot. All the problems we had were preventable, but I have a chance to learn how to deal with in real time. At time, it was dangerous but it was calculated risk that I was willing to do. This time I will do better regarding inspecting the boat and securing everything. More importantly, I will have my own plan B ad C if the captain fails to make alternative plan.

I think I should be OK.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-19-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Was there 18 years ago.

Do you mean Nunjack Island and Green Turtle Cay?

Have you looked at how avoid the reefs between Whale Cay (Powell Cay on Google Maps) and Treasure Cay?

I am envious. You have no concept of freezing. It was -14 C when I walked the dog this morning.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-19-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Damn...-14C...now thats serious chill

Dawg, One way trip over? Wish I could have the free time from my job like you have. My wife would give me a hard time me taking off on expeditions for weeks at a time with responsibilites like home, kids and job.

I am envious and will have to live vicariously through you till I retire in a few years.

Good planning to have a plan B and C. this time. I have always checked the Captain out also with refernces when I have done what you are doing, as no need for a carzy man/ woman.

You have a 37 Jenneau on the Chesapeake correct?. Where do you keep her?

Keep posting..**:**)

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-19-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I have been planning a trip from Lake Worth to Marsh Harbor in March. I have not done this trip before and I have limited experience off shore. Just some day jumps between Miami, Ft L, LW, Stuart, crossing Fla Bay etc. Everything I have read and everyone I talk to stresses waiting for the right weather window and therefore the need to not have a schedule. My boat is slow, 4.5 knots, so I plan to leave LW heading due E and riding the Gulf Stream N and crossing the bank N of White Sands Ridge. From there the options are many. S to the east side of West End, on to Mangrove or Great Sale or straight thru to Spanish etc. My schedule is basically open but my crew’s is not. If we cross near the end of his time we would cross then head S to West End and he can taxi/shuttle to Freeport and fly home. But we both realize that if the weather is not right we will just sit and drink beer in LW. Coming from the north you also need to consider getting around Whale Cay to get to MH. I think you could get ashore at the ferry landing on Great Abaco Island and get to the airport by taxi if stuck N of the Whale.
Again: I have not done this trip so do not have first hand knowledge.This is just some of the stuff I have looked at. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 12-19-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
There are only two sticking points to your plan.

1. Waiting at Lake Worth, the way this winter is starting it seems it's a repeat of last year. Lots of fronts. But you have to wait so you can't help that. It may eat up a considerable part of your two weeks.

2. Getting from Green Turtle to Marsh Harbour. I don't think you're on a cat so you'll have to go through Whale Cay Cut. It can be bad if the weather's not cooperating. But you can get around this. Take the ferry from Green Turtle to the "mainland", Abaco. If you're flying out of Treasure Cay it's a short cab ride if out of Marsh Harbour, a longer one. But you'll make your flight.

Good luck and enjoy your sail.

Old 12-19-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Everybody goes outside at the Whale passage except for the very shallow draft,- 3' or so. Manjack and Nunjack are commonly said for the same place. My only suggestion would be, if you are waiting for weather at Lake Worth inlet, take the poor weather day to motor down the ICW to anchor in Lake Sylvia in Ft. Lauderdale. Though your distance to Memory Rock or Indian Cay will be a little further, you will more than make up for it with your ride on the Gulfstram current. We usually leave Port Everglades at 6am and cross onto the Bank at Indian Cay by 3pm. Our trip from West Palm usually takes about 1+1/2 hrs. longer. Take care and joy,Aythya crew
Old 12-20-2010

EGG-cellent comments captain. I will keep them in my book/head and check out all suggested locations. I don't have a Bahamas chart, so Google map will do it for now......hahaha. Captains, please do not have a heart attack. It is just an initial planing stage.

I am thinking to keep a watch on the weather, if the weather looks good I will fly down to Lake Worth and depart the next day to Bahamas. I hope the air fare is reasonable since I will book the same day or next day. I just can't sit at the dock waiting for the good weather window, but I will if I have to.

Time is more precious than money. I need to use it wisely.

Fine Print:
Old 12-20-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Dawg

You might also have a wait for a weather window for the Whale Cay passage portion of the trip. It involves going out into the Atlantic right where it shelves up. That can produce huge wave action that may not be apparent while on the inside.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)