Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Cell Phone Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I was tinking about building a cell phone alarm that would page me when the power goes out. I've been wanting to build a linear actuator button presser for some time, as a bilge alarm in the summer. It would be straightforward to convert it to a 12v-driven alarm when the 120v goes out.
This company makes an alarm system designed for boats. Boatsense Solutions Practical Sailor had an update on a review of this unit this month.

Where in New England are you sailing?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010

justified is on a distinguished road
Brad
First off You are the man keep sailing threw the winter.
How do you winterize your engine? I have a line that I teed into the raw water just above the thru hull long enough to come up on to the deck with a shutoff at the end. I stick it into a bucket and about 2gal of antifreeze shutoff raw h2o and start up again. Just my 2 cents.
Not sure where you are on LI but I'm in Old saybrook would love to join you for a sail.
Merry Christmas
Peter
"Frayed"
Old 12-22-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yes, eisenglass will break below about 45F, I've done this 3 times (2 x with sail windows) over 18 years of winter sailing. Best to leave the dodger up, I think, and don't move the windows all winter. Below freezing it is quite brittle. Be careful with all of the plastic on the boat.

Run jacklines and use a harness ALL THE TIME on deck. Fall in, you're toast.

IR thermometers do not read correctly on shiny surfaces, like SS. A spot of black paint or even black tape will fix that.

A few more thoughts:
Sail Delmarva: Winter Sailing

Have fun!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Ah, yer mad!
You know I sail in winter, but not since Nov 30. My "rules" preclude sailing when the temperature is much below 40 and the wind is more than moderate.
Old 12-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Ok, here are some pictures.

First an innocous picture while underway. Drool you land locked swabbies, drool!

Here's a shot of the Christmas lights. Not that there's ever anyone around to see them. This was taken while at the dock. You can see the reflection below.

Here's the new figurehead I mounted on the bow. It looks a lot like DavidPM. Seriously though, there was a huge flock of birds on the water that looked like a reef from far away. We were motoring over to check it out.

The winds were so light that I went up the mast to see if we could run the Bullet2HP cable down the mast. We were unsuccessful. I thought the 32 foot deep water had an interesting color.

During this process, David drove the boat around in circles trying to rock the boat from our wake, to help get the string run through the mast. I thought I had some video of it, taken from up the mast, but I must have been too busy holding on and jiggling the string to get it through the blockage.

Few people know of the Long Island Sound balloon gyre. It's mostly evident in winter.

Here's the stairs that I bought so my parents could easily get on board. I drove to Philly after working all day to get it from a guy that had it on eBay. It blew off the dock. It gets very windy here in the winter. Maybe it was stolen, but that would require somebody actually being at the marina. Also a marina worker said he saw it floating out the little harbor and then washed up on a nearby beach. (I looked, it's gone.) Maybe I should put up some "missing cat" type posters. You never know. "Reward for missing stairs, stepped away from anxoius owner."

Here's a sunset picture.

Here's the marina, as seen from up the mast. I didn't have to go all the way to the top this time because I was installing new a lazy jack line at the top spreader. (Edit: When you go up, you can really feel that the wind is stronger even 10 feet off the deck.)

Another sunset

Another sunset picture

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 01-04-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling/added 1 comment
Old 12-22-2010

justified is on a distinguished road
GREAT PICS . Keep them coming
Old 12-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
GREAT PICS . Keep them coming
OK, here are some more.

This sunset picture just screams winter.

I hosted a little get-together the day after Thanksgiving. I went to the boat the day before to clean-up, and took this picture. My camera was going through it's "blue" phase. All the pictures from that day have a blue tint to them.

Here's the little gathering. We ate, sailed and then ate. There was a little vodka flowing. (I had a beer after we got back to the dock, following good protocol.)

On one solo, I came across another boat. We talked for a bit. At one point we were going the same way and I took a couple dozen pictures, try ing to get one where the boat was in the path of the sun. I emailed it to the owner of the boat. Let me know if you want a (large) screen saver version of this. It's a good one.

Drool you landlubbers, drool! This was a fun day.

On the way to the marina one day, I saw a sailboat race. I got to stand at a really good spot to photograph the start.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 12-22-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
That group of Sunfish racers has got to be from the Sea Cliff YC frostbiting series unless they are from the Hempstead Harbor Club.
In case anyone was still wondering the location where Brad's photos are from.
Looking good BTW.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Caleb is right, it's the Sea Cliff YC. Joan and Carol were officiating.

Here's a shot of Caleb, on our June trip to the summer cruising grounds.
It ended up being a bumby trip.

Caleb was a big help earlier in the year when we were doing some spring cleaning. Here you can see some very white heads all lined up. They were not white when he started. He's the head man around Sea Cliff.

Regards,
Brad
Old 12-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Back on topic, here are a couple of happy guests, from the Thanksgiving Friday sail. Joe and Liz sail in Chicago. They actually manned their yacht club's booth at Strictly Sail last year. If you see them this year, tell them I said hi.

Regards,
Brad

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.