Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
Can I use that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSticks View Post
Out with the new..in with the old!
Thats exellent!

With your kind permission, I want to make that my new catchphrase!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2010
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
Go right ahead. It's a counterpoint that came to my mind recently when I heard a fellow say "history doesn't matter" as we were working to solve a technical problem.

Here's a better one, from Ogden Nash..."Progress might have been alright once but it has gone on too long."

To your original point about rejuvenating the soul with a simple sail......My friend, author Joe Garland, wrote this about a brief single-handed daysail in his little schooner, Bandit in "The World was Thirty-five Feet Long" from his book of short stories, "Beating to Windward."

"This was Bandit weather. She lay into it. Easy along on that port hitch, a real close reach, kept her lee rail dry, threw off a spatter of spray every now and then, but never a drop aboard except once when a teaspoonfull ran down a sneaker.

Did she lay into it? I hope to tell you. The suds all white and asparkle in the glint of the westing sun frothed by, and they fizzed like sody water, and dipped down so gracefully under the caress of her counter, swooping back up from the hull lines to meet the wake of rudder-boiled bubbles."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by FishSticks : 11-21-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Last edited by FishSticks; 12-28-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
All very nice Christmas sailing stories. Since my boat lies iced in on West River, Maryland, just south of Annapolis. The closest I have to offer was not quite 3 years ago on a January 7th morning with warm temps in the 50s I went out alone and had a glorious sail in about 8 knots of wind. I was able to see just 4 other boats, all of in the distance. These are the precious moments that make sailing so memorable and the reason I choose to own a sailboat rather than chartering one. I cherish my time sailing weather I spend hours and days or just a few minutes. It all settles my soul and makes life better. Fair Winds and Following Seas to all in the coming new year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
All very nice Christmas sailing stories. Since my boat lies iced in on West River, Maryland, just south of Annapolis. The closest I have to offer was not quite 3 years ago on a January 7th morning with warm temps in the 50s I went out alone and had a glorious sail in about 8 knots of wind. I was able to see just 4 other boats, all of in the distance. These are the precious moments that make sailing so memorable and the reason I choose to own a sailboat rather than chartering one. I cherish my time sailing weather I spend hours and days or just a few minutes. It all settles my soul and makes life better. Fair Winds and Following Seas to all in the coming new year!
Joe,
I bought my Etap 26 from a guy living in West River about 3 years ago. She was named Ruach and was on a mooring there for 25 years. Looks like a real nice sailing area. She had some rudder damage from ice floes.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 01-09-2011

nical is on a distinguished road
Some years ago, 5 of us were taking a 65' Swan from Chile to NZ by way of Marquesas, tuamotus. then Papeete, etc.
Christmas at sea ; about 10 South. Tradewinds rig. A day just like any other except for the feeling that I was closer to honoring the day in that simple, pure way than any forced gaiety/drink -eat-spend too much on a holiday which seems to have become little more than a mercantile numbers game.
The finest Xmas ever.
Old 01-10-2011
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
My boat is currently saving my life. I'd say she's worth it...
Old 01-10-2011

waterdog52 is on a distinguished road
Even when the weather is too cold or time is to short. I just have to go to the dock, check her lines and riggings, sit in the cabin and listen to water splash. I can plan the next waxing. I can plan the next outing....

After a few minutes the voices subside, and for a next few hours there is peace on earth and good will toward all men.

If I have to explain, you probably would not understand.....
Old 01-10-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Waterdog
No explanation necessary I get the same from mine and she is on the hard. Just to go and check and remove excess snow and then sit in the cabin, brings peace to my soul.

Peter
s/v Frayed
Old 01-10-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
My sailboat is my home away from home. Sitting down at the marina, oil lamp on, LED reading light on over the table, some music, the Seacook swingstove lit, and I'm a happy camper. I'm at my boat at least 4 days a week. Some nights I stay and simply add an extra half hour to my work commute the next morning. Sleep like a baby on the boat. My avatar pic was taken Christmas Day close to the Portland Airport.

Last edited by carl762; 01-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.